• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 RX1, timing jumped again BENT valves.

Rick Matuska

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX1 M-20 Airwave 121 , 08 NYTRO RTX 136
First time the valves got bent ,i had just cleaned carbs put in new needle seat o-rings in. Changed the oil it looked a little muddy from fuel i suspect,smelt like fuel. fired it up ran great for 30 seconds,shut off like using the key, turned it over sounded just like a dodge omni turning over that just broke timing belt. checked compression and nope non to be had , so i tore into it to find problem, Holy Moly this aint like working on 2 stroke everything has to come off to get the head off. when it quit it was only at an idle less then 1500rpm. 6 bent intake valves all outside valves,non of the center intake valves bent this time, took out cam chain tensioner checked that out, hmmm it dont appear to be workin ,took it apart and it was like it never was set at factory, it was all the way tight set in the shortest lenght ,so it never was able to tighten the chain ever, had to use a wrench and vise to loosen it so it could mechanically unscrew, got all valves replaced and lapped them in, head installed timing set dots on cam facing up to the arrows on cam retainers, spun it over checked rechecked felt we are good to go ,bolt it back together, turned the key and bam running sounded excellent. took it out of garage 10 feet out shuts off again ,hit key sounds like an omni again, this time it was at 5000 rpm just above ingaugment, tore into pull valve cover, yep there are more bent valves. has anyone incountered anything like this on your rx1, 1st time the valves got bent i blamed it on the malfunctioning cam chain tensioner. 2nd time i think it is the chain, i didnt put a new chain the 1st time, where do i go from here, i want this to be solid like its suppose to be.

i will look at that very close, chain did not break. thanks for the ideas.

I have a complete head, cams, valves and valve cover for an RX1 for sale.

As Ted goes fast suggested , i did have the intake cam seize on my RX1, with a little time i repaired the seized cam journal, I hope that with this repair that it works ,On my last repair i failed to use assembly lube on cam journals, 2nd time i used about every thing that would help.( lucas assembly lube, and lucas zinc zddp additive) so far i made a couple laps around yard on 2-18-17, yeah we have no snow 62 degrees here so couldnt go out and get a really good run with it, this time around i had to replace 7 intake valves, replaced the timing chain, head gasket,and i put a manual chain tensioner, i coundnt find one for an RX1 so i got one for an R1 scooter, fit perfect.

Back