• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx1 hanging idle

Deptron

hope somebody can help me out here.....

I have what is a fairly new to me 05 rx1 with a hanging idle problem. I've tried te read all the posts I can find on here tried everything with still no luck. I've had the carbs off to clean them 3 times now, every time the jets including the pilot look clean. I've tried backing the pilot screw out to 2.5 turns. Sprayed starter fluid around the carb flanges? looking for and air leak, and I did find one but I tightened the bolts on the motor side and have seemed to fixed the leak. The Rpms seem to sit around 2500 before they will come down to 1500 after about 10-15seconds. I tried plugging the exhaust looking for an exhaust leak, it bogs down almost dying so I think the donuts are ok. All of the spark plugs are the same color, light grey-white. The first time I took the carbs apart a couple of the orings around the main jets were broken so I removed the orings from all of them. Im not sure what to try next aside from taking it to the dealer, which I really don't what to do. Any info is greatly appreciated.......

I might be able to help! Just not familiar with the term hanging idle, what exactly does this mean?

When the machine is warm, after I have let go of the throttle, the engine will not come back down to proper idling RPMs right away, it will "hang" around 2500rpm for a while before it drops down to the 1400rpm's it should idle at.

are those little black o rings in between the top plastic cover and the carb still there? I know these have caused others issues.

I took one of the tops off, the o-ring was in that one. I have not removed the other caps, as it seemed quite fiddly.

is it possible a main jet has been mistaken for a powerjet?

I do not believe so. When cleaning I take them out one at a time and the put it back in before moving on to the next jet.

exhaust leak?

I've seen the same "hanging idle" response on my rx1 because the idle adjust screw was backed out too much though the lag at the higher rpm was about 2-3 seconds not the 10-15 seconds you've described. Still might want to have a look at the idle adjust screw.

I have the new exhaust donuts sitting there ready to go in, just have to find the time. Although I don't think that is the problem. I have fiddled with the idle set screw, turning it in and out, without much change in the hang time.

Did you happen to clean or remove the little screens under the needle/ seat? Could be partially plugged creating intermittent lean condition. These little screens are often overlooked(they shouldn't be there imo) I removed mine and installed filters on the fuel lines. There is also a filter in the tank.

This I have not done, sounds intriguing! Where are these little screens located. I think I have seen a photo of them in another thread, but don't know where they are located.

Its been a while but if I recall they are under the needle inlet assembly ( Where the fuel enters the float bowl)Remove float bowl ,float,float needle,needle seat.

Back