• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx1 hanging idle

I had a hanging idle on my 04 warrior and could never get it to a steady constant idle until I synced my carbs. Was by far night and day difference after, perfect steady idle, no clutch rattle and better throttle response. Made my own sync tool using atf fluid. Also check for arching coils, if the coils still have the metal sleeve around them ditch those. Arching coils can cause many running/misfire issues that you may think is a fuel problem. Mine always arched no matter how much grease I put on them or clean they were. My coils never arched again with the sleeves removed.

Still hanging idle, synced the carbs, now the idle hangs smoother, so that is something. I have another rack of carbs, I think I will clean them and go for the wtf parts swap out. Bad enough if this was mine, but it is for a friend and snow is coming. Now at least the idle hangs just below engagement.

Thing still acts like a vaccume leak. Could there be an issue with the pump. Sled runs great other than the idle. May have to make up a drip tank to bypass the pumps to see if it effects idle.

Another thought. I haven't removed the chokes, I wonder if one of them could have come apart and is floating around in there causing erratic idle?
Got to go make money.

Thing still acts like a vaccume leak. Could there be an issue with the pump. Sled runs great other than the idle. May have to make up a drip tank to bypass the pumps to see if it effects idle.

My warrior developed a bad hanging idle recently also, time to balance the carbs. I've had that cause issues in the past so its usually my first place to look. Anyway, as far as a vacuum leak, when it hangs, you can always just pinch off the two vacuum lines going to the pumps. If the hang drops immediately, that might be it. (try it numerous times so you don't randomly pinch it when it drops on its own.)

the saga continues, reset floats as they were high, checked over and removed all chokes to make sure there wasn't something hanging them up a tiny bit, perfectly clean. reinstalled and synced . Same issue. I am now after setting back for a moment thinking my pilots might have a tiny bit of corrosion on the inside where I cant see, making the hole a tiny bit smaller. I am going with different pilots. My thought is, it bothers most after coming off throttle going to idle circuit. If the pilots are too small, this would cause a lean hang up in idle till everything evened out. This would take a long time if the fuel screws are set correctly, and it does. What made me think of this was my viper when installing slp pipes, the idle would hang if I ran the recommended pilots when I let off the throttle coming to a stop. Had to go a size larger.

Hopefully this is the culprit. I sure am getting fast at removing rx1 carbs. A skill no one needs to be proficient in.

the saga continues, reset floats as they were high, checked over and removed all chokes to make sure there wasn't something hanging them up a tiny bit, perfectly clean. reinstalled and synced . Same issue. I am now after setting back for a moment thinking my pilots might have a tiny bit of corrosion on the inside where I cant see, making the hole a tiny bit smaller. I am going with different pilots. My thought is, it bothers most after coming off throttle going to idle circuit. If the pilots are too small, this would cause a lean hang up in idle till everything evened out. This would take a long time if the fuel screws are set correctly, and it does. What made me think of this was my viper when installing slp pipes, the idle would hang if I ran the recommended pilots when I let off the throttle coming to a stop. Had to go a size larger.

Hopefully this is the culprit. I sure am getting fast at removing rx1 carbs. A skill no one needs to be proficient in.

Keep us posted Bee! Very informative to us carb owners. I'm curious if just throwing in a new set of jets will fix the problem?

Can someone burn this sled.
installed new 17.5 pilots, nothing changed
swapped out carb bodies with another set that included, tps and tors switch, all heaters, cleaned and adjusted floats to 13mm, used all jets and bellows and slides from the original sled. no difference, also gave boots another check while carbs were off, twisted and pulled, saw nothing for cracks. Can get the sled to idle good, 1500ish, works fine, even bumping throttle, comes back down, go to move the sled and idle goes up to 35-4500 and hangs there. also, when you shut it off, backfires usually. In between I also inspected chokes, they are clean and close tight. Tomorrow, I might throw a set of 20 pilots in it but it just doen't seem like that is going to do it. This sled is making me sick.

what does cut stock springs do to carbs, havent messed with them but I wonder if maybe someone has messed with it. Could it be the slides not closing down all the way? This is the only thing I can think of. I only have a set of gold springs to try in it, no other stock ones. Anyone who has messed with the springs chime in please.

Checked it and springs were not tampered with

timing issue?

anything go wrong with a pump that could effect idle?

doing desperate straw grasping

Disregard the factory settings. Set your fuel screws to 2 1/2. This made the sled idle down. Still is lean at 1/8 throttle. Going to go for 20 pilots now and, again, disregard the factory settings.
I think they set them so lean, when the slides and shafts wear in and let more air by, it's enough to throw it off.

Last edited:
Being that your sled runs good at idle and light throttle, it sounds like your pilot jets are good and carb boots are good. If it hangs at higher RPM after throttling up, I would first point at the slides hanging slightly open, causing a lean situation or just gas still flowing into the carb body. This could be weakened springs due to age or improper needle height. Drop the needle 1-2 notches by moving the clips up. Make sure that air box is on tight too and sealing up good when snapped shut. This may be repetition from a previous post but I didn't read them all.

So more on the sled. It ended up that the 20 pilots gave it a slight bog so I went back to the stock pilots and increased the fuel screw to 2 3/4 turns out. Idle is stilldown and bog is gone though this sled still has a slight dead spot around 1/4 throttle. Have time to experiment with needles. Later I will mess with it. Also wanted to resync the carbs with the new screw settings thought I don't think it would throw them off, just want to make sure.

Back