• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Nytro rear suspension failure

Zomboskid

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Sidewinder BTX
86 SRV 540
i was riding my nytro on the trails yesterday and i was doing about 50 (atleast that's what the speedo said) and all of a sudden, my track locks up and i was a little confused at first. i was looking around to see if anything was different, and it looks like the rough trail spring (the one that is not around the shock) had broken a bolt and hit my track. luckily, it didn't hurt the track, and we had to slightly back the sled up to release tension, and we bungie corded it up and rode it home. the bolt that broke is the one that holds the first boggie wheel, and the spring block into the rail. is there any thing that i could do differently to make sure this doesn't happen again, because this had me a little freaked out cause that was my second ride on the thing.

Do you mean the rear most SHOCK in the rear skid? The one with the piggyback reservoir on it?

OR

The coiled spring (there are 2 in the rear skid) and the bolt that that holds the "thingy" (I can't tell by the parts fiche) that keeps the LONG end of the spring in place? I had this skid originally in my 05 Vector.

Either way, in the 11 or so years I've been around this board, honestly this is the first time I've ever heard of this happening. Not that it hasn't happened to others....it's just not a frequent occurrence is all.

If it's more than nuts and bolts you need, suggest going to www.barnofparts.com for any repair parts you may need. Nuts, bolts, etc.....your local Yamaha dealer might be a better choice...unless they have to order them.

EDIT - SORRY, I reread your post and it sounds like it's the second of my scenario's. No need to freak out. I would replace the bolt with a new one. The sled is 11 years old. Stuff is going to break unfortunately.

Yeah it is the coil spring, we accually forgot the "thingy" that the front of the spring rides on, and I had to go back on my buddies rx1 to find it the next morning.

All the bolts are gettin picked up today from a local Yamaha dealer and hopefully we can get the sled put back together before this weekend.

EDIT: After investigating into this further, we found out that my front bolt that hold the skid frame In, ALMOST came out, it had two threads left on the nut. That would have been bad if that bolt came out.

Yeah it is the coil spring, we accually forgot the "thingy" that the front of the spring rides on, and I had to go back on my buddies rx1 to find it the next morning.

All the bolts are gettin picked up today from a local Yamaha dealer and hopefully we can get the sled put back together before this weekend.

EDIT: After investigating into this further, we found out that my front bolt that hold the skid frame In, ALMOST came out, it had two threads left on the nut. That would have been bad if that bolt came out.

Easier said than done put personally if I bought a used sled I'd check EVERY nut and bolt for tightness. Don't want a front suspension bolt coming out when you're going 70 mph down the trail!

Did you pull it all the way out put BLUE loctite on the loose bolt? Better yet, I'd bet that bolt's "integrity" is compromised and would get a new bolt and put it in.

Is Don and Roy's still a dealer down there? We are from the area.....moved north in 2000.

Easier said than done put personally if I bought a used sled I'd check EVERY nut and bolt for tightness. Don't want a front suspension bolt coming out when you're going 70 mph down the trail!

Did you pull it all the way out put BLUE loctite on the loose bolt? Better yet, I'd bet that bolt's "integrity" is compromised and would get a new bolt and put it in.

Is Don and Roy's still a dealer down there? We are from the area.....moved north in 2000.
We did check the bolts, but I don't think there was "enough" loctite put on, sense we were running low.

Nope, don and Roy's doesn't stock any Yamaha stuff anymore. We normally go to Schauer Power in Racine for some of our parts, and we have our three 4strokes maintenances by a small place in Hartford wi called Mikes Motorsports.
They do a great job, and that was the only part we didn't tell them to check when we first got it (it was only running in two cylinders when we first got it, so our main concern was the motor).

We did check the bolts, but I don't think there was "enough" loctite put on, sense we were running low.

Nope, don and Roy's doesn't stock any Yamaha stuff anymore. We normally go to Schauer Power in Racine for some of our parts, and we have our three 4strokes maintenances by a small place in Hartford wi called Mikes Motorsports.
They do a great job, and that was the only part we didn't tell them to check when we first got it (it was only running in two cylinders when we first got it, so our main concern was the motor).

If you don't mind tinkering a bit, install two clear, inline fuel filters before the fuel pump. Keeping those carbs as clean as possible is imperative on the carb'd 3 cylinders. Proper use of the choke (NEVER use it after the sled has been started for the day unless it's been sitting for a long time and is cold again) will help prevent fouling plugs.

I bought my new 2000 Polaris 600 Deluxe from them. Nice people! Good to see them still in business! They were a Poo/Cat dealer back then.

If you don't mind tinkering a bit, install two clear, inline fuel filters before the fuel pump. Keeping those carbs as clean as possible is imperative on the carb'd 3 cylinders. Proper use of the choke (NEVER use it after the sled has been started for the day unless it's been sitting for a long time and is cold again) will help prevent fouling plugs.

I bought my new 2000 Polaris 600 Deluxe from them. Nice people! Good to see them still in business! They were a Poo/Cat dealer back then.
Yea they have moved to mainly to ski doo, and parts for all of the brands except Yamaha

When we first got the sled, we took it to mike's motorsports, and they cleaned the carbs, did an oil change, and put new plugs in, and they estimated that the gas was a year old. So I rode it for a while to drain the old gas out. There's a fresh tank of gas in it now, and it's BROKEN, and I can't ride!

Yea they have moved to mainly to ski doo, and parts for all of the brands except Yamaha

When we first got the sled, we took it to mike's motorsports, and they cleaned the carbs, did an oil change, and put new plugs in, and they estimated that the gas was a year old. So I rode it for a while to drain the old gas out. There's a fresh tank of gas in it now, and it's BROKEN, and I can't ride!

Well, it doesn't help to say that this seems like an issue that can be fixed within days. FWIW - I would have drained out the gas that was a year old and not run it through. ALl you might have done is hasten the process of getting the carb's all gummed up again.

You guys have a hard time finding non-ethanol fuel down there don't you?

Yep a
Well, it doesn't help to say that this seems like an issue that can be fixed within days. FWIW - I would have drained out the gas that was a year old and not run it through. ALl you might have done is hasten the process of getting the carb's all gummed up again.

You guys have a hard time finding non-ethanol fuel down there don't you?
Yep most of the gas stations down here add ethanol into their premium, and when we bought it, we didn't know how long it sat before we bought it.

check all those bolts at least a couple of times after you have had the skid out. hd them start coming loose on me a few times before if i had them out for maintenece.

i was riding my nytro on the trails yesterday and i was doing about 50 (atleast that's what the speedo said) and all of a sudden, my track locks up and i was a little confused at first. i was looking around to see if anything was different, and it looks like the rough trail spring (the one that is not around the shock) had broken a bolt and hit my track. luckily, it didn't hurt the track, and we had to slightly back the sled up to release tension, and we bungie corded it up and rode it home. the bolt that broke is the one that holds the first boggie wheel, and the spring block into the rail. is there any thing that i could do differently to make sure this doesn't happen again, because this had me a little freaked out cause that was my second ride on the thing.
We will fix the other side next fall. I glad we had a great ride last weekend.

Back