• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Rage...Motor Shut Down

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
We just filled up after a 100 mile ride, started down the trail got 100 feet and the motor cuts out. The primary turns when trying to fire it up. Turning the primary by hand it seems to have compression. It looks like it is turning slow but freely when hitting the key to start it. Any thoughts??

Put it on a jump pack on it & try to start it.

If it starts & stays running long enough, get a multimeter on the jumper leeds set to 20v DC, & see what ya got.

If it's lower than upper 13s, to low 14v, like say 12 or lower, the stator died.

How many miles on said machine?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

it has 3500 miles on it.

Failures can obviously happen at any point, but it seems like stator failures have been a higher mileage.

But your description sounds like it. Stator croaked, & it ran till the battery was dead.

Ouch!!!! just heard back from the service manager, my buddy didn't get the full scope and repair estimate but its not good. The quick diagnoses was it jumped the timing and internal damage is the result. We don't know yet how bad it is, but I'm sure its not pretty. Chatting with the sled owner (not the same guy riding it when it blew) I asked him about his maintenance program. Since new in 05 he stated he has changed the oil 3 times (every 1000 miles) and in October of 16 he put a couple of gallons of fuel in to start it up for the season. Sled sat until early March for its first ride of the season in that state. When they fired it up to load on the trailer it would not idle right (high idle) and when it was chocked down it would stall out. Point is the maintenance on this machine has been poor at best. I said to the owner 3 oil changes in 12 years? really? Oil breaks down just like fuel not to mention the oil filter being mush. He said nothing of course. So as always there more to the story of this machine just haven't got to the bottom of it yet.

The early vectors and rages have well know cam chain tensioners issues. There is a replacement tensioner to eliminate the issue. My guess is the replacement was never done.

You are correct! Its gonna get done now but with a lot more parts as well. A real shame, so much info on TY. Should have never gotten to this point.

Ok... I understand your pissed, and blame the previous owner for not changing the oil often enough.

This is not on him, the timing chain tensioner failed, which is a known issue in '05-'07 973 tripples.

Second... Yamaha says change oil every 2500 miles & filter every 12,000!!

So the previous owner changed oil & filter more often than service manual/Yamaha recommended.

When the tensioner fails, pistons hit valves with clatter & obvious noise.

You heard nothing? It just shut off?? Hmmmm....

This failure is neither yours or the previous owners fault. It's a failed mechanical part that is known to fail without someone taking the initiative to update the tensioner to the new one.

Motors that jump time are most costly to fix than a replacement motor. Have your buddy contact me. I have several good used motors here right now.

I'm not pissed at all. The original owner is still the owner. I have no dog in this fight! Not my sled, I wasn't riding it when she blew. Just trying to help with some research on why she blew.

That sounds like a winner winner chicken dinner to me! I will pass along. Thanks hibshman!

I'm not pissed at all. The original owner is still the owner. I have no dog in this fight! Not my sled, I wasn't riding it when she blew. Just trying to help with some research on why she blew.
Oh ok....

Well, anyhow, he's maintained it fine as far as oil changes in my opinion.

I don't let the filter go. I change it at each oil change.

He should be mad at himself then for risking an engine over a $130 part. Especially being the original owner. Yamaha did issue a bulletin back in the day about the tensioner.

That's what I told him as well. Known problem and a bulletin was issued from Yamaha. He has a dealer that he likes that has done all the service work for him. I said "and he never mentioned this to you." No reply!

That's what I told him as well. Known problem and a bulletin was issued from Yamaha. He has a dealer that he likes that has done all the service work for him. I said "and he never mentioned this to you." No reply!
10-4.

You're a good friend it sounds like, & have done all the leg work.

Unfortunately, with the failure rate being a statistical number of less than 1%, most dealers chose to ignore the fact themselves.

Which is complete bullshit. It was warranty work, guaranteed payment for the work, unlike the possibility of getting screwed by the customer.

The bulletin said replacement of said part if audible noise. A REAL GOOD dealer "heard the noise" for their customer, updated the tensioner & kept him/her on the trail & not sitting along side it with a destroyed valvetrain & possibly cracked pistons.

Statistically less than 1%, until it happens to you... then it's 100%.

Unfortunately I just joined the 4 stroke forum in Late January, been a member on the 2 smoke side since early 2000's maybe late 90's. Snow checking my first 4 stroke so I joined to learn and get opinions on 4 strokers. Never thought I would be looking at why this motor blew. I've told them many times about TY and the information that's available...can lead a horse to water....now I'm looking to ease the pain for them as to why and the least expensive route.

Last edited:

Back