• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Vector Intermittent Performance

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
Yesterday I was about 80 miles into the day when all of a sudden at about 85 MPH in a long straight uphill section when the motor suddenly lost most of it's power gradually slowing to about 30 MPH, I then pull over and have to pop the hood in front of my Ski Doo buddies.... nothing was hot, started right up after an inspection and brief break and idled ok, tried again and speed was limited, came over a hill and it seemed a bit better so I cruised home about 10 miles gently around 45MPH. It was occasionally sputtery but I did not get on it as I did not want to cause any damage and wanted to get back before it got real late.

I have been reading some, seems the only real issues with the vectors is the TORS system and occasional Stator issues. TORS is more of an issue from a start correct? any tips on diagnosing, repairing?

TORS would set code 84, and furthermore, when TORS faults, it wouldn't move at all. It would stutter the ignition just above idle & not let the engine rev.

If it was stuttering like electronic, check the voltage at the jumper leeds with a multimeter set on 20v DC. If it's not at least 13.8-14.3v the stator is likely going out.

If the voltage checks out, next would be likely fuel related if it was stuttering & losing power. Pumps getting weak, filter clogged, carburetor problems?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Awesome info, thanks! Like any toy you need to get some wrench time and do some reading to get familiar

Read the last post on 06 Rage motor shut down. That sled was acting the same way as yours. Losing power at high speeds. These motors also had a cam chain tensioner issue which can be catastrophic if not addressed.

so I did some poking, Stator is solid I had 14.3 volts consistently. The in tank filters look a little Brown, I assume they were tan initially, I did try to pull them out but there is not enough hose to pull them thru the opening, I think they would fit thru the fuel sender opening but I need to order a seal before pulling it apart just incase... I didn't think they looked so bad as to slow flow but I will change to eliminate the possibility.
could you explain two pickups/filters/pumps to feed three carbs? seemed a little strange, also what should fuel pressure be if I want to plumb in a gauge for testing?

Back