• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 apex rpm's very low and stalls when warm on idle

WinderFab

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder Ltx GT
I've seen this topic before but can't seem to find it in the search,

My 07 apex started doing this for a few years now and kind of getting a little tired of this and would like to get it resolved if possible, when cold motor starts fine idles high than goes down to where it's supposed to be than as it gets warmer the engine starts to go up and down, once riding and motor is hot as soon as I stop for any reason within a few seconds the motor will start revving down and it will stall out, when I fuel up I don't shut the sled off because by the time I get off the sled it will stall out, as soon as I try to start it again it will start right up with no problems and run fine till the next time I stop again for some time,

Sled always starts and runs fine only happens when I let go off the throttle for a few seconds or more,

Any ideas would be great help...

Have you checked and made sure that the intake boots are on secure and tight all the way around.Does it act up more if its colder or warmer out? also are your throttle bodies closing shut when engine is warm when you chop the throttle? if there were any codes you would notice im sure.just some questions,i have never had this issue.

Yes I have checked the boots many times,

It does it all the time every time I ride, don't really see a difference when the temp changes,

I haven't check the bodies yet if they are closed or not, will check them,

No codes

If I can remember right I have seen on other post that it might be the throttle position sensor, what do you guys think..

Have the exact same problem down to a t. Have spent countless hours trying to diagnose with no results. Idles down to 1000 or 900 when hot, stalls often. Have ripped almost everything apart on the sled trying to figure it out :o| Have spent hours on here readying. At the point where I'm about to give up or sell it. Checked TPS, IAC, throttle body sync, air temp sensor, air box, exhaust donuts, just to name a few.

This reminds me of when my truck was idling high warm plenty warm , I changed the Temp Sensor and it fixed the high idle back to normal. It was telling my truck that it wasn't warm up keeping it high.if it was my sled acting up like this I would change out the temp sensor and thermostat and see ? These items go bad in time . If it doesn't fix you can rule that out.

Same here. Started at around 8000 miles +/- (11,000 now) It warms-up fine, but as soon as you come to that first, or second STOP sign engine shuts off, gauges stay lit-up (didn't notice any codes) a few cranks and it's going again. Won't repeat until I shut it off and let it sit long enough to have a burger.

I had hoped the new stator/pickup would've resolved it, and I JUST put a new set of donuts on it, and dbl & triple check intake boots, but NOPE. I thought I read somewhere on here about a faulty relay...Anyone?

I think this is a problem that no one I know of has come up with a definite cure. Mine did the same thing until I serviced the IAC, it is better now but still not right.

I replaced my stator the week before the riding season began. I did not remember my sled doing this last year. My sled now has the exact same symptoms described above, it wants to stall at the stop signs if I don't keep the RPMs up with the throttle.

4Fighter said:
Same here. Started at around 8000 miles +/- (11,000 now) It warms-up fine, but as soon as you come to that first, or second STOP sign engine shuts off, gauges stay lit-up (didn't notice any codes) a few cranks and it's going again. Won't repeat until I shut it off and let it sit long enough to have a burger.

I had hoped the new stator/pickup would've resolved it, and I JUST put a new set of donuts on it, and dbl & triple check intake boots, but NOPE. I thought I read somewhere on here about a faulty relay...Anyone?
So it starts up just fine and idles down like normal after a few minutes if its been sitting all nite? when we first fire up these sleds it idles up > red light on till it reaches a certain temp > then goes off >then comes down to idle .the Temp sensor controls the idle on cold start-up,i dont know -but it may be acting up causing these issues when warm?? seems like all you guys that have this issue the sleds run great no problems,and checked everything else to find nothing wrong.i have 9000mi and it runs like a clock,but if mine were doing this i would replace that sensor and thermostat just to see ,..like i said above i changed it on my truck and it idled fine after.but a relay like you said could possibly be bad ..

I believe it is on the side of the airbox. I was going to try this before this thread was posted, just didn't want to drop the $$ not knowing if it was the issue or not. How much are they BTW?

Im sorry i should of been more specific on what temp sensor ... i am talking about the >Coolant Temp Sensor< located on the right side just below the thermostat green plug. i dont believe its the sensor in the airbox because the sleds start just fine when cold .

The fix for me was to put the gauge into diagnostic mode and lean the idle fuel mixture a bit. Mine are all set to -5. Cold starts about 2200 rpm Idles down to 1600 ish and stays there. Bone stock 08 apex ltx gt 40th. Hope this helps you guys.

I'm in the exact same boat too.

I was beginning to wonder if there is the chance that this was the first sign of a bad stator or possible failing battery. As if it didn't have the power to maintain spark at idle.

The reason I thought this was that I am not the only one that noticed the Yamahaheater light on the dash flickering between red/green at the same time. I thought that may have been a sign of a drop in voltage.

Keep the thoughts coming, and if someone solves this, PLEASE REPORT BACK!!

Good luck!

Back