• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Venture Lite runs with Key engaged only

AlexiNunavut

Has anyone come across the above situation before and been able to troubleshoot?

Ignition sequence occurs normally, the engine begins to run, and as soon as I let the key slide back to the left, the engine quits.

However, if I keep the key turned to the right, the engine continues to run, albeit smelling a little like its flooding, although the engine doesnt sound like it is bogging.

Battery is topped up with a trickle charger, and I have replaced the starter relay assembly thinking this was the problem.

Found that my 15A fan fuse was burned and replaced it but found no change.

I have already had around 50km of use out of it this season until this happened so I am at a bit of a loss.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Crazy Canuk reply

Thanks for thinking on this situation.

Just judging from the noise, I think the starter stops operating once the engine starts to run.

Whatever is happening, the machine does seem to sense that the engine is running and the starter can stop turning.

I have the same problem with a 2007 venture lite. I bought it new it has 20 kms on it and the starter solenoid went.
It ran fine starting by shorting the solenoid but as soon as i changed it it wont run unless the key is in start position. Any help would bd appreciated.

As was suggested in 2010, could be a bad ignition switch. Does stuff turn on normally when just turned to "On"? Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

everything works i hear a click at fuel pump but doesnt prime. I found a note about faulty fuel pump relays and am checking that out now. Parts are slow to arrive in the north but will post if thats the issue
Thanks much

Be sure to order the new solid state (red) relay for the fuel pump. Much more reliable and not prone to freezing. Search in the FAQ for the part number.

Resolved. The new starter solenoid had the fuel pump link on the negative side. Changed cables put in a new pump relay anyay and its all good.
Thanks for help and happy sledding

Resolved. The new starter solenoid had the fuel pump link on the negative side. Changed cables put in a new pump relay anyay and its all good.
Thanks for help and happy sledding
That was my thot. They look the same but are not. Fixed an Apex with a Vector solenoid. Swapped the terminals around and all was good.

Back