• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.6" Ice Cobra on 2011-2015 Apex?

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
We have had this discussion in another thread, and I am opening this up to all the 11-15 Apex owners. I have searched and searched and have yet to find someone that has installed this track.

So please, as much as I appreciate your experience with other configs, and your speculation I am going to be very specific with my question, as there are a number of us on here that want to run the 1.6" Ice Cobra on a 2011-2015 Apex.

Has anyone done this and have they caused any damage? In the other thread we all agreed that a 1.5-1.75" track will run fine with the front exchanger protector pulled out and possibly the tunnel protectors. We also know the risks of studs etc. But we really want to hear specifically if anyone has run the 1.6" Ice Cobra on this date range of sleds

I am sitting with a brand new Ice Cobra in the box ready to go on my XTX, but I am hesitant as I am going to pull my front protectors and let 'er buck. As we also noted, the stud tips are tiny, and if it were to balloon on hard braking up front would those tips just scratch the crap out of the exchanger, or puncture that sucker like a full stud? Who knows. As always your advice and shared experience is greatly appreciated.

I ran one on my viper, loved this track. Have an 11 apex xtx that I want to put one on.

Well, I am going to take one for the team this weekend then. I plan on pulling the front exchanger protectors and we will see on the tunnel protectors, I'm sure they will have to come out as well.

But don't be surprised when I start a Go-fund-Me page when one of the little studs takes out my front heat exchanger and my EXUP! If it works, I think it has got to be the ideal track for the trail guys that want to give this machine some off trail hook up.

Wish me luck

Biff, keep us posted, but I think your front exchanger will be fine, and I think your EXUP will be fine without the upper tunnel protectors as well.

Apples to oranges here, but I run my new 1.5 lug intense loose (1.5" sag with M20 suspension) and it never once made contact with the front cooler. My good friend Agman57 ran his Apex XTX with a 1.75 Backcountry and the front tubes removed; he never once had an issue with the track making contact with the cooler either.

By the way, there will be MUCH less ice buildup in the tunnel with the upper tunnel protectors removed. ;)!

Thanks for the feedback. I can only hope it will be less ice like when I dropped a 1.5" Freeride into my Phazer. It was an amazing improvement.

Maybe I am just being totally paranoid. When I popped open the camoplast box yesterday, I ran my finger over one of those tiny little studs and totally lost my nerve to install it. They are like thick rubber-coated dental pics! Rainy weekend, I guess I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I can only hope it will be less ice like when I dropped a 1.5" Freeride into my Phazer. It was an amazing improvement.

Maybe I am just being totally paranoid. When I popped open the camoplast box yesterday, I ran my finger over one of those tiny little studs and totally lost my nerve to install it. They are like thick rubber-coated dental pics! Rainy weekend, I guess I have my work cut out for me.
If for some reason you think the EXUP is getting kicked, let me know and I'll send you a template I saved to make the tunnel runners like I made for my Apex. All you would have to do is mimic the bends and drill the mounting holes...simple! I think you'll be fine though.

20161204_075218.jpg
20161204_082654.jpg

Those are sweet! Nice work.

So I am in the middle of this project now. I have all the panels off, my secondary and speedo off. I just dropped the chaincase oil and am going to drop my skid. The question that came up that I had not noticed, or remembered were the two mounting holes for the rear skid bolts. Can a person use the lower holes with a 1.6" track and avoid taking out the tunnel protection? Or does the mess up the geometry of the skid and ride? I am assuming that is what that lower hole was for is a bigger lug track.

Thanks again! 8am, and I am making good progress. Although everything I have done so far, I have done many times. Taking the chaincase off, not so much.

Status update.... Broke one 12mm open ended wrench trying to loosen the back brake caliper bolt. OMG, that damn thing is loctited on tight. I don't think I can even get heat back there. taps with a hammer are next. But man, what a pain.

More to come...

tried a torch and some strikes with a hammer and counter rotation i'm f'd if i round that bolt out or dont get it out altogether grrrr

Last edited:
Had that issue with mine last year. Get a shorty 12mm wrench on it then tap with a hammer. At least I think that's what I did. I replaced the bolt because it was half rounded when I got it finally.

I know its not in every ones budget but you just can't beat good quality tools like Mac or Snap-on. I have the Snap-on Flank Drive wrenches. They never fail me.

Status update.... Broke one 12mm open ended wrench trying to loosen the back brake caliper bolt. OMG, that damn thing is loctited on tight. I don't think I can even get heat back there. taps with a hammer are next. But man, what a pain.

More to come...

tried a torch and some strikes with a hammer and counter rotation i'm f'd if i round that bolt out or dont get it out altogether grrrr
Biff, remove the plastic panel directly above the right foot well (reverse lever goes through it). This will give you some more room to work. You can also remove the the reverse handle and shift linkage for even more room.

Well, I finally got it buttoned up, tested and aligned last night around 10:30. That's a ton of hours on this, but I did all my regular maintenance and then some while at it. Here is a quick summary.

The brake bolt was not even loctited, just seized hard. I bought new wrenches, use a torch and hammer. I ended up rounding it out and finally grabbing that bastard with a vice grip. I did replace it, of course. That ate up quite a bit of time.

I got my skid out to find that 3000+ miles on Dupont hyfax was just breaking it in! Literally it had lost 1/3 of the vespel inserts, but was wearing very evenly. I am impressed and had a spare set on the shelf, so those bad boys went in to. Of course, this was the perfect time to fully service the skid. She looks good for 4600 miles. I greased all the zerts and checked bearings.

I was super cautious of the all parts. I ended up using small cups for the bolts/parts from each section of the sled. My magnetic parts trays would have filled up multiple times if I had not.

Taking the chaincase out was not totally hard, but the write ups in the tech area here are gold. I copied/pasted them all into a word document and printed it out in a logical order so that I had a Grease-ready copy at my fingertips. I pulled out the sections that didn't apply, or were for other vintage Apex. I did find some small changes in my 2012. I will try to document them in my youtube video. I had the gopro running over my shoulder the whole time.

Once I had the ripsaw out, I spent some quality time in the tunnel grinding those front protectors out. The tip of putting piece of sheet metal was gold! I only touched it a couple times. The combination of dremel and vice grips and they were out. I would have used the air grinder, but the fear of messing up that exchanger pushed me to the dremel. The tunnel protectors were just a few nuts as noted earlier. I am going to watch clearance, as I may drop to the lower hole in back. But it looks good.

Got the new track in, and it looks like a BEAST!! wow. I dig it. I put my chaincase back together twice, as I had missed the one page on getting the reverse forks in the correct position while putting the cover back in place. I got my linkage all back in place and adjusted my parking brake while I was at it.

So after wrestling with that skid for what seems like an hour and half, I finally got the front holes to line up. Once all mounted, I fired it up to start the alignment process. I scared myself when I fired up the sled and it was shreaking at me with no errors on the dash. Duh, it was in reverse from mounting the brake caliper. Drop her out of reverse and everyone is happy.

I did some forward and backward spins and tested my brakes on the stand and checked clearance. There is lots of room up front and underneath. All in all, this was the perfect project for a rainy Saturday and saved myself a few hundred dollars in the shop. My wife thinks I'm crazy when she saw the parts laid out in the garage.

Today, should be a great day to test. I did leave the track a bit on the tight side. 1. for clearance and 2. I know it will stretch a bit. I will check tension after riding today. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 789
  • TLTU1297.jpg
    TLTU1297.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 340
So the front protectors must come out? I didn't measure clearance on mine but looked close to enough room. This track is only .35 inches taller. What about cutting them in half length ways so they still offer something but are not out as far?

Tator, from what the other guys were saying, they got a bit of rub with the 1.75 and the potential with the 1.5. So I pulled those and the rears.

I just got back from 96 miles in spring conditions. So we had sloppy trails, good snow, dirt and iced roads. A bit of everything. All I can say is this is some ski lifting fun!! AMAZING track. I kept stopping to check for scratches in my muffler and exup. Nothing yet, but then again the trails were smooth, so no huge G-outs.

The XTX has a crazy flap design too, it never really did much good with the old track, but with this track in a field, it will throw the most badass slush roosters!! I buried my buddy by accident!!

One of the renegades in our group was not studded, and we were flying a section of plowed road. He said he was all over the place and I had not really thought about it, but I had total control. So the little studs actually did help greatly. I am more than pleased with this track.

I am still sore from laying on the floor all day yesterday, but it was worth it to go rip it up with this thing today. Now we just need some more snow. A week of drizzle and above freezing weather is taking a toll on our snow.

Back