• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.6" Ice Cobra on 2011-2015 Apex?

Well after 3 days riding in the Bighorns, this mountain newbie got to see what the trail tank can do with some lug under it. We climbed up some crazy crap! Amazing what an Apex can do with this track. It was able to do much more than my brain would allow. The combination of altitude and fear kept me from really pushing this thing.

This will be my favorite track for sure if it holds up like the others. Durability review will have to come after a few thousand miles.

Attachments

• 16425826_10208393983708557_6467088899079870051_n.jpg
    16425826_10208393983708557_6467088899079870051_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 146

As posted in my "better than staring at grass thread" here is the video I put up on my YouTube channel of the track swap. It also summarizes the thread above too.

2016/2017 Season Apex Track Swap

So it's January 21st, and I have had an internal struggle over studding my track with over 4500 miles on it, or going with a longer lug track. Weight aside, the Apex XTX with it's 144" tipped rail skid is such a nice crossover sled, it just needed the track to make it all work.

After quite a bit of research, I figured I could go with the Camoplast / Camso 1.6" Ice Cobra pre-studded track. With the help of friends on Totally Yamaha, we have decided that I can pull the Stud Protection in the tunnel and run this tall of a lug safely. Although nobody has done that large of a studded track, I figured I would take one for the team and try it.

Many had used this length and longer without studs, so pulling the heat exchanger protectors up front and the tunnel protectors in back showed little risk. But the Ice Cobra has plenty of dental-pick-sharp studs in it.

I also decided this was my time to get a bit more intimate with my Apex and do this myself. After printing out the appropriate pages from my Service Manual and a collection of directions from Totally Yamaha, I was set.

Biggest tips from this experience, get some small parts trays for each section of the tear down. And use an electric impact wrench! OMG, this pushed me over the edge and I purchased my Dewalt 1/2" Impact the very next week.

So with over a 1000 miles on the new Ice Cobra, it is safe to say this track rules the earth! Amazing hook up in soft snow, ice and packed trails. Over 300 miles in Wyoming in varying conditions. It allowed the trail tank to plow snow like it was an Orange snow plow from the state of Minnesota!!

Good luck all.

(PS: Don't forget the beer breaks)

Now that I have a good microphone for my camera, I may be able to actually put some light on one of these projects and do something educational, if not entertaining. Until then, it's just me wrenches and beer.
I'm looking to put the 1.6 ice cobra on my 2012 apex just wondering how it has been since you have done this 2 seasons ago and how many miles you have on it?

I'm looking to put the 1.6 ice cobra on my 2012 apex just wondering how it has been since you have done this 2 seasons ago and how many miles you have on it?

I haven't regretted it for one second. I probably have about 4,000 miles on the track and it looks like the day I bought it

I haven't regretted it for one second. I probably have about 4,000 miles on the track and it looks like the day I bought it
I think I am going to try it I have the 1.25 ripsaw on it now with 1.325 studs and they damaged the exhaust

If you damaged your exhaust, it may not have been from length, but rather ballooning of the track at speed. (At least that is what I have been told). You may need to run it tighter.

As asked, I have around 3500 miles on this track now. The paddles look really good. The embedded studs are dulling, but still better than no stud at all. I would say a few of them have folded over in the track, but I have not seen any missing.

I have added scratchers for those low snow days, but have not regretted this mod one bit. It was worth every penny if you get the chance to do it. I truly don’t fear the deep ditches and hills. It hooks up and just plain rips. Blips of the throttle on both hard pack, and deep snow push this sled along so much better than the stock Ripsaw.

Good luck!

Back