• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1 week trip with blue/white/blue primary spring

budman 1000

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2023 Yamaha LTX GT, 2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137; 2015 Apex xtx, 2010 Nytro xtx turbo, 2008 nytro rtx, 2005 RS Vector MTN turbo
hey there guys I said I would post how the blue white blue primary spring worked as my stock spring showed some bad wear on side of the coils.
We had 1500 mile trip planned for 10 days but had to change route and days for lack of snow, turned into 7 days of not great snow and not many miles ( Saskatchewan). We did manage to do 650 miles during the week.
Initial setup with blu/wht/blu spring (no shims or spacers).
I had secondary set at 70 or 6 and 1
Clutch engaged at 2600 rpm.
Top engine rpm was 9050 rpm.
Top rpm would settle at 8800 rpm.

Day 2
Changed secondary to 60 or 3 and 3 setting.
Top rpm was now 8850
Top rpm would settle at 8600.
I left it set up like this for rest of the trip

My feelings is this spring is very comparable to the stock spring as far as spring force rates. It's a tad softer on engagement ( only 100 rpm) but I couldn't say I lost any performance at the bottom end of rpm. What I really noticed was consistent rpm at any throttle position verses the stock spring. My sled with the stock spring would hit 8800 one time then next time 8600 then next time 8900 and sometimes 8500 or lower, very inconsistent. This blu white blu spring is consistent every time from any throttle position. Another thing I noticed is my clutch makes very little noise now with this spring compared to stock spring. For the time being I feel I'm going to stay with this spring until Yamaha has it sorted out.

So I hope this info is of use for anyone looking for a quick Yamaha primary spring replacement

Sorry guys I didn't list my model,
I have a 137 xtx Le which has the 1.75 backcountry track.

Whats the 6 and 1, 3 and 3 settings and how do those work?

Blue/wh/Blue is a 45/111kg --- 95.9mm long

Stock is a 55/105kg ---110.1 mm long

always good to post numbers IMO.

Shorter springs sure seem to work better in these primarys.

Yamaha spring?

That's correct it's Yamaha spring and thanks Dan for posting spring rate numbers

This was my next spring to try(never needed to try it out as the yellow/green/yellow was great).. I figured it would be better then stocker.. And good to here you had good luck with it

hard to say but you might be able to go up 1 to 3 degrees on the helix,,it is shifting too fast..that is why it drops back..it should hold the rpm..

hard to say but you might be able to go up 1 to 3 degrees on the helix,,it is shifting too fast..that is why it drops back..it should hold the rpm..
That's what I've been thinking is trying a 37 or 38 degree helix

Reactions: RJH
Keep us in the loop..certainly my STX 146 43 degree was poor..for tomorrow I have a stronger primary spring and down to 50 from 55...may end up on the high 40's...Viper not SW.

Mine broke! Came home to base camp from trip, looked it over & BAM!!! Like a slap in the face. SNAPPED! Good thing snow is bad & going home. Glad I kept my 18,000 mile Apex!!!!

Back