• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1200 Doo Turbo

crippledncrazy said:
Geez after reading all of these posts Im feeling like I shoulda stayed on ski doo, got rid of the rt1000 and hoped on the 1200. ;):D . I really hope im not out on the lake this year and go up against a 1200 with close to my set up and get walked on, almost feeling sick to my stomach. Only time will tell I guess. Either way I am going to have my xtx for at least a couple years. :Rockon:

This isn't the topic of which is faster, or better. More our less which is better suited for boost, and which can handle or produce what. As far as comparing. It is more ride preference. Rider forward for big bumps, a lot of rider movement, and fast off the line, you want the Nytro. Smooth trails, and speed past a drag, well I hate to say Doo. We/I am just wondering if such a light sled can handle boost over a paticular amount? It might be able to put it out; bought with what reliability. The 1200 was, and is designed to CROSS both Vector, and Nytro territory for a reason. I am more intersted to see how it handles with boost on the trail, or mountains. Real world boost, with the every day beating from mother nature, and the rider. Now It should be more then able in a boosted drag to keep up, or possibly win, but do they put it against the Apex, or the Nytro. How do they determine, besides politics?
In my earlier post, saying Yamaha should come out with something major I meant something lighter we can build on. I believe that people are missing the fact that these companies, can only produce a sled so fast without causing legal issues. When it comes to accidents. I am sure that they could come out with a 300HP something, but with what effects? But to make a sturdy light, trail sled, that the owner can add something to it with a base 180HP or so would be the ideal world. I don't know how true this is, or if this will come true for a while. My dealer near me told me yesterday that they are getting a limited supply of sleds from Yamaha, and so are other dealers. Other dealers have called him, even while I was there asking if they could purchase RTX, and XTX Nytro models off them to add to their inventory. They said no to the other dealer since they don't see more available to them as of right now. So the economy is probably hitting everyone, even Yamaha. With this economy there is only two ways to go as a company. Wait and see(ride it out), or go for the glory, and see if the economy hurts you more. Until things change I am keeping my Yamaha for a couple years. Waiting, and hoping myself for the next BIG Yami ;)! I Hope
Now back to the 1200 :tg:

Turk said:
Cripples...there are a gazillion yammie turbos running out there with very few issues.
the 1st doo turbo,s were not so lucky.
The 2nd generation have not even hit the snow yet.
Maybe this video clip will make u feel better.
rx-1 at 14 pounds boost racing a 1200 doo turbo at 18 pounds boost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etyUP1rqL4
the race starts about 2 minutes into the video.
The doo turbo never won a race.
It was an mc xpress kit.

Turk,

How quickly you forget about the early RX-1's blowing severe oil from the breathers. Even the newest Apex's. Leaks in the venting etc. all installer and operator errors. Of course they more reliable now, the operator had to learn after blowing the stuff up two or three times. I had a buddy that blew up his turbo RX-1 twice. Once in 1.5 miles after the install. He rebuilt the motor and went another 4 miles and blew it again. Well he found out the hard way he had the boost switch on high boost, (10lbs.) and not on low boost (7.5 lbs.). Now that is an operator error, it cost him dearly not having a boost gauge on and not knowing the switch was in the wrong position. Same thing the Ski-Doo guys are now learning the hard way.

There is always a learning curve involved, certainly you know this. The Ski-Doo guys have much to learn about octane levels and not getting greedy. Most that blew were running without boost and 02 gauges. This is not the fault of the machines, but that of the installer and operator. The machine will do just fine, just like the Yamahas as long as its in the tuning window. They need to learn the hard way too, after all this is their first go at pressure charging a four-stroke.

As for the video, looks like a bunch of trail riders getting together for a good old drag race, in the snow, driving them to the start line even! I could find just as many vids of a turbo Doo beating a Yamaha I'm sure, but I could really care less who's beating who. The majority of these guys are just learning at the backyard races. And that is where they should start their learning.

Relax, it's all good, you enjoy your Yamaha, and hopefully I'll enjoy my new Turbo Ski-Doo 1200, while also riding and still loving my Yamaha Attak.

Peace and love fellow boost brothers :)

Turk said:
Cripples...there are a gazillion yammie turbos running out there with very few issues.
the 1st doo turbo,s were not so lucky.
The 2nd generation have not even hit the snow yet.
Maybe this video clip will make u feel better.
rx-1 at 14 pounds boost racing a 1200 doo turbo at 18 pounds boost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etyUP1rqL4
the race starts about 2 minutes into the video.
The doo turbo never won a race.
It was an mc xpress kit.
Turk,
Perfect example of how key a driver, or setup / tuning, can be too.
The poor performing boosted Doo might not be due to a bad design, etc.
You could have 500HP, not be tune savy enough, and still get beat by a stocker...
Goes back to a lesson I've learned from Ted Jannetty about clutching.
I won't lie to you, after riding FPP's stage2 Renegade last year in Old Forge I have small concerns about how my Apex will stand up in local pick-up races on the lakes and fields this year. Use to be the only thing that gave it a run for it's money was another boosted Yammi, but anxious to find out!

Now back to the real question what mod's are needed for it to handle the added power. I noticed on Supreme Tools site. That they have a Driven support brace setup for the 1200 4-tec for $545.00, which they recommend for boosted, and high HP setups. They also have a set of drag racing blocks for the 09 to keep the rear from collapsing. Unless I am reading something wrong?
http://supremetoolinc.com/cart/skidoo-4 ... -p-99.html

Are there any other similar upgrades that will be needed to make the 1200 rigid enough to handle the boost, or are these not needed til you reach X amount of boost? I see a few cool videos out there with turbo's on these. Just wondering if there where structual mods needed?

sheetwright said:
Now back to the real question what mod's are needed for it to handle the added power. I noticed on Supreme Tools site. That they have a Driven support brace setup for the 1200 4-tec for $545.00, which they recommend for boosted, and high HP setups. They also have a set of drag racing blocks for the 09 to keep the rear from collapsing. Unless I am reading something wrong?
http://supremetoolinc.com/cart/skidoo-4 ... -p-99.html

Are there any other similar upgrades that will be needed to make the 1200 rigid enough to handle the boost, or are these not needed till you reach X amount of boost? I see a few cool videos out there with turbo's on these. Just wondering if there where structural mods needed?

There is all types of stuff out there for bracing like the STM, is it needed? Let's just say there are turbo 1200's out there not using any additional bracing or gusseting that have over 2000 miles on the their belts and have been run hard. I've heard a few guys over 4000 miles, much like a Yamaha.

Will it help to keep the engine inline? Sounds like it, however Billy Howard added the mount to the 1200 and it held the motor better but didn't pickup any more power on the track dyno. More testing may be in order to know if it helps at higher HP.

I know I won't spend $500+ when you could fab up a rubber snubber or hook/turnbuckle to the thing for less than $20 using hardware store trinkets.

The stock 09 suspension works well too for boost, It is not wheelie happy like the 08's were. I will pull the skis off the ground at 80 with the turbo if you want it too. It can be dialed out if it doesn't suit your riding style without aftermarket stuff.

All you MUST HAVE for a boosted 1200 is the turbo kit and a different drive clutch other than a TRA. It would be recommended to have a boost gauge, (which I believe they all come with) and a wideband, (some kits have and some don't). The 1200 already has the 2.86" pitch extroverts too. Some guys add the Avid driveshaft tube that gets welded into the stock shaft due to the troubles they had in 08 also, but I haven't heard of any shaft failures in 09.

All I'm planning on doing is the wideband, boost gauge, higher chaincase gearing and an Iceripper XT track.

Turk said:
I think there is a lot more riders going doo to yamaha. This 1200 is to stop the bleeding.
The safest job in the world is working for BRP warranty division!
One of my good buds owns the local brp dealership & he sells a lot of sleds. His shop is full of warranty work all winter long with 4-5 techs going all day long.
what shop is that with 5 tech all day long ? not the one in brandon i know for sure. who is your bud with the shop?

My cousin is the local Doo dealer. He had no luck with the XP1200, he had two of them. First one lost the motor due to a design flow in the cylinderhead, the engine was toast inside. The second burnt to the ground with as little as a few miles on it. Could all be back luck of course. THose I've talked to are very happy with the XP1200 tho :)

Back