• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

137 Sidewinder SE owners. Suspension set up?

jonlafon1

Lifetime Member
Mount Morris, WI. Chaney Lake, Upper MI eh!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder LTX_SE

2024 Catalyst RXC

2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE. 11750 miles (SOLD)
Just looking to hear from other SE guys on what you have for suspension set up. Front? Back ? Studded? Weight fully dressed for riding?
I had to turn my front shocks forever from stock. (Like 2 inches of thread). Yea that's crazy. Way to much ski pressure. Moved front suspension shock about 7 turns also in a effort to make it possible to turn bars.
Lowest setting for springs in back I find best. But it sinks 4 inches when sitting on sled. In the second position it's to stiff and to much ski pressure again.
I weigh 220 geared and riding. Anyone else having issues. Also I have 192 studs with Straight line tracker skis with 7.5 shapers. This is not a super aggressive ski and carbid set up IMO.

Last edited:

Well for what it's worth be thankful you didn't get the DX. I have the zr9000 lxr and my rear skid bottomed out harsh on everything bigger than an ant hill, I currently have my shocks out to hygear for a new dual spring and valve change.

I have an SE and find the front shock on the skid is to soft all throw I'm 3 bills but have the shock 1 inch threaded up from the top . Like you said rear shock soft on 1 setting and the second little stiff. I may just see about getting and LE front skid shock as my 2016 viper was good or just have it revalve .

I have an SE and find the front shock on the skid is to soft all throw I'm 3 bills but have the shock 1 inch threaded up from the top . Like you said rear shock soft on 1 setting and the second little stiff. I may just see about getting and LE front skid shock as my 2016 viper was good or just have it revalve .
Interesting. If you get a chance take a picture of your front shock. What ski and studs??
Thank you for the feedback

I'm running with Curve skis with 6 inch carbide and 192 studs down the middle
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG

This is kinda why I didn't do anything just yet. I need to field verify on base sled.
If I got it to where I was happy. And started loading up with big carbide or lots of picks. I would know that it's the parts not the sled.
7.5's on front is going to take more effort than the 4". Is there enough adjustment in factory shocks to compensate? I'm not sure. Guess that would depend on your weight and abilities......

It's just so damn nose heavy and the ski pressure is outrageous. Still working on mine. Getting close. But it was way off stock. Especially front shocks. I now have about 1.5 inches of thread on the top of the springs. I started with at least 3! It's almost to the point of not being able to loosen anymore and still keep upper A arms level to the ground while sitting on sled

Can't let mine out any more....I went to the Se because I thought the Le shocks where little stiff may just go back to them.

I find that the back suspension shock is way to stiff. And the front suspension shock/spring is mush. I think the front shocks are doable. But it's hard to balance this sled- when they seem so opposites of each other

I find that the back suspension shock is way to stiff. And the front suspension shock/spring is mush. I think the front shocks are doable. But it's hard to balance this sled- when they seem so opposites of each other

Jonlafon, I too have an RTX Se and I'll add my 2 cents here also if I may:

One of my issues has been with the tuner 3 skis pushing in turns. I have added ski pressure by tightening front limiter strap on hole 3 from lowest, I loosened front shock/rear skid to add ski pressure in an effort to get the skis to bite and then removed the transfer blocks to gain back some traction and lighten the front end. In the end...I can't get the tuners to work, therefore I ordered a set of curve skis and will be putting tuners in the trash!! Curve skis should be in tomorrow and once on, I'll start suspension settings from scratch and let you know how I make out.

I too find the rear shock too stiff as I weigh 170lbs. It does fine in the rough stuff pounding it through the moguls, but groomed trails, too stiff. Thought about sending rear shock out for revalve, but down time could be a couple weeks and I can't have that!!

I read the post above by Geez177 and it got me thinking......I bet putting his cat LXR rear shock in my skid would soften up the ride perfectly. Thinking the Viper RTX DX and the Cat zr9000 LXR use the same rear shock, I went on HLSM.com and found a shock from a 2017 Viper RTX DX for $85 (Part # 8JP-G7480-20-00) I also checked on a shock for a 2016 zr9000 LXR (part # 2704-681) and it listed for $92. I'm thinking viper shock may soften up ride and at $85 might be as cheap as a re-valve and still have factory shock should I ever decide to snocross!!!

Called dealer and could have shock here for the 17th of Jan.......haven't pulled the trigger yet...still contemplating. What are your thoughts?

My front shocks, I loosened springs until a-arms were flat then I turned compression dials counter clockwise all the way out and then went back in 9 clicks and so far I think its OK, but may have to re-adjust with the new curves.

Back