• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

16-17 Rear Shock Info

Did you happen to try the updated shock before going with Elka to compare the two
I did not I ordered the shock and installed it before I knew about the updated shock. Either way it sounds like I would've had to purchase the shock anyway so I paid a little more for what I think is probably a better product in the end bottom line is I'm very happy with it

I did not I ordered the shock and installed it before I knew about the updated shock. Either way it sounds like I would've had to purchase the shock anyway so I paid a little more for what I think is probably a better product in the end bottom line is I'm very happy with it
I may even do the front shock now

I would say the elka has to be better. The upgraded shock is worlds better for ride at lower speeds. the old shock was only good if you wanted to drive like and idiot 75 mph over rough trails. The area I believe the elka would be better is in the high speed comp damping, this shock seems to hit bottom fast on those square bumps, no matter what comp setting or recommended air pressure. This only really happens a few times a ride.
On the contrary the original 16 shock was not good at high-speed's on rough trails .....have you tried one it will knock your back teeth out !

On the contrary the original 16 shock was not good at high-speed's on rough trails .....have you tried one it will knock your back teeth out !
I ran the stock shock at around 210- 220 psi i'm 290 dressed I did not find it to bad in the slow bumpy trails but you just didn't know when it was going to give you that sharp spine compressing kick back, it wouldn't do it all the time but that was the problem you could not relax of fear of that kickback, I realize most suspensions will bottom out but you usually see it coming and lift your butt abit not like this stock shock set up in the 16 xtx the big bump you would think it would bottom out it does fine alittle bump alittle farther down the trail that you would not even consider is the one that would compress your spine with the kick back, I hope the updated shock is better.

I ran the stock shock at around 210- 220 psi i'm 290 dressed I did not find it to bad in the slow bumpy trails but you just didn't know when it was going to give you that sharp spine compressing kick back, it wouldn't do it all the time but that was the problem you could not relax of fear of that kickback, I realize most suspensions will bottom out but you usually see it coming and lift your butt abit not like this stock shock set up in the 16 xtx the big bump you would think it would bottom out it does fine alittle bump alittle farther down the trail that you would not even consider is the one that would compress your spine with the kick back, I hope the updated shock is better.
I will tell you I am about 190 and I had a couple of people that were around your weight and they actually liked it I think that shock is more suited for a heavier person I used to load my saddlebags up just to get a little better ride if I was going long distance

What you described is exactly the way I used to feel that's funny

What you described is exactly the way I used to feel that's funny
Also I found the stock shock would lose air, first I thought it was where I was heavier and the rough trails around here was causing some air loss not a lot 20psi seemed to be the norm but the shock would lose air just sitting for a couple of days not being used again around 20psi, I was getting worried that it would blow out on me on the trail sooner or later, if the upgraded shock does not work out I will turn to Elka to solve the problem, riding season was very short lived here this year 2 week window of good riding conditions in this area which is very strange compared to the 7-8 week normal riding season, very warm temperature swing this winter, looking like next year for testing upgraded shock. thanks

I found with 220 or 230 air in the original shock and I am 200 to 210, at 40 mph I was bucked off the seat continuously on a stretch of trail and go back down it at 75 and yes I would feel the bumps but it wouldn't buck me up the harshness is much less. I would not be able to go these speeds with the stock front shocks. They are very soft and bouncy the exact opposite to the rear. I bought a set of used elka stage 2 and I did'nt know who or what they were set up for. They are a stiff and match the original shock well. If I was to cross country race the sled, this is what it would be shocked for, I'm not into that.
The 2016 apex has a totally wrong shock package. The front is too soft, softer than the gytr adjustable shocks set on full soft. The rear, well we know it's wrong for trail driving. If anyone has ever ridden an rr arctic compared to a trail version, the rr is poor at low speeds and is meant to beat and bang over bumps at high speeds.
I'm going to soften the front elka's off season and maybe get a stage 4 for the rear.

I found with 220 or 230 air in the original shock and I am 200 to 210, at 40 mph I was bucked off the seat continuously on a stretch of trail and go back down it at 75 and yes I would feel the bumps but it wouldn't buck me up the harshness is much less. I would not be able to go these speeds with the stock front shocks. They are very soft and bouncy the exact opposite to the rear. I bought a set of used elka stage 2 and I did'nt know who or what they were set up for. They are a stiff and match the original shock well. If I was to cross country race the sled, this is what it would be shocked for, I'm not into that.
The 2016 apex has a totally wrong shock package. The front is too soft, softer than the gytr adjustable shocks set on full soft. The rear, well we know it's wrong for trail driving. If anyone has ever ridden an rr arctic compared to a trail version, the rr is poor at low speeds and is meant to beat and bang over bumps at high speeds.
I'm going to soften the front elka's off season and maybe get a stage 4 for the rear.
So your saying the upgraded shock is better than stock but still not giving the ride it should in high and low speed trail riding, its bottoming out alot no matter the pressure settings on the upgraded shock is this correct?, i'm running around 85-90 psi in the front shocks and I don't find them to bad at that setting.

So your saying the upgraded shock is better than stock but still not giving the ride it should in high and low speed trail riding, its bottoming out alot no matter the pressure settings on the upgraded shock is this correct?, i'm running around 85-90 psi in the front shocks and I don't find them to bad at that setting.
WHAT i am saying the upgraded shock is worlds better, it rides very close to a mono skid like I had with a revalved shock for my 07. In both cases they would bottom out on the larger bumps. I just think the fox could be valved a bit stiffer in the high speed compression damping. The elka stage 5 has high speed and low speed compression adjustments. Oh yeah i forgot about the le and fox fronts, my sled has the spring cheap ones on it.

WHAT i am saying the upgraded shock is worlds better, it rides very close to a mono skid like I had with a revalved shock for my 07. In both cases they would bottom out on the larger bumps. I just think the fox could be valved a bit stiffer in the high speed compression damping. The elka stage 5 has high speed and low speed compression adjustments. Oh yeah i forgot about the le and fox fronts, my sled has the spring cheap ones on it.
Ok sorry about that, I was just making sure I understood, that sounds really good for the upgraded shock, I hope it holds up, I read some where that the update shock has upgraded seals compared to stock shock which is good, looking forward to trying this new shock. thanks

Not to change the subject, but how is the weight transfer on your 129"? What are you seeing for top end?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I haven't had enough snow yet to try my shock but I did find the instructions to be wrong on the compression settings. They say at 3 clicks from closed is the soft setting. At that setting the compression is slow to compress so how can that be the soft setting same is true for rebound. I can feel it just pushing down on the bumper. I am 270 not suited and I have the 290 PSI of air in the shock with 3" of sag at the bumper. The old shock had to much rebound damping and would pack on the bumps another words would not rebound fast enough for the next bump and would almost feel like the sled was bottoming and road like a wood truck. LOL

Not to change the subject, but how is the weight transfer on your 129"? What are you seeing for top end?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The transfer is better than my old 07 mono. It transfers very well without a lot of ski lift.
Top end I have had it showing 114 on a somewhat hard groomed trail. I had mine geared to 22/37. The 1.75 track apex is not geared to go much over 104 without overdrive., due to the 7 tooth drivers.

We've got about 250 miles on the new shock now. Installed on my wife's 2016 Apex XTX 1.25. With the original shock, she was constantly being bounced off of the seat and butt slapped on anything but smooth trails. She was very disappointed in the sled. With the new shock, PSI set to her riding weight, 160, and not yet messing around with the clickers, she is is highly pleased with the improvement. Said it is riding better than her 2009 LTX-GT with the electric Ohlin which she loved and rode for 10K miles. I now need to stiffen up the front shocks as we had softened them up with the collars as loose, soft as possible, now the front is too soft. If we can find some decent trails (snow) we will start fine tuning with the clickers. If things continue in this directest, this updated shock is a big improvement.

Back