• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

Sure would be great if someone could do a dyno test on a Viper before and after reflash. The we would have some idea what the advantages of the flash are. Would go a long ways to help decide if we get it done or not.
RPMS have always told the truth for me. Dyno would be nice though.Especially with no snow and if you dont have notes.

This is just the perfect storm for a PR nightmare if Yammy sticks to those guns.

I'm new to these recalls. Do the recalls usually demand you stop using the sled once the bulletin is out? If I bring a blown motor in because it's January by the time a dealer has room for me and I've been using it am I SOL? Woof. The wait is worth than the knowing.

This is just the perfect storm for a PR nightmare if Yammy sticks to those guns.

I'm new to these recalls. Do the recalls usually demand you stop using the sled once the bulletin is out? If I bring a blown motor in because it's January by the time a dealer has room for me and I've been using it am I SOL? Woof. The wait is worth than the knowing.
I believe the turbo 16 guys were already told not to run them. That brings up another thing. Has anyone even recieved the actual recall letter yet? If it helps. Nobody has been denied warranty for this so far even with unauthorized turbos.

I believe the turbo 16 guys were already told not to run them. That brings up another thing. Has anyone even recieved the actual recall letter yet? If it helps. Nobody has been denied warranty for this so far even with unauthorized turbos.
As a turbo 16 guy I have not received anything and if it weren't for following TY I would know nothing. I have been NAGGING multiple dealers in the MKE area about getting it in and for 4 weeks I've been told "Just another week or so".

Where would this request come from? Even in googling I can't find a thing. All I have seen is the posts here.

UPDATE: I just got told we are 2-4 weeks away from repair kits from a local dealer.

Last edited:
As a turbo 16 guy I have not received anything and if it weren't for following TY I would know nothing. I have been NAGGING multiple dealers in the MKE area about getting it in and for 4 weeks I've been told "Just another week or so".

Where would this request come from? Even in googling I can't find a thing. All I have seen is the posts here.
The letter will come in the mail. They must still not have figured out WTH they are doing. Embarassing to say the least. Hope they make all you guys whole again.

The letter will come in the mail. They must still not have figured out WTH they are doing. Embarassing to say the least. Hope they make all you guys whole again.
I was at my dealers this morning to pick up previously ordered parts. They now have an inkling of how I feel! I have decided that from now on I will not purchase anything from Yamaha that I do not absolutely have to. I will go aftermarket if possible and avoid unnecessary purchases. I will reevaluate if they do something about this, otherwise my only avenue of action is to deny them and the dealer my dollars. Never thought I would feel this way.

Bought a leftover 2016 Viper LTX SE a couple weeks ago.. how would I be able to find out if I have the 1st 2nd or 3rd motor produced? It's my wife's sled so I have no intention of putting a turbo on it.

I imagine that they puckering pretty hard knowing that they have potential liability to some cat customers with this too. Someone screwed the pooch here.

Thanks..I just called the dealers service dept. and he informed me that as long a I don't turbo it there is no need to worry and the motor itself is bulletproof.
Sounds like exactly what some people with dealer turbo's were told 12 months ago! These 16's have not seen significant snow time with last winter being a let down. Lots of leftovers and not alot of miles.

To be clear, I wouldn't be worried about your NA sled going boom as the dealer will cover that under warranty. I would just be pissed about the potential impact to resale value which is a huge unknown. With no significant changes other than color I would opt toward the "stronger" rods in the old engines all else equal if I were a used market buyer.

I imagine that they puckering pretty hard knowing that they have potential liability to some cat customers with this too. Someone screwed the pooch here.
The way I understand it Yamaha will only replace rods in '16 Vipers with dealer installed MPI turbo, 180HP version only. Anything other than that is not covered. Also, I have never seen anything official telling turbo owners not to ride their sleds. They are under warranty.

The way I understand it Yamaha will only replace rods in '16 Vipers with dealer installed MPI turbo, 180HP version only. Anything other than that is not covered. Also, I have never seen anything official telling turbo owners not to ride their sleds. They are under warranty.
Actually, in the "intent to recall" notice that was posted in another thread, it says exactly that, owners should not ride their sleds.
The problem I have with riding it and depending on the warranty is this: I have a 3 year warranty, one year is gone due to a crappy winter (not yami's fault of course). They KNOW they have a problem, I want it fixed now because if i wait for it blow up, it could be a situation where I don't get the sled back for 3-4 weeks, essentially sh!t-canning half of my season and 2nd year of warranty. Yamaha needs to do what's right..now!

Actually, in the "intent to recall" notice that was posted in another thread, it says exactly that, owners should not ride their sleds.
The problem I have with riding it and depending on the warranty is this: I have a 3 year warranty, one year is gone due to a crappy winter (not yami's fault of course). They KNOW they have a problem, I want it fixed now because if i wait for it blow up, it could be a situation where I don't get the sled back for 3-4 weeks, essentially sh!t-canning half of my season and 2nd year of warranty. Yamaha needs to do what's right..now!
I guess i'm on the "take my chances" boat until I get a letter in my mailbox specifically saying my warranty won't cover failures.

The real funny thing here is this might all be a mountain out of a mole hill but since yamaha isn't talking we're left to speculate.

Can we get a deal on TY group therapy?

Good point, I guess I did not remember the "intent to recall" letter. Its just hard to imagine them telling someone with close to $15000 invested not to ride their sled while they decide how to proceed. They have known about this for approx 10 months and the solution is not yet in place.

Back