• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

I dont think that is what the case is at all. I think that they have a batch of poor or non heat treated rods that made it into production. They have decided that the rods are more than satisfactory for a normally asperated motor. They may even be okay in the turbo but they have had issues there so they are doing somthing about those motors. They are essentially blaming it on the MPI turbo over boosting the motor which should never happen due to the EABC. It seems like they found the perfect way to phrase it so they look like they are taking care of the customer while shifting blame to the turbo aspect.

To my knowledge there has not been a failure in this motor for any N/A ones. Its just the turbo's ones. And this needs to be stressed again: not all the 2016 motors have bad rods. Not even all the late 2016 motors have bad rods it has been discovered. Just some of them and I guess the problem for Yamaha is figuring out who got them. They have decided to just replace all the turbo rods just in case. We will never know but it would be interesting to know how many actually have the unheat treated rods.
I think what you are saying is the real story. But the letter says nothing about "bad" rods, it implies the design was not sufficient handle the turbo loads.

I think what you are saying is the real story. But the letter says nothing about "bad" rods, it implies the design was not sufficient handle the turbo loads.
Yup and this year if we get snow the story will change when na rods fail. Hope I am wrong but Yamahas letter goes against all logic I have and I was directly involved in manufacture of similar rods. Been there and done same thing.

My dealer here in Ontario was told that it is an 18 hour job, (which seems very rushed). But they are only getting paid 14 hours to do it. Not right for the dealers to take the additional costs in replacing these rods.

Has anyone in the US gotten any letters or directions on the rod recall? Our short snowmobile season is here and I am getting very impatient waiting for word. Do i ride my sled and risk blowing up the motor??? WHAT IS THE HOLDUP YAMAHA???

Has anyone in the US gotten any letters or directions on the rod recall? Our short snowmobile season is here and I am getting very impatient waiting for word. Do i ride my sled and risk blowing up the motor??? WHAT IS THE HOLDUP YAMAHA???

Nothing I've seen yet. In my mind that's why you have a warranty.

Until I'm told not to, I'm riding when the trails open. If it blows up, well, Maybe I'll get that whole new motor we were hoping for.

I have trips planned to Tug Hill. How do i get my money back when the motor blows the first day I am up there?? Or who refunds me for the whole missed season as I wait for Yamaha to get me a replacement motor. Our season is too short in NY to have to worry about this! This should of been handled in the off season.

I have trips planned to Tug Hill. How do i get my money back when the motor blows the first day I am up there?? Or who refunds me for the whole missed season as I wait for Yamaha to get me a replacement motor. Our season is too short in NY to have to worry about this! This should of been handled in the off season.

Yamaha's warranty will cover trip interruption. What the specifics are I don't know.

I agree! I'm not defending the timing. There is no way in hell to say this is anything but not ideal. But I refuse to live in fear of my engine going boom.

My thought is, it ran last year. It will run this year. I'd rather have a chance at needing a 3 week engine replacement than missing 3 weeks of season waiting to get a letter to wait 2 weeks to find a dealer with time to have my sled in the shop for a month getting the rods done.

[QUOTE="alexm2816, post: 1328711, member: 27942"

I I'd rather have a chance at needing a 3 week engine replacement than missing 3 weeks of season waiting to get a letter to wait 2 weeks to find a dealer with time to have my sled in the shop for a month getting the rods done.[/QUOTE]

I feel pretty much the same way... My trailer and sled is at my dealers waiting for the recall.. if we have rideable snow, I'm taking it and riding it...
At this point we have no idea if the US recall will involve specific serial numbers or not... But I will say Yamaha USA laid a HUGE egg with this one....

I've got the new gauges in, wrap is on, sled is READY.

I pick up my new trailer Sunday and I'll probably go find snow next weekend.

I've got the new gauges in, wrap is on, sled is READY.

I pick up my new trailer Sunday and I'll probably go find snow next weekend.
Don't wish for the letter, that's what tells you not to ride. I believe Yamaha is very busy trying to figure out who to blame for this fiasco.

Don't wish for the letter, that's what tells you not to ride. I believe Yamaha is very busy trying to figure out who to blame for this fiasco.
"Well you see dealer man, I was loading it into the trailer to bring it in when all of the sudden..."

We are close everyone. http://www.landolakes-wi.org/Webcam - LOLREC.cfm It's a site to see for these sore eyes.

If it makes anyone feel better, I have the 2016 Viper Na with 7000 miles on it with no motor problems. My sled was a late build with newer style motor.

Back