• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

It's a total 180 from what I've been getting from Yamaha, last Friday (1/6/17) they would not confirm that my sled was part of a recall, they would not confirm that a recall was going to happen. I was told it (the recall that might happen?) was being held up by "the government". 2 weeks earlier, I was told it was tied up in the legal department and they had no information. The only thing they told me was don't ride the sled.

So this phone call is good news

Last edited:

It's total 180 from what I've been getting from Yamaha, last Friday (1/6/17) they would not confirm that my sled was part of a recall, they would not confirm that a recall was going to happen. I was told it (the recall that might happen?) was being held up by "the government". 2 weeks earlier, I was told it was tied up in the legal department and they had no information. The only thing they told me was don't ride the sled.

So this phone call is good news

I'd disagree. Throwing a 2+ week hold on my riding season is hardly what I would call good news. There's one good time for recalls and it's May. LOL.

All the like I appreciate your sharing! I'm just grumpy. Sled is running like a TOP.

Ditto Alex's post, not good news. Middle of the riding season and now Yamaha pulls this crap.

And after the crappy reflash just done a few weeks ago...:(

I've called Yamaha 3-4 times, each time I mentioned how poorly this was timed. But, at this point, I'm happy it's finally getting done - right now we have very expensive sleds that are pretty much unsellable. Once this is finished, we should be in a better position.

Time for the 190 kit?

Do you have the dealer installed turbo?
I just spoke to a YCS Rep a bit ago complaining about my second rod failure and the third motor going in my sled in less than 2500 miles. They finally said the parts are on the way for the recall. Haven't heard back from my dealer yet. Just dragged it out of the woods and dropped it off at the dealer Sunday. Judging by the sounds coming from my motor last Saturday afternoon, it's gonna need more than just rods to fix it. Better send motor number 3.

Phew, i was thinking you were waiting to install and didn't want to burst anyone's bubble that this is likely only for dealer installed sleds.

Keep the info coming. I'm setting my mail to hold for 10 days tomorrow while I go ride this weekend and next.

Held mail = no recalls reaching my eyes = plausible deniability if things hit the fan. ;)! Then I have 2 weekends in a row I can't ride so hopefully someone can get it done then if I call ahead.

Got the word my sled is in the recall serial number range... so it sounds like they have a range to go on...
Dealer is tearing the sled apart this week with the kit to be arriving in a few days....

Mine is going in Monday morning for a rebuild. Mine has been running like a top. Almost a shame to take it apart. Oh well, that is what warranty is for.

Got the word my sled is in the recall serial number range... so it sounds like they have a range to go on...
Dealer is tearing the sled apart this week with the kit to be arriving in a few days....

Here's to hoping it gets done QUICKLY.

Still getting different stories from different dealers. One says he's aware, the other says nothing he's heard. Sigh.

Just got my recall notice. My dealer ordered the kit and its delivery date is 2/15!! WTF!!! I can't ride my sled for a month????? I have a trip bought and paid for to Old Forge 2/12. Who pays for this?? Yamaha has totally dropped the ball on this recall!! Told my dealer to prep one of the new Sidewinders for me for that week.. Don't think they are on board with that idea.

Back