• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Nytro ER brown coolant

bluenytro

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Nytro
Just bought a 2006 nytro last weekend.The sled runs great and is in good shape with only 4700 km. The one thing I did not check when I bought it was the coolant. Well tonight I finally got around to checking it and am worried with what I have found. The coolant level in the reservoir is low and its lite brown in colour. I am worried that it is a head gasket issue. The only other thing I can think of is that it hasn't been changed for a very long time, but everything is mostly aluminum on these sleds so would coolant turn brown from age? Any insight would be appreciated.

not necessarily. I ran a coolant enhancer (water wetter or similar). When it combined with the stock green coolant, the result was kind of an oily brown color.

With an unknown history, wouldn't hurt changing both the coolant and oil and see if it comes back.

x2 replace the coolant and see what happens.

Change the coolant and see.

Drain fully and put in new coolant, so you know it's the right stuff in there. Probably very old or mixed coolant colours in there. My coolant reservoir always has just a little in the very bottom. I fill it appropriately, and after a long ride, there is just a little in the bottom of the reservoir. I've come to realize, that is where the coolant level is happy, after the system blows excess out its vent tube. New sled to you, always a good idea to change the oil, so you know what's in there, 0W30 or 0W40. Any premium brand from Canadian Tire on sale will be good. Mobil or Castrol are my go to oils. New oil filter as well.

Last edited:
Just bought a 2006 nytro last weekend.The sled runs great and is in good shape with only 4700 km. The one thing I did not check when I bought it was the coolant. Well tonight I finally got around to checking it and am worried with what I have found. The coolant level in the reservoir is low and its lite brown in colour. I am worried that it is a head gasket issue. The only other thing I can think of is that it hasn't been changed for a very long time, but everything is mostly aluminum on these sleds so would coolant turn brown from age? Any insight would be appreciated.
What was the outcome. I just bought a 06 vector. I didn't notice the color either when I bought the sled today, I have the same light color that you had???

OldCoolant.JPG

Well, I had a similar scare with my 08 Apex as I found discolored coolant and suspected I had a head gasket issue even though I had never lost any coolant and/or had to add any. Long story short, I came to realize that it was a combination of the Apex still running the original coolant (ie. 18,000mi) along with me using different types of coolant as I did not pay attention to the type that was currently in it and just added the green stuff I had used for my 03 RX-1. Since doing a complete flush as well as using this coolant vacuum/leak tester and then refilling using the same type of coolant, the coolant has remained its color and the she still runs strong. The only downside is now I have a spare head gasket and thermostat as I was prepared to replace both when removing the head.

I use Prestone pre mix. 1 gallon was enough. Its a long life coolant. Should be good for years. I used some Redline water wetter. No idea if it works but its supposed to run cooler.

Back