• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer fx starter problem

Cold Concrete

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer MTX, 2005 RS Vector, 2007 RS Venture
Hi TY4 contributors. During my ride this past weekend the starter on my Phazer had a progressively more difficult time starting the motor. At each pit stop it labored a bit more and turned over slower until, finally, it would no longer turn the engine. At first I thought it was a battery connection or the battery, however, I checked all the battery connections and replaced the battery and nothing has changed. The fuel pump runs when the key is turned and the gauge assembly lights up just fine. It sounds like the starter in spinning but not engaging. Any thoughts on what's happening? I'm hoping that it's something simple and not the dreaded starter bolt problem.

Below is a link to a YouTube video and the sound coming from the starter.

Thanks in advance!!

Either the starter is just dying of old age or it is suffering from the original (and old) issue of the starter body bolts coming loose. You could have a peak at the starter from under and see if the bolts have come loose. If they did, you might be able to re-align the markings and re-torque the bolts with some red Loctite but no guarantee this will work.

Before that, check that the starter relay/solenoid is working correctly by shorting the two posts on the solenoid with pliers. Also check or even replace the battery. If it still cranks badly, then the starter is next.

This thread shows how to get the starter out and post #12 shows the bolts to be Loctited.
http://ty4stroke.com/threads/oil-change-front-frame-removal-and-starter-removal-pics.64045/

Back