• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Apex vs 2011 Apex with EXUP

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
I was told by a top mechanic in Fort Kent that the 2010 is the fastest of all the Apex models! He said in 2011 they went to a 16 valve head? But when I read my handbook it says it has a 20 valve head? Any feedback?

Take him off your well informed list of people Bob.

There were a lot of changes to the 2011 Apex engine but that was not one of them.

And, a 2010 Apex will not hold a candle to a 2011 in accelleration. Top speed is close to the same.

The guy up in Ft Kent drinks way to much. Nice people up there but definately not informed about alot of things when it comes to the Yamaha 4 strokes. Several years ago I was in there and overheard a customer with a problem and the mechanic wasn't giving any good advice. I jumped in and told him what to check and to checkout this site cause thats how I knew. So the mechanic wasn't to happy with me by the looks he was giving me. He either didn't know or he did and was gonna charge the guy a large amount when there was a easy fix.

The guy up in Ft Kent drinks way to much. Nice people up there but definately not informed about alot of things when it comes to the Yamaha 4 strokes. Several years ago I was in there and overheard a customer with a problem and the mechanic wasn't giving any good advice. I jumped in and told him what to check and to checkout this site cause thats how I knew. So the mechanic wasn't to happy with me by the looks he was giving me. He either didn't know or he did and was gonna charge the guy a large amount when there was a easy fix.
I know the whole staff at Rogers sportcenter in fort kent . Danny Landry is the head mechanic and he is one of four Yamaha gold certified mechanics in New England. Robbie Bonenfant is the original owners grandson and is younger but is headed for gold certification as well. If you corrected a tech like you said it would have been a young parts boy or a young kid just getting started. I'm sorry but Bob Bonenfant would not allow any drinking on his premises during work hours . I have known Bob and his family for over 20 years. I really have to call B. S. On your whole post dude

Last edited:
I know the whole staff at Rogers sportcenter in fort kent . Danny Landry is the head mechanic and he is one of four Yamaha gold certified mechanics in New England. Robbie Bonenfant is the original owners grandson and is younger but is headed for gold certification as well. If you corrected a tech like you said it would have been a young parts boy or a young kid just getting started. I'm sorry but Bob Bonenfant would not allow any drinking on his premises during work hours . I have known Bob and his family for over 20 years. I really have to call B. S. On your whole post dude
I would agree.

Well my buddy bought a 2011 and I have a 2007 which really isn't much different than a 2010. We will find out next week how it all goes down.

Btw, my 136 Attak with Clutching and RSII track did outrun my friends 2011 XTX, with also a slightly deeper Camoplast track. His has same clutching as mine. He did experience a slight over rev at 11,000 while mine is spot on at 10,800. His has real low miles around 1600 while mine is well broken in at 14,000 clicks. One thing too with mine, I had the primary clutch faces re-machined being I am the second owner. Original owner cruised at 55 mph so much he grooved the clutch faces. Seems like my belt bites harder now. I was expecting more from his 2011 to be honest, but I'll say it rides better and turns like butter with the power steering and Simmons Flexi skis.

I was out yesterday for my first ride on my stock 2006 Apex RTX with my two friends. One has a 2011 Apex XTX with the Star suspension. The other with his stock 2012 XTX. Both sleds were a little stronger out of the hole with the edge going to the Star suspension, it had better transfer. After the hole shot we were dead even. I was slightly pulling them in, but it was a slow gain. I know there is more to gain with clutching my Apex but the newer Apexs are strong down low. My Apex showed 123 on the dream meter and they showed 110 mph. It was not a real long pull.
My 2005 RX 1 with a Ted Jennety make over has beat both these sleds. My RX1 has a cat skid and leaves hard out of the hole and I am running a 1 inch hacksaw. The Star suspension may have evened the odds a little.

If your 2006 is all stock there is quite a bit to gain. I do feel the 136 Apex's (pre power steering) are the fastest though. Likely the better traction and gearing combo. My buddy had a clutched 2008 Ltx while my 2007 Attak was bone stock. His would leave mine real bad,like over 10 sled lengths, drag or roll ons. Next year I put on same clutching ( Dalton parts) and we are neck N neck. That's a huge gain.

Hard to believe they left that much on the table. Impressive

Hard to believe they left that much on the table. Impressive
I do believe the setup I use is better than most but it is all in the acceleration. Can't say it has better top end, it just gets there quicker.

Would you share your set up?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back