• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

If I build another sled after this one I may look into that, slick setup for sure. It's going to depend on how poor the handling is on mine. I'm anxious to ride it.

The ZX boots didn't have a large enough opening for the tie rods but Pro RMK boots actually fit pretty well. I should have both body panels clearanced for the tie rods with pictures by Sunday.

I was going to ask if this was you build when I bought the pro rmk shocks from you :)

I want to be able to run the 2.6 Polaris track with my 8-tooth drivers without having to cut the track down. So now begins the cooler mods.
photobucket.com/user/sledgarage/media/sled/9CA05F60-38CD-4E9E-8984-2E9794859DCD_zpsceihilos.jpg.html]
9CA05F60-38CD-4E9E-8984-2E9794859DCD_zpsceihilos.jpg
[/URL]

The big center piece which is really 3 pieces. weighs 1.98 lbs. I'll remake it as one piece from .080 aluminum.

The new Doo tracks are suppose to be really good and less weight. From what Ive been reading the 3.5 pitch is the key. But that means finding new drivers . But that could be a easy 10lbs. Im sure you thought of this already though.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to finish the sled without putting much money into it. My plan right now is to use my current 8-tooth 2.86 pitch drivers and run the 155x2.6 Polaris track which is 46 lbs. The Conquer 2.8 is only 44 lbs but then I'm changing drivers again. Plans can change though.

Do you know the weight of the Doo track?

I hear yea. From what Ive read there suppose to be a 13lbs savings over the stock 3 pitch doo track. I just dont know what the previous track weighs.

Got the motor in this morning and started grinding on the bulkhead sides to make room for the cooler and new block off plate. I thought the rear engine mounts would be the limiting factor for clearance but it's actually the starter. Even though the 2.6(which is 2.75" total thickness) would clear now, I'm going to notch the cooler for the starter. I'd like to get a minimum of 3" of clearance to the tightest spot, which after the starter is the jackshaft.

Apex motor has starter in front :) adds 6lbs though. I have toyed with ditching the front cooler altogether and doing a rear mount radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing motors to get track clearance haha. Might actually be less work than all the cooler mods.

I found a pretty good deal on a 155x2.6 so I bought it, should be here next week. I will be fully clipping it.

A few years go prior to the turbo, I had removed the t-stat and made my own coolant bottle so to speak. This time around I'll be adding a 3rd port back to the bottom of the front cooler, running the factory Nytro thermostat & housing, and installing a small coolant overflow bottle. It will add some weight but it's probably better for the engine and I want this sled to run spot on.

First go around.

3rd time was the charm.

Next place it hits is here.

Notching for the starter gave me my 3" of clearance but it's not over that easy. More to come.

Probably had the cooler in and out another 10 times trimming it but it's as far forward and up as it can possible go.

After the final trimming.

Oil filter clearance. I'll have to be sure and change the filter prior to installing the motor haha.

This side is tight.

I've got about 3-1/16" from the drivers to the tightest spot of the cooler. Pulling it back out tomorrow to start prepping it for welding.

I'll try and find it.

Found this over on SW But I still cant find what the stock tracks weigh UGH!!

"IMO a better option is the Conquerer. That track is 6lbs lighter than the G4 in the 165 length and 14lbs lighter than the T3 track."

Back