• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

Chopping the tunnel 5". Since I have future plans to build a tube chassis, I wanted to see how short of a tunnel I could get away with. I figure it's better to build it too short, then wonder if it could have been shorter. The 1/2" tube in the pic is clecod in place and is about even with the back of the wheels. There will be small tabs welded to it at an angle in case it covers me with snow and I need to attach a small flap. There will also be a small tube a few inches off that one for a grab handle.

Going to try and get the frame wrapped up and off to powdercoat by the end of next week.
B8F9BFA5-01C4-466E-BC45-E9684936444F_zpsit4tvtf6.jpg

AAFEF3AA-866F-4674-91F0-2674786A3033_zpsb71mzn9p.jpg

Jakelfin - thanks for posting that pic of the new Lynx "Boondocker DS". Looks like they're claiming the tunnel is much lighter, improves sidehilling and evacuates snow better. The rear attachment over the track appears to be specifically for reducing the amount of snow getting thrown up on the tunnel and rider, so that must be a problem with a shorter tunnel. Their website (http://www.brplynx.com/en/what-s-new-2018.html) shows a few interesting pics of the tunnel and the rear suspension. Guessing this will eventually make its way over to BRP's Doo models ... if the design/concept works. Time will tell, but I like where you're going with this Caleb. Maybe BRP should have you working for them.

Bought this yesterday for $1,500. 2011 w/ 1850 miles, supercharged, 2011 162 cat skid and 162 track. There's an issue with the super charger (doesn't build boost) and some of the sled was hacked together. My plan was to part it out immediately and keep the motor/clutches/electrical for a tube chassis build.

But I might just remove the super charger and replace the drivers (they are shot) and try and ride it a couple times this spring.

B21ABEE6-8332-4313-87CD-738C043E4F31_zpslatel8y6.jpg

I have heard that some SC units the internal gears strip out. When that happens if you don't unplug the gems it's runs like crap. Un do the belt, unplug the gems and see how it rides! $1500 what a steal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 3.5 hrs
F0E00323-3BA4-4E00-B91B-C8EA3B968188_zpsiodc6jjj.jpg

I'm going to try and ride next Sunday. I want to get a couple rides on it to make sure it runs good. Going to be a very quick and dirty build. I've already ditched the snowflap, tail light, head light & parking brake and whatever other crap isn't needed.

To do list
- finish removing the supercharger & install factory airbox
- install new oem drivers
- cut every other little guide knob off the track. The track is the 162 camo extreme for cats and the previous owner never cut the nubs off and it trashed the drivers
- go through rear suspension
- install the non reverse gears & chain from my nytro
- install factory clutching
- oil change
- remove radiator & install AC bottle

After not riding for a few years it could weigh 650 lbs and I wouldn't care.

I did forget how stupid heavy they are though. Even moving it around the garage is painful.

Since you going to be going completely new tube chassis. May I suggest you finally drop the Nytro chassis style. The Viper/SW/Proclimb chassis is sooooooo much better than the Nytro. The geometry is way better, in pretty much every way. Im 100% certain you'll be able to shoehorn your Nytro motor and turbo into it.

No need for chassis. Just get some measurements of driveshaft, skis, skid, engine and steering column places, figure something even better and just do it. These are not so far from each others than we like to think, inch more somewhere and inch from somewhere and whole sled feels totally different. Anyone who has driven any stock nytro and some skinz/barcode etc front equipped nytro, can understand what im saying.

I'm at gottage right now, no building for couple days, just relaxing...

4b35f9360750c53fdc687c0d4c6d8f2c.jpg

Training also with like 1000lbs sled, bearcat wt...[emoji12]

I don't think MPI could have made the supercharger anymore complicated. Removed everything but left the lower pulley to save time.

Last edited:

Back