• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Yamaha Vector LTX

blade072

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Vector LTX
What is the dry weight of the 2012 Yamaha Vector LTX?
Thanks for your reply.
Jim

Feels like 800 lbs but probably more like 575-580? I think a 121" Vector is 560? I think the weight for my 14 LTX is listed in my owners manual. I'll look and report back later.

Maxsled.com listed the wet weight of a 2008 Vector at 660 lbs, back when they had their "wet weight challenge". I don't think the new ones are much lighter. Subtract 50 lbs for fuel. Maybe another 15 for coolant and oil? They're heavy for sure.

if memory serves me correctly, a dry 2008 vector ltx weighs in at 570lbs. a 38L tank will run you close to 65lbs, plus oil and coolant, so 660 wet is a good number I would say.

My cousin's new sled weighs about 120lbs less than mine. He got it stuck and it felt just as heavy as mine when we were trying to heave it around. The Vectors hide their weight pretty good on the trail until you have to make a quick maneuver, such as avoiding a large rock that the groomer kicked up. Then you suddenly realize the machine is controlling you! I fixed some of that last year with Ohlins front shocks that have a 20 percent stiffer spring rate than stock. They ride much better, too!

I fixed some of that last year with Ohlins front shocks that have a 20 percent stiffer spring rate than stock. They ride much better, too!

I have got to try to get my hands on some heavier springs. That place in NY that went out of business was selling them. Just never bought them. :o|

I have got to try to get my hands on some heavier springs. That place in NY that went out of business was selling them. Just never bought them. :o|
I have a new pair of front stock springs that I took off my 2011 Apex XTX. I replaced them with vector springs as I wanted a softer ride.

I have a new pair of front stock springs that I took off my 2011 Apex XTX. I replaced them with vector springs as I wanted a softer ride.

If they fit, how much do you want for them?

BTW - if you want a softer ride, revalve the shocks. Yami shocks are valved stiff from the factory.

If they fit, how much do you want for them?

BTW - if you want a softer ride, revalve the shocks. Yami shocks are valved stiff from the factory.
The springs came off a 2011 Apex XTX. I rode it very little and wanted to go softer so I installed Vector front springs. The wire dia. is a little larger on the Apex spring than the Vector spring.
I sold my Apex with the Vector springs so I had them sitting around. I just bought a 2012 Vector LTX which has the smaller front springs. I think that the Vector LTX spring rates are set up perfect. I need to do more riding before we play with the shocks.
I also have a yellow Olins spring that came of a 2007 Atack GT.
$50.00 ea. for the Apex springs plus shipping.
$90.00 for the Olins rear spring.

Also softer ride is not only the shocks. We do a lot of shock work, so we try a lot of different things. Spring rate is very important and then you can adjust compression and rebound from there.
I always felt that the spring rate from the factory is too stiff for me. I am not a ditch banger so I like to set my sleds up soft.

The springs came off a 2011 Apex XTX. I rode it very little and wanted to go softer so I installed Vector front springs. The wire dia. is a little larger on the Apex spring than the Vector spring.
I sold my Apex with the Vector springs so I had them sitting around. I just bought a 2012 Vector LTX which has the smaller front springs. I think that the Vector LTX spring rates are set up perfect. I need to do more riding before we play with the shocks.
I also have a yellow Olins spring that came of a 2007 Atack GT.
$50.00 ea. for the Apex springs plus shipping.
$90.00 for the Olins rear spring.

Also softer ride is not only the shocks. We do a lot of shock work, so we try a lot of different things. Spring rate is very important and then you can adjust compression and rebound from there.
I always felt that the spring rate from the factory is too stiff for me. I am not a ditch banger so I like to set my sleds up soft.

Hmmmm. My thought with a stiffer spring to is lessen the degree that the front end wants to roll over in turns. My sled feels like it wants to roll over in any turn at any speed above a crawl. Tightening the ski springs doesn't do enough and it just puts more ground pressure on the skis which I don't want.

On my 05 Vector (yes a totally different chassis) I found the front springs to do a great job with the rolling and I added a heavier sway bar which really was a nice tweak. I then had my dealer go much softer on the front shocks (can't tell you anything other than the "valved 50% softer" he gave me). This sled freaking rails! It does have a genuine M10 which I have dialed in nicely.

I wish I could revalve and try stuff myself!!!!! I don't have the knowledge or equipment.

EDIT - I wish I could just sell the sled and buy something different. I'm chasing something that I don't think is attainable.

Hmmmm. My thought with a stiffer spring to is lessen the degree that the front end wants to roll over in turns. My sled feels like it wants to roll over in any turn at any speed above a crawl. Tightening the ski springs doesn't do enough and it just puts more ground pressure on the skis which I don't want.

On my 05 Vector (yes a totally different chassis) I found the front springs to do a great job with the rolling and I added a heavier sway bar which really was a nice tweak. I then had my dealer go much softer on the front shocks (can't tell you anything other than the "valved 50% softer" he gave me). This sled freaking rails! It does have a genuine M10 which I have dialed in nicely.

I wish I could revalve and try stuff myself!!!!! I don't have the knowledge or equipment.

EDIT - I wish I could just sell the sled and buy something different. I'm chasing something that I don't think is attainable.
The Ohlins front shocks that I purchased have a 20 percent greater spring rate than stock. I had no idea that they made 2 different shocks for our sleds. They made a GT version for groomed trails, and the RT version which I have, for rough trails. I was worried they would be super stiff, but that is not the case at all. The valving on the lowest of the 20 clicker positions is super soft, and the added spring rate keeps the sled level like a stiffer sway bar, but better. It rides like butter now but handles so much better.

Back