• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013-2014 TY Mileage Fun Contest "Trailhed1"

trailhed1

Expert
Hi all, just wanted to share a few rides from this season. I usually do not take many pics so for sure I have much less details then others here. Next year I will do a better job to document my season.

started off before X-mas with some local riding to break in the new XTX.

Attachments

• ty photos.jpg
    ty photos.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 372

Dec 19 first ride on new sled

left the house and headed out on the Trans Quebec 3
early conditions for sure but doable.

Attachments

• ty 1.jpg
    ty 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 372
  • ty 2.jpg
    ty 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 372
  • ty 3.jpg
    ty 3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 368
  • ty 4.jpg
    ty 4.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 363
  • ty 5.jpg
    ty 5.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 361
Saddle bag trip #1 way too cold

Unreal some of the best trails I've seen in a long time and its on Jan 2. Cold is an understatement and today was not for the Rookies out there. Wicked cold. Just finished up riding with Scorpionbowl for the past 6 days. Covered some ground for sure.

All trails are super, 10/10

Saturday Went from Relais Iceman to Kanawata via Lac Repos and the Kanawata Express.

Sunday from Kanawata down to St Michelle des Saints and out through the Parc to the Cafeteria and on to Coin Lavinge, then down thru St Come and stayed ay Vieux Moullin.

Monday from Vieux Moullin we looped back thru St Come then down south and to Rawdon. Then rode a bunch of trails near there and headed for St Gabriel de Brandon. (lot's of new territory for us explored here) stayed at Auberge resto-Pub St. Gab.

Tuesday we went south and headed west toward Joilette (love all the red sticks with Joilette stenciled on each one) went on around and again we were exploring rode a bunch of new stuff for us here and ended up in L'Assomption just outside montreal area. Wanted to press on west to try and see how far we could get that way west but time was running out. We turned and burned and ran the 3 to late lunch in Berthierville and then back east on 3 then 3/63 to St Etienne and back home for New Years with Mrs. iceman.

Wed. A little delayed start as planned but headed west on 3 and down thru Louiseville and then up thru 350 to Lac Blanc. Then on to St Damien and up 23 to Real Masse. (i have been by Real Masse maybe many many many times. Usually its too close for Lunch and too close to sleep) So we finally decided to stay there and very glad we did. Great stop and nice folks. Gotta love the Bonus of that heated sled shelter on a night like last night. Oh yeah baby. The Ladies were living large in the heated Garage.

Thurs headed out left 8:30 am temp -30c brrr wicked cold. 23 to Cabanon for gas. arrived at Cabanon. Saw lots of sleds all Parked in Corral. Guy comes out to pump the gas and says "you guys are brave",
We head for the 345 and go across to the 360 then turn left toward Repo's and take the M20 back to 360 and then to Mattawin. Stopped to warm up at Marineau there took some lunch then back on 360 then right and down to Auberge Mekinac and we run the river back to Shawinigan. Returned home at 2:30pm.

Fantastic Condtions and saw 6 sleds all day. 1 solo guy on 345 and right near Mattawin a Tour Group of 5 sleds(tearing it up at about 10 mph) when i die and go to hell that will be my punishment. To ride 3rd in line of an eternal tour group doing top speed of 15 mph.

Jan 5 "the meltdown"

as usual we suffer our normal setback to amazing trail conditions. Fortunately this season was off to an unbelievable start and the damage would be short lived.

freezing rain the heavy rain on Jan 5-6 saw the temperatures fall 30 degrees in 24 hrs and make a mess of things. then as usual with the temp drop after we were left with solid ice and no snow on the backside of the storm to make things all better. Had no choice but to wait it ou a week and let the groomers chew it up and make it OK to go again.

Attachments

• Ice 1.jpg
    Ice 1.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 415
  • ice 2.jpg
    ice 2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 393
Jan 12 Saddlebag trip 2

Left monday from the house headed up TQ3 after about 6-7 miles the effects of the rain were apparent and my sled was running hot. We realized quickly going to La Tuque and up 355 was not to be.

Returned to house, carefully negotiating all the Ice covered driveway and roadway there we loaded sleds.
Make a quick pit stop and had some Ice Scratchers put on by my Moto Thibault pit crew, then in 15 minutes after arriving we were off "like a prom dress" destination Roquemont in St Raymond.

Arrived to find total ice in parking like scary to walk on for fear of breaking your #*$&@ stuff. Saw two trucks from Maine guys had just arrived. Talked to one guy said they were headed north up 23 on Tues morning. We had lunch then headed up TQ23. First 15 miles were iffy at best but it quickly got better in Parc. Cruised into Le Etape from there to Apica good. After Apica snow dropped off again and trail was super hard. Rideable yes. Made it to Chicoutimi.

Yesterday left Hotel the took 368 to local to 83 to Local to 383 to cross Fjord on the Ice. All not bad. Nothing super but rideable. Crossed Fjord. A bit of water and very slushy but i was not going slow and taking in the sights, i was crossing "warp speed full ahead". North of Fjord is where its at. 93 to 328 to the Mont Valin. All real nice. There were some water holes and streams running flooding a few places.

Bras Louis had 4-5" new snow on it and was dreamy. Rode up Bras Louis and alittle toward Onitchaway all new snow. onitchway trail we were breaking trail. Decided to head back to Passion Quebec and here we sit.

Now everything that was soft and slushy is not this morning. Here will be fine with the new snow in the past few days. My wife said was rain monday night into Tuesday morning at home so theres no no way its better there now. With the cold back will be all Ice.

Forecast is for maybe a cm of snow in Shawingan today. Not enough. Now if all the flurries in the next coming days add up it will bring it back. A good snow is needed.

As for us well we just might have to stay up here until we feel good about being able to get back to the truck. It rained more in st raymond monday night into tuesday too.

Improvise and Overcome

Taking the Jack Daniels at Hotel Pel Chat. Escoumins.

Left Passion QC around 10am no hurry. TQ 93 to Sacre Couer and Coronet. One word "Dreamy" absolutely amazing run. Good snow real super. Near Coronet a bit Icy but loose enough with all the tour traffic.

Gas and go at Coronet. Down 93 to 3 east all rideable not great a little Icy. Not far from 3/93 junction has a nice new layer of snow all on it. Rode up to the Escoumins Relay. Then headed for the cut across to bypass Escoumins and headed up 3 toward Forrestville. Went about 30miles or so then up an Orange Local trail just to explore. i knew it was a Cul de sac but it was very nice and had new snow from a few days ago I guess. It was fun.

Turned back and ran back to 3 then back to Escoumins and Here we are. No other sledders in sight.

Met guys coming from Baie Comeau and from ferry Matane. Not good over on the south of river, but good from Baie Comeau.
They were headed back toward QC city on 3 I do not envy them. I wish them luck though nice bunch of guys.

For us its up the Pel Chat trail then back to Mont Valin and who knows. Probably stay at Passion QC for a day or two.

Lise and Vincent at Passion Quebec are top shelf and really go out of the way to help you no matter what you need.
Big thanks to them for the hospitality. I found a new buddy to ride my KLR with in the off season. Looking forward to Vincent showing me around the dirt roads on valin this summer

At Passion QC, Mont Valin

Today left Escoumins on a fresh groomed TQ 3 and headed west. Headed up the Pel Chat Trail and on to the TQ 93, also fresh groomed and super nice. Down to Valinouet and took the gas (did 130 miles with a tank of Gas on the Apex XTX and had some left). Next was on to Bras Louis and "oh my 5 stars baby super duper" Had to ride it back again. Then around and back to Valinouet.

Great trails up here but we all knew that already.

Like the movie groundhog day here. Still on mont Valin. Got a group of guys couple are beginners and taking them around for two days.

Today went Up a perfect groomed Bra Loius(can't get enough of a good thing) then looped back to 93 and back to Valinouet. Then yup up Bra Louis again (the guys love it too), and over to Onitchaway for lunch. Then back the way we came to Passion Quebec. All things Super here. Snow on and off all day perfect temps.

Tomorrow we go 93 to Coronet and Back. Then Snohorse and I will visit Vincent(Owner of Passion QC) to go with him to his chalet 25 min from here by sled.

Sunday maybe Pipmaquan.

Barely a few flurries at home according to Mrs. Iceman and just 32F. No way its as good as here for sure. It will get better, but no real snow is forecast yet.

93 day today to Coronet. Fresh snow varying from 3-5 inches most of the way from Valinouet to about 10 miles from Coronet. At near the end of the big 93 snow was old nothing new and it turns to ok but nothing great. Very hard and choppy to Coronet. Rideable no problem just not too good. Needs snow. . Good ride back to Chapelle then the Normal Old Forge type trail all the way to Valinouet. Way too much traffic and fresh snow. I knew it would be just that as I broke trail leaving this morning. Oh well. Time on Valin and with the awesome owners here at Passion QC is up. Busting out here tmmrw. Gotta be moving on.

Pipmaquan then Dolbeau for tmmrw.

Left Passion Quebec today and took Bras Louis to Trail for Onitchaway. Not as good as the past days with the saturday traffic taking its toll but OK. Quick stop to top off in Onitchaway.

Off for Pipmaquan. Ran up to check it out. And the trail was super wicked fast and fun. I had 101km from onitchaway to Pipmaquan.
Took no gas said a quick hello and turned and burned. Left Pip at 11:45 at Onitchaway at 1pm. Hair on fire fast.
Lunch at Onitchaway and gas then down the orange trail(do not know the number) but back to 328/93. Ran 93 all the way past Alma and to Dolbeau. Some nice but most hard frozen and bumpy. More bad then good. But you can ride it. Just not super.

289 miles Left Dolbeau auberge Dilligence. Took 93 up and thru Lac a Jim and over to local trail to restsurant du chef. Connected back to 93 then went up towards Sawmill on 93. Went halfway and turned around(trail is fine just needs some trimming back in alot of places we saw very narrow in places) back on 93 to La Dore. Then 93 to 373 to roberval then took the trail across the Lake(no sticks used GPS) then back to 83 and on 23 and am in Hebertville (presbytre). Not bad some real good some icy spots. Good day. 220 miles.

23 to St Ray tmmrw. Touchdown in St Raymond. 23 all the way. Hebertville to L'Etape was an 11 Fresh groom last night and fast.
L'Etape to St Raymond 10/10 what a difference a week makes. Wicked cold, actually found out those warming huts are very useful.

Awesome Run 1700 miles total.

Cold Cold Cold.
Trails Super.
Go Ride.

Time for a little rest and a service for my new Ride and we will be off again. Where? Who knows time will tell.

Feb 1-7 run to Cote Nord QC

Day 1
On the move again. Left my house this morning with Playhard and BillD, a nice surprise when we pulled out of the driveway to find Scorpionbowl and NHmoose heading to the house to say hi. We had a nice chat and shared a few laughs then we were off. They were headed back to the barn at Roquemont and we were heading east TQ3 destination St. Simeon.

Trails not bad at all pretty sweet. As expected got much busier and rougher near QC city. Big police check point near the Val Bel Air after the Airport area on TQ3 . Saw more sleds and Quads in the 270 miles run today then all of the Previous 4000 miles this Season. Crazy but what can you do it was Saturday and Quebec City Area nuff said.

After passing Relais Mt St Anne and the int for 304 the trail greatly improved. Smooth sailing to Baie St. Paul then on to gas before Clermont at the Polaris there. Then on we went real nice trail all the way thru Clermont area and up to the 83/3 split. Continued on TQ 3 and found it very very nice. Cruised into St. Simeon and are at Motel l'Horizon. 270 miles.

Baie Comeau Tomorrow

Attachments

• trip 3-2.jpg
    trip 3-2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 370
  • trip 3-1.jpg
    trip 3-1.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 366

Day 2
Saint Simeon to Baie Comeau
260 miles.
Awesome ride saw 8 sleds all day total.
Perfect trails with a little fresh on top.
30 miles to the ferry first thing all great then up an over the escoumins bypass and on to Forestville.
Club was checking passes and sled registrations near town amd we had a nice visit with the gang and they loved the Iceman stickers.
Traded for some club stickers and we were off, cruised into Baie Comeau. First time at Le Manoir nice place very happy.

Off to Sept Isles and Beyond Tomorrow

Attachments

• trip3-5.jpg
    trip3-5.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 384
  • trip 3-4.jpg
    trip 3-4.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 369
  • trip 3-3.jpg
    trip 3-3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 365

Day 3

WOW
Super day. The Twisty up and Down from Baie Comeau is just a fun way to warm up for the reward that follows in the form of superb trail all the way to Sept Isles. Surely some of the best trail in the Province and we had it at its best. Great run today from Baie Comeau to Sept Isles.

Just over 200 miles. (not sure exactly). But wicked awesome conditions and super fast trails.

Attachments

• trip 3-6.jpg
    trip 3-6.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 354
  • trip 3-7.jpg
    trip 3-7.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 381
  • trip 3-8.jpg
    trip 3-8.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 344
  • trip 3-9.jpg
    trip 3-9.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 372
  • trip 3-10.jpg
    trip 3-10.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 363
  • trip 3-11.jpg
    trip 3-11.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 371
  • trip 3-12.jpg
    trip 3-12.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 360
  • trip 3-13.jpg
    trip 3-13.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 364
  • trip 3-14.jpg
    trip 3-14.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 363
  • trip 3-15.jpg
    trip 3-15.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 359
  • trip 3-16.jpg
    trip 3-16.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 362
  • trip 3-17.jpg
    trip 3-17.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 369
  • trip 3-18.jpg
    trip 3-18.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 358

day 4
Ran from Sept Isles to Forestville today. 298 miles. Sweet conditions and i do believe the Godbout to Baie Comeau is more fun headed west. Trails were super and weather just fine. Not sure exactly where to for tomorrow maybe Baie St. Paul. Sled is Dialed in nicely and life is good. Great trails with good friends.

Attachments

• trip 3-20.jpg
    trip 3-20.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 345
  • trip 3-21.jpg
    trip 3-21.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 369
  • trip 3-22.jpg
    trip 3-22.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 367

day 5
Wed we rode from Forestville to Baie St. Paul with a bonus ride on the Isle de Courdes. Very cool. Trails were excellent the entire day the 377 up into Baie St. Paul was a bit roughed up right toward the end.
263 miles

Day 6
Thurs was down 3 to trail 300 which we found un marked and ungroomed but took it anyway to Isle d'Orleans after negotiating the ice crossing following the other tracks(no sticks) some little trees in some places. We were rewarded with and awesome loop around the island groomed to perfection. then back thru QC city on 3 then 302 to 351 back to 3 to the house.
267 miles.

1560 miles for the 6 day run.

Attachments

• trip 3 Ice bridge.jpg
    trip 3 Ice bridge.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 345
  • trip 3 ice bridge 2.jpg
    trip 3 ice bridge 2.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 334
  • trip 3 Isle d orleans sign.jpg
    trip 3 Isle d orleans sign.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 388
  • trip 3 trail along shore.jpg
    trip 3 trail along shore.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 397
  • trip 3 ice on ice.jpg
    trip 3 ice on ice.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 340
  • trip 3 isle de courdes sign.jpg
    trip 3 isle de courdes sign.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 387
  • trip 3 de courdes sign 3.jpg
    trip 3 de courdes sign 3.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 355
  • trip 3 isle de courdes sign 2.jpg
    trip 3 isle de courdes sign 2.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 374
  • trip 3 man overboard drill.jpg
    trip 3 man overboard drill.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 373
  • trip 3 on the ferry.jpg
    trip 3 on the ferry.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 342
  • trip 3 river ice.jpg
    trip 3 river ice.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 339
  • trip 3 ferry.jpg
    trip 3 ferry.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 359
  • trip 3 ferry access.jpg
    trip 3 ferry access.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 343
  • trip 3 waiting for the ferry.jpg
    trip 3 waiting for the ferry.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 371

last day ride from the house.
Bonus ride today
From the house over to St. Ubalde had a great pizza and returned home 120 miles. Looking good out there. Home just in time for the weekend rush to start. Perfect.

Boys are southbound. Thanks for a great week Playhard and BillD. Thanks for delivering my ride to Moto Thibault (spa for sleds) for her massage and checkup. She will be serviced and ready by monday afternoon.

Next week where to? Hmmm decisions, decisions?????

just over 1700 miles for the 7 days riding.

Back