• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 SR Viper FIRE

THKSNOW

Smooth Operator
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 RS Venture GT
Anyone seen this before? Fire in the silencer, this is CRAZY. Buddy rode Saturday in the U. P. 130 miles or so, got back to truck and saw the flames. Put it out with some snow. Headed to the dealer to see about
20170311_174406.png
20170311_174431.png
warranty repair.

Makes me wonder about the quality of the injectors, how do you get so much raw fuel in your exhaust. Would also explain the kickbacks, almost feels like hydrolocking the few times it has happened to me.

My xtx had a silencer fire from the f'in mice building a nest inside. Gotta put a silicone butt plug in the exhaust everytime and now I have mesh hooked to a fencer on the barn floor, killed over 40 of em since fall, a few squirrels and coons too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sled was completely stock and we'll maintained with about 5,000 miles. He has a 5-year warranty and Yamaha sure better go to bat on the repairs. He rode the sled the day before and no issues. It's going to Nelsons Speed Shop where he bought it this Saturday. I'll be really interested to find out the cause.

First off, glad that no one was hurt and that is all that happened. I'm interested to find out why as well. I wouldn't rule out mice though. I've parked my wife's sled in the yard and went in for lunch and when I went back the mice had a nest in there already. It was parked for maybe an hour and a half. When I started it they were running out the exhaust like it was there job. Sled smelled like crap for 20 minutes till all the crap blew out.

I seen one of these mufflers crack open, but I caught in time. It was making a horrible rattle when you let off the gas, drilled the rivets on the cover and you can see the results below.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.PNG
    IMG_1790.PNG
    494 KB · Views: 275
I have two friends - one viper, one 7000 that the exhaust burned out the bottom. Melted the oil lines. Didn't catch fire but still made a mess.
MS

My 2014 Deluxe did the same thing. Muffler was the issue, new muffler, panels and wiring harness repair. Should be under warranty. New muffler has new part no. compared to the old one.

If you search on here you can find a few issues with the 14 mufflers.
My 14 would backfire every once in a while. While doing a service i noticed a bulge in my muffler outer cover.
In the same exact spot shown in the pics above.
I searched and found some pics. They all seem to blow out in the exact same place.
I printed the pics and brought them along with the muffler to my dealer.
They told me you cant believe everything you read on the internet.
I said, drill out the rivets and remove the cover. Once thats done call me.
I got a call a week later that my new muffler was in and covered under warranty. Lol

Yup if not late 15 or newer watch that carefully. Should have been a recall but seems they just fix as they blow out.

Back