• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 SR Viper FIRE

This is what a 2014 muffler looks like inside...

Attachments

• Resized_20170215_120119.jpeg
    Resized_20170215_120119.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 246

Haven't been on the forums here in a while, but I found it ironic the first thread that came up was for the reason I came here. Just came back from a Quebec trip where my fathers sled just suffered this same issue. It didn't catch fire but definitely split the muffler and has melted the plastics. We were in the middle of nowhere when the exhaust noise was getting loud and his foot was getting warm. We had no choice but to keep riding. His is also a 2014 LTX deluxe. Not sure what Yamaha will do as the sled has a lot of km's on it. I wasn't surprised to see arctic cat stamped on the muffler.

3 weeks ago I took a buddy to the up and he rented a 15 xtx cause he was thinking about buying it at a local yami dealer and it had 2200 miles on it 2nd day noticed it was louder. Later that day it melted a 4" hole in the side plastic. We opened the panel to find a golf ball sized hole in the side of the muffler.

Follow-up: Dropped the sled off at Nelson's Speed Shop in Greenville, MI last Saturday. As we understand, they sent photos of the damage to Yamaha. Yamaha is sending a rep to the dealer to do an investigation as to the cause of the fire. Stay tuned...

It's been a month since we dropped it off at the dealer. Yamaha warranty rep looked at it. The sled owner got a phone call from an "investigator" who asked a ton of questions including how far did you ride & what were you wearing? And some really far out ones like-- did you have a face mask on? That was a couple weeks ago. I assume the investigator looked at the sled as well. Last week he called and said the investigation was done and they were sending everything to Yamaha; as of today no word from them. 4 plus weeks seems like a long time to make a determination for an obvious flaw in the exhaust silencer...

Sled owner got a call from Yamaha warranty rep today. They said Yamaha has authorized the dealer to make all the repairs under warranty. YAAAAA. He asked why it took so long and they said any time there is a fire there is a lengthy procedure they have to follow.

They would not offer any explanation to the cause of the fire. However, as previously noted in this thread, the part number for the silencer has been updated...

Sled owner got a call from Yamaha warranty rep today. They said Yamaha has authorized the dealer to make all the repairs under warranty. YAAAAA. He asked why it took so long and they said any time there is a fire there is a lengthy procedure they have to follow.

They would not offer any explanation to the cause of the fire. However, as previously noted in this thread, the part number for the silencer has been updated...

Glad it got covered as it should!!
As stated earler in this thread. It is a known failure point on the 14 models and has an updated part number.
Not sure why they are screwing around with these known fire issues and dont just issue a recall and update ALL the 14 models but i guess the new yamacat philosophy is profits before safety.

Back