• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 SR Viper chain case

billymx815

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SXV Venom, RTX Nytro, SR Viper RTX SE
Been a long time since I've visited the forum for some help from my Yamaha peeps because our Nytro & Apex family of sleds where dialed in and problem free. Recently got my hands on a 2015 SR Viper with under 5k miles on it for a fantastic deal. Included yearly service records from a reputable dealer as well. So here's question one. The oil tank is the version with the sight glass and when the machine is cold the oil is at half way. Isn't it suppose to be half way when warm?
Question two, for the love of god do I really need to split the case and remove for chain case oil change? That has got to an oversight on Yamaha & CAT if that's the case. If anyone can't point me in the right direction here I'd be most thankful. The sleds for my daughter and I like to do the fluid/filters myself and save the big stuff for the dealer. Keeps me entertained LOL
Billy

OIl level should be checked within 90 seconds after the machine is shut off and the oil is warm.

As for the chain case oil change, you could suck it out via the reverse shift actuator, loosen the bolts on the case cover/oil tank and drain it our the bottom, or just remove the cover / oil tank so you can get a good visual inspection of the internals. Things to watch out for: Top drive spocket bushing wear. I replaced mine at about 5k miles As it was getting loose. The tensioner roller is also known to have the bolts come loose and back out so many have tack welded the bolt to the tensioner arm.

OIl level should be checked within 90 seconds after the machine is shut off and the oil is warm.

As for the chain case oil change, you could suck it out via the reverse shift actuator, loosen the bolts on the case cover/oil tank and drain it our the bottom, or just remove the cover / oil tank so you can get a good visual inspection of the internals. Things to watch out for: Top drive spocket bushing wear. I replaced mine at about 5k miles As it was getting loose. The tensioner roller is also known to have the bolts come loose and back out so many have tack welded the bolt to the tensioner arm.
Thanks for the info. So with my mechanical pump I can suck out the gear oil to avoid the nonsense of removing the case, however if I want a clean look at everything it all comes off. That makes sense. Thank you again

Back