• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 YAMAHA SNOWMOBILES

My bet is a turbo version of the Nytro engine. They've already jerry rigged the ProCross Chassis to fit the 3 cylinder, why waste money trying to stuff the 4 banger in there?

Grimm said:
They've already jerry rigged the ProCross Chassis to fit the 3 cylinder, why waste money trying to stuff the 4 banger in there?
I've never been a huge fan of the NA 3 cylinder's torque, maybe turbo'd I'm sure it's a whole different animal, but it would soooo be worth wasting the money to jam that 4 cylinder in there...IMO!!

800 2-stroke HPDI (High Pressure Direct Injection) powered by yamaha.....didn't they said 5 new sleds in the next 5 years with new motors.....

Tyloooor said:
800 2-stroke HPDI (High Pressure Direct Injection) powered by yamaha.....didn't they said 5 new sleds in the next 5 years with new motors.....
Yes they did !
But I also think they said they would not go back to a 2stroke

Grimm said:
My bet is a turbo version of the Nytro engine. They've already jerry rigged the ProCross Chassis to fit the 3 cylinder, why waste money trying to stuff the 4 banger in there?

According to snowgoer, they got a no way in hell response when they asked a Yamaha rep about a turboed 3 cylinder and that the Yamaha engineers can make NA motor that can make that kind of power with no need for that "gimmick".

4 stroke is only 25% of the market.....they're missing out ..I'm sure once upon a time they said they would never pattern up with cat

sledhead23 said:
I have been doing a little research on 4stroke tech and can see wonders for Yamaha's future motors (only reason why I can see yamaha letting the Nytro tech go). First thing I would predict is better tuned mufflers and headers from Yamaha. If they were able to gain 14hp like Aaens that would be roughly be 149 to 154hp. Then the biggest advancement would be DI; car manufactures are claiming 10-20% increase in power with a 10-30% increase in fuel efficiency on 4strokes with DI. can I say "WOW", now that would be a sweet set up, they have the potential to achieve 163.9hp to 184.8hp NA and 200+ hp with a small turbo. There would be no need to produce another 4banger (even though their soooo nice and smooth). Thats my prediction for the next 5 years lol

Now if the same is applied to the 4 banger then by your formula (which sounds nice) then 215hp with no turbo and a phisically smaller engine could be had. That seems like a much better choice then the tripple.

As far as aftermarket headers, mufflers and controlers go, will they pass sound and emmision levels? Less restrictions for aftermarket then for the manufacture of the sled I would think.

DI is a great thing but you just can't compare automotive engines to the high strung motors we use. Motor load is way different. There are gains to be had but I would not expect as large of increases in our application!

09nytro said:
Tyloooor said:
Yes they did !
But I also think they said they would not go back to a 2stroke
The way I read it.... it was a new sled or new motor each year, for the next five years. Yamaha has not brought out 5 new sleds with new motors in like, forever

Were these not new sleds a few years ago: 03 RX1, 04 Warior, 05 Vector, 06 Apex, 07 FX Phazer, 08 FX Nytro. Never mind the Venture line up.

MY 2015 should be like MY 1997 when the entire lineup switched to one chassis (mostly) with new or revised motors. Everybody else makes one chassis for everything, and Yam needs to do the same for economies of scale.
About 150,000 sleds sold worldwide last year, what maybe 10-15,000 Yamaha's - tops???
How can they make money building so many different rear skids, chassis, etc for a production run of a couple hundred for some models?
So the Procross, oops SRV, chassis and whatever japan comes up with is the direction they could go while utilizing existing engines.

I heard they were going to put a nytro motor in a artic cat and call it a viper!!!!! oh wait im a year late. silly me talking about the present.

They said new models, not sleds. They still have the rights to the SR Venom name as well, that will be probably be next years new model. What will it be? Probably another pro cross sled with maybe a phazer motor? The venture touring series are nice so I can't see them changing them next year. A mountain version of the viper I'm sure will be on the agenda, probably bring back the Mountain Max name lol. I agree with the rest, too early to tell. But I wouldn't get excited for new engines and factory turbo's, you won't see it next season.

Back