• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 YAMAHA SNOWMOBILES

While I was speaking with one of the after market turbo guys at the Novi show. He said that some of the Yamaha engineers were asking him and inquiring about turbos. I'm sure it's a long shot, but a factory turbo would be so nice :Rockon:

Pppp

Soon or later you will see a turbo (mpi) on a yamaha sled. They are way too close of a partnership, but just couldn't meet demand with yamaha racing to meet the Viper design finishes etc for this year. I see an entry style sled in the cat suspension coming real soon. This (ballpark) 100hp sled will attract those with lower budgets, and younger riders looking for that lighter cooler look. From there I see the mountain version of the sled coming. Being a gambling man and from our TY leaders words I bet a new motor after those two. Which would probably replace the apex or vector models. Think about it... Cat, And doo use very similar platforms for all of their sleds. Just with minor tweaks. Even poo uses similar sled platforms for all of their trail sleds. The thing that changes is shock packages, adjustability, color scheme, and minor adders. I see yamaha doing the same. American assembled for a lot of the models to limit tax issues, shipping costs, and political bs. (Also the Japanese issue they had with the reactors messed up their future for a bit) Using Japenese engineering of motors, drive components and quality control forms a good relationship. Now where this goes after cat uses the same platform for five years no one knows. Most platforms last about 5-6 years. So maybe a merge, maybe a new all yamaha design, or maybe still a joint relationship.... Ho can tell? But all in all I see this progression like it or not. Hat I care about most are hose motors, clutches, and drive components that last more then anyone else's. The rest I want look, comfort, and flat riding

Fly by wire throttle! Yamaha has it on there FX SHO 1.8L Supercharged Waverunner. maybe more models with push button reverse or that dampening bar on every sled to make it ride better !

erosled said:
sledhead23 said:
First thing I would predict is better tuned mufflers and headers from Yamaha. Then the biggest advancement would be DI

Aftermarket companies do not have to worry themselves with meeting emmisions requirements thus they can make an exhaust that makes more power. DI isn't well suited for small, high revving, multi-valved four stroke engines.

I agree regarding the exhaust regarding mufflers, but better r&d on the headers and other pre muffler exhaust tubing would yield better results. Is an off highway vehicle, while it still has to meet emission regs, there are less restrictions for of highway use.
As far as di, any 4 stroke will respond well to it. It simply costs money to do it. This is the off highway thing hurting us as the emissions regulations are less restrictive than on highway vehicles. Which is why the manufacturers are putting di on cars.

The way the Sled Talk Blog is pushing the performance dampers, it really makes me wonder if they've got anything new coming out? I can see a '15 Mountain Viper release, that's gotta happen. Otherwise I see the rest of the '15 line-up being underwhelming. It's happened every year on this forum since '08. Even last spring's Viper release was controversial because it was a YamaCat.

tomanytoyz said:
Fly by wire throttle! Yamaha has it on there FX SHO 1.8L Supercharged Waverunner. maybe more models with push button reverse or that dampening bar on every sled to make it ride better !
They have had throttle by wire on the R1 and R6 sportbikes for years. Also on the new Ace 900 Doo. Sorry but more stuff to break and no performance gains=pointless to me. :o|

A smooth running YAMAHA motored 800 DI smoker in a RR spec chassis would have me running to my dealer. :sled1:

Attachments

• Yamaha-new-triple.jpg
    Yamaha-new-triple.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 160
SRXSRULE2 said:
If a CVT setup is so "inefficient" then why do most FWD hybrid cars use a CVT transmission?

Those automotive cvt's are run by a chain, not a belt. Belts rob HP, and it's about time someone comes up with a drive system that eliminates the belt clutch system. I think the main reason the belt works on the rmk is that it is simply a belt, with no torsional side loading. That, and it's less rotational mass than the chain in the chain case.

A seamless shift automatic transmission would be good in a sled. That new Yamaha triple in the new fz09 is an 850cc, cross plane crankshaft 115 HP or so motor with good tq to boot. I Got to check the 2014 fz09 out at the Indianapolis motogp race this year. That 850 is 390 lbs, dry, 414 full of gas. It's lighter, and noticeably, than the 4 cylinder fz 6. The motor on that 3 cylinder is much narrower than the 4 cylinder fz 6, or fz8. I think that motor would package well in a sled, and the power would be right where they need it to be, and using a common motor as in a bike will save Yamaha cash, and allow it to hit a price point that they need to hit to sell more sleds.

I understand that, and know first hand that they use a chain and hydraulic variator setup. I have even had a few apart from Ford Freestyle/ Five hundreds.

Here's the thing. I can pick up most fwd transmissions by myself, I can't lift a cvt by myself. They are heavy. They are very expensive to make, maintain and repair. The ZF built ones Ford had were around 9 grand for a complete, there's 3/4 of a sled there.There are a lot more moving parts which equals many more things to go wrong/ break. You blow a belt, you change it. Simple, the way it should be when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Not knocking you, just giving some insight. The polaris belt drive system is simple but it has not proven reliable for a sled that see's a lot of track shock ie. Sudden traction destroys them. Is it a great idea? Yea. But CB performance had one on an SRX how many years before polaris did?

Yes, simplicity/reliability is a key thing needed on a sled. That's probably the main reason that belt CVT clutches like we all have still exist in sleds.

I think we all can agree that we need more efficiency in or sled drive lines. I for one think that any and all technologies should be explored, and the CVT clutches we have on sleds is probably the most ancient tech on modern sleds.

Ak Yammy said:
tomanytoyz said:
They have had throttle by wire on the R1 and R6 sportbikes for years. Also on the new Ace 900 Doo. Sorry but more stuff to break and no performance gains=pointless to me. :o|

A smooth running YAMAHA motored 800 DI smoker in a RR spec chassis would have me running to my dealer. :sled1:
Yes, but bikes are twist not finger or thumb.they can move it over to sleds easy.waverunners are pumping that throttle more then sled owners,with no issues so far..anyway yeah no thrill..they need to go big cc 2 smoke if im going to move ,make it a 1000+ DI.we always want more! :drink:

Belt driven CV's aren't that inefficient... Think of it in the pure and simple physics. To cause a drop in efficiency, you need to dissipate energy. That means you have to convert power to heat, light, or noise generally. We know CV's don't generate light or noise, but they do make heat.

Another way to think of it... An electric 240v garage heater is usually rated at 5000 watts. That is the equivalent of about 6.7 horsepower. (watts/746) So, if your clutch is absorbing 7 horsepower, it needs to get rid of as much heat as a 5000 watt heater running at full blast!

(disclaimer, I'm assuming running at WOT... CVT's are most efficient when driven hard, and least efficient at slow speeds, so it isn't a nice clean conversion. A CV burn 50% of your power at lower RPM, but only 4% at WOT.)

Well CVT clutches do make a lot of heat, so there is a lot of wasted power/ energy.
There's a reason so many tuners and knowledgeable people try to come up with improvements and alternate ways of transferring power on sleds.

Back