• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 YAMAHA SNOWMOBILES

I know it isn't nearly as sexy of a thought, But it would be good to see Yami take 80 & 120 hp versions of the Phazer 4 stroke and plant them in family sled designs like Ski Doo has just done with their 900. There are a lot of people out there looking for a warm and smooth riding machine with a comfortable seat and light throttle pull. This will open up a significant part of the market. Light, comfortable, mainstream.

RedRX1 said:
I know it isn't nearly as sexy of a thought, But it would be good to see Yami take 80 & 120 hp versions of the Phazer 4 stroke and plant them in family sled designs like Ski Doo has just done with their 900. There are a lot of people out there looking for a warm and smooth riding machine with a comfortable seat and light throttle pull. This will open up a significant part of the market. Light, comfortable, mainstream.

They did start this with the phazer, venture light ans so forth.. But they stoped developing them and had no engine options but I agree. Engine choise in a chassi suitable for both mountain riding, trails and hauling family

Lynx now has the commander 800 with is selling really well, it's a workhorse, family, powder beast :) Like a dubbelseated widetrack Nytro with skinz frontend and an apex engine.. :) Yamaha has somehow decided it would be a good idea to make 4 different sleds that share nothing..

fxnytroxtx said:
misterbrutus03 said:
I think a performance version of the sr viper w/ the 4 cylinder genesis would be great!!

X2!

X3! I will keep my '07 Apex until they build a YamaCat with the Apex motor or a boosted 3 cyl. I can't see buying a new sled with less power than what have now.

200 hp and light

this is the motor I am waiting for when they build it I will buy a new sled. 200hp is just right in a snowmobile about 100-120hp to the track. think about this bmw makes the S1000RR motorcycle with 193 hp with almost all the hp to the rear wheel and the bike is about 400lbs. So snowmobiles have a ways to go in the power to weight area.

Re: 200 hp and light

srx900 said:
this is the motor I am waiting for when they build it I will buy a new sled. 200hp is just right in a snowmobile about 100-120hp to the track. think about this bmw makes the S1000RR motorcycle with 193 hp with almost all the hp to the rear wheel and the bike is about 400lbs. So snowmobiles have a ways to go in the power to weight area.

Nearly all the liter bikes have the same percentage of HP to the wheel. Unfortunately until the traditional cvt belt drive gets replaced, that efficiency will never happen.

I agree with you fully though that they need to get the power to the track better, but over 90 % efficiency to the track won't happen either. It takes a lot more power to spin a track than a rear wheel of a bike. Just the track alone weighs a ton, then there's just a lot more friction.

I will keep my 06 Apex as well but I may be seriously looking next year if all goes well with Yamacat perhaps it is an option I may just get used to the power. I like the position, unsure of the air shocks though. We'll see how it goes. Put a lot of work and money into the Apex this year I hope all goes well should be a blast to ride again. Next year may be time for an upgrade. Either 2012 Apex std EPS or Yamacat.....hmmmmm New sled either way I'll have 20000 km's on my Apex by 2015 season.

It surprised me to hear two buds with over 12000mi on there Apexs say same thing. They would buy a Viper with the Apex motor. Is it the rider forward position you Apex guys want?

cannondale27 said:
It surprised me to hear two buds with over 12000mi on there Apexs say same thing. They would buy a Viper with the Apex motor. Is it the rider forward position you Apex guys want?

The motor is just that good! Nothing like it IMO

cannondale27 said:
I agree but whats wrong with the current chassis that the Viper would address?

Riding position and weight would be my guess. Personally I have not had much of an issue with these things...

For me it is riding position mostly After a 300km day my hips get sore and my knees. Any more mileage than that in a day my back gets sore. Now I know this is typical and will happen after a long day regardless but I think the more standing position will help keep it more comfortable especially in the beat up trails. The suspension set up is what I am interested in and the handling and ride quality. My issues currently with the viper are smaller gas tank than Apex, slower than Apex, and expensive. I am unsure of the air shocks as well. I got some shock work to my Apex this year hopefully it will solve all my problems lol. cannondale I would love to see a write up of your seat time/first impressions with the viper.

I forgot to mention the sound and smoothness of the 4cyl, I find the 3 cylinder sounds raspy, almost like a drone at high rpm.

yamaha1973 said:
The motor is just that good! Nothing like it IMO
X2...could not agree more!

Murse said:
For me it is riding position mostly After a 300km day my hips get sore and my knees.
My 2008 Vector starts to work on my back and knees after a big day. However, the 1" taller seat on the '11+ Apex makes a lot of difference. You wouldn't think 1" would matter, but it does. The '11+ Apex needs a taller handlebar riser from the factory though...imo.

Had a chance to try an 11 XTX I liked it not long enough ride to tell the real difference but for sure higher. Could not find one for less than 10000$ around here and any cheaper it is usually high mileage which means donuts etc. I may start looking again for next season for a std Apex. We'll see how the budget is and how the ride is on my 06 after the money I put into it this year. Or I will wait and see what Yamaha has to offer new. Here's to hoping.

Back