• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 141 MTX Turbo gets stuck easy

chechem84

Country
USA
Ok guys, as the title says, my MTX 16 gets stuck VERY easy. It seems like a lot of ski pressure, which is great in trails, the 2nd I get in deep stuff, I really have to work it so it doesn't get stuck.

Whats the truck? PSI in the skis? Adjustment? Whats the best setup people have found?

I am around 205 not suited up. I have the MPI trail kit on it with an MPI clutch kit.

I literally can plow snow with the thing in the driveway. It seems like its too nose heavy. I told the dealer last year to set it up for my weight. The thing that sucks is we had next to no snow in maine last year. It does go ok if I keep it in the throttle, but seems to nose dive, and if I stop in anything above a foot of snow, it likes to get buried.

Mine is a 153", but I run about 60psi in the ski shocks. Also some wider ski's will make a huge difference! Lot's of choices in ski's in both OEM or aftermarket, but generally speaking a 7" to 8" wide ski works well on a four stroke in deeper snow.

What is a good PSI in the shocks and settings? I have the fox floats and I think a standard spring shock in the front skid. Someone said to upgrade from the standard spring, but I will be doing some mountain riding next week and want to know a good setup for my weight that people have found (that I can start with)

I will check my front shock PSI. I think it was 85. So I want softer in the front?

Ok guys, as the title says, my MTX 16 gets stuck VERY easy. It seems like a lot of ski pressure, which is great in trails, the 2nd I get in deep stuff, I really have to work it so it doesn't get stuck.

Whats the truck? PSI in the skis? Adjustment? Whats the best setup people have found?

I am around 205 not suited up. I have the MPI trail kit on it with an MPI clutch kit.

I run pretty much the same setup with 8 inch Slydogs and they work very well. OEM Skis are to small in my opinion for off trail. Yeah the sled might be heaver on paper then 2cycle but she dont act heavy off trail. 70psi front. 125psi rear.

Last edited:
What is a good PSI in the shocks and settings? I have the fox floats and I think a standard spring shock in the front skid. Someone said to upgrade from the standard spring, but I will be doing some mountain riding next week and want to know a good setup for my weight that people have found (that I can start with)

I will check my front shock PSI. I think it was 85. So I want softer in the front?

Yes, generally speaking you'll run softer pressure in the ski shocks when mountain riding. It helps reduce steering effort and makes the sled easier to side hill.

It also helps to pull the limiter straps up (shorter) slightly. This reduces the track approach angle. By reducing the approach angle of attack it allows the track to climb up on to the snow easier in deep snow, as apposed to clawing it's way into the snow and digging downwards.
Of course when you pull up the limiter straps, it increases ski pressure as well, which is way we tend to run less air pressure in the ski shocks.

If you can swing the cost of a set of mountain ski's, it will make your life easier in the mountains and you'll enjoy the trip more!

Last edited:
I went out today and found my front ski pressure was 100PSI. I will drop to 70. I will take a look at the straps but didn't they only come with one punched hole?

I cant really afford skis right now but will look into them when I have more $. I will also see about the back shock.

Is there any click changes I should make on the front skid shock as well? If I do have more holes in the straps wouldn't I need to adjust that as well? I have a rear air shock, what PSI for that?

Thanks guys! I came from a heavy Nytro, but this sled feels just as heavy so I am trying to tweak it.

Last edited:
As already stated, ski shock pressure. I see you already dropped to 70psi I run mine at 85 because I'm a fat kid. The stock skis SUCK for anything off trail. Going to a 7"+ ski makes a huge difference. I installed the SLP Mohawks which are 7 1/4 wide on my 15 Viper MTX, night and day difference and are supposed to be good for trail riding too
0fd7d6b9-9870-4125-b4df-f49617a6c292_zpsiiw1nizk.jpg

I went out today and found my front ski pressure was 100PSI. I will drop to 70. I will take a look at the straps but didn't they only come with one punched hole?

I cant really afford skis right now but will look into them when I have more $. I will also see about the back shock.

Is there any click changes I should make on the front skid shock as well? If I do have more holes in the straps wouldn't I need to adjust that as well? I have a rear air shock, what PSI for that?

Thanks guys! I came from a heavy Nytro, but this sled feels just as heavy so I am trying to tweak it.

For the front skid shock, I would start with where you currently have it set at and see what the snow conditions are like. If it's soft deep powder then you may want to back it off slightly to help reduce trenching. If the snow is firmer then you can tighten it some for more transfer/reduced steering effort.
For rear shock, set the air pressure for your weight and desired ride comfort. As an example I weigh 175# and run 115-120psi in the main chamber and 160psi in the EVOL chamber.

So I wanted to post an update. I put my front shocks at 70. I also had installed the MPI clutch kit this fall.

Sled is not the same sled. I had snow buried up to the hood at standstill and was able to hop out. I also can now pull wheelies and maintain them. The clutch kit made all the difference.

Back