• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 MTX Clutching

Jojack

HI folks! Haven't been on the website for a few years. I had a 2009 Apex Mtx for about 5 years. Then I went to the dark side for 1 year and had a 2015 Assault RMK but sold it and now back to yamaha. I just purchased a brand new 2016 Viper MTX 153. I ride at low altitude (1200 feet) and ride 50% playing in the deep powder and 50% cruising on the open lake. I don't plan on adding a turbo. I do plan on adding a ggb trail can soon. I know i will have to change the clutch weights for low elevation. Should i just do this through the dealer or would i be better off buying a clutch kit through ulmer, schmidt bros, thunder prodducts etc? I know with this big track it won't be ultra fast but I wouldn't be upset if I could get 90mph. Would be nice to have some ski lift in the deep snow also. Anyways any thoughts on what way i should go for my prairie mountain viper :) Thanks

HI folks! Haven't been on the website for a few years. I had a 2009 Apex Mtx for about 5 years. Then I went to the dark side for 1 year and had a 2015 Assault RMK but sold it and now back to yamaha. I just purchased a brand new 2016 Viper MTX 153. I ride at low altitude (1200 feet) and ride 50% playing in the deep powder and 50% cruising on the open lake. I don't plan on adding a turbo. I do plan on adding a ggb trail can soon. I know i will have to change the clutch weights for low elevation. Should i just do this through the dealer or would i be better off buying a clutch kit through ulmer, schmidt bros, thunder prodducts etc? I know with this big track it won't be ultra fast but I wouldn't be upset if I could get 90mph. Would be nice to have some ski lift in the deep snow also. Anyways any thoughts on what way i should go for my prairie mountain viper :) Thanks
went

Did factory settings work for you? I'm also in sk, and factory settings (8BU10's with two steel 17.2 rivets in each) got me to about 50 mph and constantly on the rev limiter. I changed weights and Yamaha sent me the proper helix this year to try (I didn't receive the 43* at first I had the stock high altitude 37*). I'm curious to know what you're running or what you made work. I'm also still on the 8JP belt, sled was bone stock last season, I just now put a can on.

Baillie78, did you get a chance to run that 43* helix? I am in the same boat too. Hi altitude weights with only one rivet. Going to add the 17.2mm rivet this week. Really hitting the limiter and struggle to get it to 60mph. Anything over 3/4 throttle at any time and its bucking like a horse. Really interested to see if that helix worked for you

I have just a can on mi 2015 srviper mtx 153, I cant bar it at all without bouncing off rev limiter, and trying to power over stuff is tricky because hit limiter and it’s like I hit a wall, no clue what to do, all I heard was heavier weights

I have just a can on mi 2015 srviper mtx 153, I cant bar it at all without bouncing off rev limiter, and trying to power over stuff is tricky because hit limiter and it’s like I hit a wall, no clue what to do, all I heard was heavier weights
Yes, you will need to add weight to bring the rpms down a bit.

Ok thank you , So do I keep the stock spring and how do I know what weights to put in compared to stook?
Give Tom Hartman a call. They advertise his website on this forum. He can tell you everything you need to know. He has helped me out a few times before and what he tells me to use is usually pretty close for where I'm riding. I ride both low and high elevation so I have to have 2 different setups for my sled.

Give Tom Hartman a call. They advertise his website on this forum. He can tell you everything you need to know. He has helped me out a few times before and what he tells me to use is usually pretty close for where I'm riding. I ride both low and high elevation so I have to have 2 different setups for my sled.
Is Tom Hartman still the guy to call about clutching? If so do you have a number?

Is Tom Hartman still the guy to call about clutching? If so do you have a number?
Yeah here is his number 208-468-1073. This man knows everything about clutching setup.

Got another question. Is there any way I can check what gears I have without taking my chaincase apart?

Back