• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Phazer RTX 60mph top speed

Jayson

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Phazer RTX
Can't seem to figure out why my 2016 RTX will only go 66mph at 12k rpm. Mods are a few from Schmidt Brothers as well as a 136" 1.5" free ride.

I have Chris' stage 2 clutch kit. Stock gearing (18/41) with 9 tooth drivers. Tested by 2 different riders, talked to Chris multiple times. NEED HELP.

Free revving on a stand the speedo will show over 95mph @ 12,360rpm. riding it'll go 58 - 66.. these are mph on the speedo. I'm in PA 400 ft above see level.

Attachments

• IMG_4334.PNG
    IMG_4334.PNG
    404.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

We have torn both clutches completely down and reassembled them a total of 4 or 5 times now. We even took the spring out of the secondary and verify the helix collapses completely, and took the belt off and rev'd the sled to make sure the primary is closing completely. Engagement is correct with Chris' spec @ 3,700 to 3,800 rpm. There is just no top speed when riding the sled. Sled is a 2016 with 276 miles on it.

Last edited:
I experienced similar results with SMT BROs Chris is good to deal with, first you are still running your stock gearing 18/41 correct? are you running your secondary in the stock position 1A position? also the screw type weights in the stage two kit will not work in the phazer clutch, will not allow the clutch to fully shift out because they bind, get the modified custom rivet type from Chris he might have told you that already,

Already have the rivet type weights. Thanks. We're stumped... like I said we've verified full shift out. Yes still stock gearing. B1 per chris' reccomendation on the helix. Tried A1 made no difference. Engine starts, idles, rev's / runs fine. Just no top end..

Last edited:
Where in PA are you located?

Already have the rivet type weights. Thanks. We're stumped... like I said we've verified full shift out.
Seems kind of funny, on a stand free rolling not under pressure it may shift out for you, your getting the rpm but not the track speed when riding so that tells me that your secondary is not opening up quick enough to give you the ground speed, your goal is 11200-11600 at about 80-85 mph in ideal conditions, either your secondary is binding with the new helix under pressure or you need more weight in the primary, you may want to try the factory helix on a ground run, make sure your in the A1 in the secondary

Oh, too far for us to try swappin parts. I'm in NE Ohio. Probably 3-4 hours away from ya. Just for reference I've seen 95 mph out of my 09 Ulmer clutched RTX.

What conditions?
My Mountain Lite will top out at ~100 km/h in deeper snow on a frozen lake, but will do close to 130 on a groomed trail.

We are trying to help Jayson out. We put in the stock primary spring back in and stock helix on a-1 first, plus took at one shim to get the belt higher since it was setting in a 1/4 inch.
Off the ground does 96 at 12420.
Second time we left the stock primary spring in but change the secondary to b-1.
Still does 96 but lower the rpms to 12370.
Does this sound right?
What to try next?

No that does not sound right, do you know where the machine was operating at stock before you made any changes-ground speed-rpm? my rtx and xtx the belt was about level with the secondary maybe a bit higher had to do with going into reverse, putting it to b1 should of raised the rpm, how much wrap are you putting on the secondary spring?

It seems like no matter what settings you put it in or parts combo you do. It does not change anything.

Seems like the primary weights might be to heavy.

What does A, B, and C mean? Can you explain the wrap part you aaked. We've tried A1 and b1 with no changes...

I know there is an A,B, and C on the secondary. I'm just trying to visually picture how your saying to stall it. The spring has 2 tangs that stick up, one on either end. One end goes into A or B and the other goes into 1 on the helix..

Back