• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Phazer RTX 60mph top speed

put the belt around JUST the secondary and "Pinch" it, how does it sit then? that's how I check deflection quick before I actually take a new clutch setup for a test ride, I like the ribs just barely sticking out.

Is there anyone able to give me a call to talk about this issue? Can pm you the number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to know what mileage was the sled at when 80+ mph on the speedo?

Am I maybe not enough mileage (280 miles on my sled) total to see 80mph?

I understand I need get tip rivets in to bring the rpm down. I am waiting on rivets. I'm just asking what how many miles where on you guys' phazers before you saw 80mph?

I was thinking you need 500 miles on the machine to be fully broken in, I could be wrong on this, it would be in your manual. I had 750 miles on my machine before messing around with clutching.

Ok, when you say 3 grams, do you mean 3 grams each arm or 3 grams total?

You need more weight in the primary, add 2 grams to each weight and test again. Anything over 11,500 and you are loosing hp, by 12,000 your down 3-4hp and the rev limiter kicks in around 12,300. Going to a 19 tooth is going to work against you, stock 18 tooth is good for 80+ GPS speed (87-88 on the speedo)

If I can do 80-84 on the speedo (74-76gps) on normal trail conditions with a 144" Freeride , you can too! I'm running 19/41 gears on 8 tooth drivers which is identical to using a 17t upper on 9 tooth drivers on a short track.

I'm on an 18/41 with a 9 tooth. So just be 100% I need TIP weights 2 grams heavier EACH then what's in there now. Example mine now are 3G of weight in each tip (9g total), I need 5g EACH (15g total) correct? Thanks in advance!

Am I maybe not enough mileage (280 miles on my sled) total to see 80mph?

I understand I need get tip rivets in to bring the rpm down. I am waiting on rivets. I'm just asking what how many miles where on you guys' phazers before you saw 80mph?

I am thinking your engine may be too tight (new) still. We are over 3,000 miles on the GT. it is geared 18/41 with stock drivers (9 tooth) Was originally geared 20/41. Just put the skid back in it tonight and ran it on the stand to align track. I ran it up out of curiosity and let off as it flashed 100. This is on stand with no load. Keep in mind I am not running stock clutching. Primary has a Big Venom kit in it and I run new style secondary.

I'm on an 18/41 with a 9 tooth. So just be 100% I need TIP weights 2 grams heavier EACH then what's in there now. Example mine now are 3G of weight in each tip (9g total), I need 5g EACH (15g total) correct? Thanks in advance!
Yes, put an 17.2 4.5g in Each tip, that is the heaviest Yamaha rivet. That might not be enough but it should lower your RPM enough to pickup some speed to verify if you either need more weight (add to the middle hole next) or you have a mechanical issue with the clutchs. Maybe some of the RTX/GT guys will chime in on how much weight they have had to add, my MTX comes with a different weight from the factory.

So just to update...

Ordered a brand new belt from Yamaha. Mine had 280 miles on it, I guess it could be shot. Doesn't hurt to have a spare.

Chris (From Schmidt Brothers Motorsports), got me some heavier rivets. Going to install them today. We're still thinking there's a problem with my secondary clutch assembly, as adding or removing shims won't get the belt level with the sheeves on the secondary, the only way to get the belt up is to wind the helix to B2 85 degrees of wrap (45 is stock in A1). So we'll see how the new belt and heavier weights make out.. thanks for the help so far!

So good news and bad news:

Good news I picked up 2 mph running it on the stand.

Bad news the rpm didn't change, the new belt still sits low, and we gave no snow to test... :(

If I were you I would pull the secondary off and give It a thorough cleaning and polish the helix to a slippery shine with aluminum polish.

So good news and bad news:

Good news I picked up 2 mph running it on the stand.

Bad news the rpm didn't change, the new belt still sits low, and we gave no snow to test... :(

local field with wet grass? testing on a stand doesn't load the clutches enough to verify change. You only need a short stretch of grass to test your "out of the hole" RPM, I use my 400' driveway for testing. 400' is enough to launch and get the Phazer to 50mph before I need to brake.

It doesn't sound that far off, I have a bone stock 2009 rtx phazer. Field to field it will do about 77mph/124kph, with a 1.5 lug track. The fastest I have ever seen on a lake run , wind at my back 84mph/136kph. These sleds aren't that fast and I've had a lot of times where the sled won't go past 60mph/100kph due to extreme headwind.
Hopefully this helps you out. I've been riding the phazer for a while now.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Reading through this thread, I don't anything mentioned like track tension or chaincase chain tension or oil. Double check to see if everything is within spec there. Too tight of a track or chain tension can prevent the belt from coasting back to the top of the secondary.

Back