• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 sr viper stx dx engine oil leak

Trev1976

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 viper stx dx
Got back from about a 40 mile ride yesterday and noticed oil on the snow when i stopped.. Oil dripping from belly pan. Deff motor oil. Machine was never tipped an always stored in heated garage. Only 800 km on it. Took it to dealer. Couldnt find any lose hose clamps or filter issues.. Being a yamaha owner all my life an working on 4 stroke sleds i have. Ever seen this before. Anyone else ever see this an any idea where it would be coming from?

Did you have a recent oil change? If so, double check that the old o-ring wasn't left on causing a bad seal. It can stay in place when changing oil filters.

Did you have a recent oil change? If so, double check that the old o-ring wasn't left on causing a bad seal. It can stay in place when changing oil filters.
Recently had oil changed. Roughly 150 km ago. They said the filter was fine an have no answers as where the oil came from. I will bring it to my shop an have a look myself

So..this happened to my new 2016 STX 146.with 1300K ...first time at 300k ..It tilted right side some..
Dealer said oil in air box from tilting.
It just leaked then stopped..

So they said it was flashed to help the start but it didn't ...but it is running really fat ...smells....came back from a 130k run and same amount of oil leaked out same place on floor..as the first time

So....it smokes a lot on startup...

So..this happened to my new 2016 STX 146.with 1300K ...first time at 300k ..It tilted right side some..
Dealer said oil in air box from tilting.
It just leaked then stopped..

So they said it was flashed to help the start but it didn't ...but it is running really fat ...smells....came back from a 130k run and same amount of oil leaked out same place on floor..as the first time

So....it smokes a lot on startup...
Check oil level. Did you tip it again? Are you sure it's engine oil and not Chaincase oil. There is also a ball spring valve in the oil breather box. This can get gunked up and cause oil to leak. Some clean and then dry this using soap and water with box removed.

Check oil level. Did you tip it again? Are you sure it's engine oil and not Chaincase oil. There is also a ball spring valve in the oil breather box. This can get gunked up and cause oil to leak. Some clean and then dry this using soap and water with box removed.

Whenever I see a good bank on an outside turn I am up it...other than that no

Going for last ride of the season tomorrow..Halliburton Forest...so I'll take good look after that.

I smell of "engine" after a ride my wife says...

It is leaking same floor location as when dealer said it was air box..some comes out then stops...

So..went 230 k last Thur....more oil leaking next day..then it stops..back to dealer i guess.

Had oil leaking from my 15, ended up being residual oil from the air-box leaking out by the bulkhead/slash suspension area.It was a faulty check valve in the oil separator. Might be something to look into.

Had oil leaking from my 15, ended up being residual oil from the air-box leaking out by the bulkhead/slash suspension area.It was a faulty check valve in the oil separator. Might be something to look into.

I'll suggest that to the dealer...sounds like a possibility...

How does the oil get into the air box.....

Dealer did say because I had it tilted on its right side (rough terrain) when I brought it in first time...but I have not tilted it since...

I'll suggest that to the dealer...sounds like a possibility...

How does the oil get into the air box.....

Dealer did say because I had it tilted on its right side (rough terrain) when I brought it in first time...but I have not tilted it since...
Yours has the dipstick for checking oil level correct? If so it is checked fully screwed in. Is a procedure for checking the oil.
Read page 6 here
http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/hsk-1160_Layout.pdf

RJH: I think the check valve freezes or its due to a faulty spring, not 100% sure as to why. I pulled my air box off and took it apart there was quite a bit of oil so I cleaned it, 2 rides later there was oil on my garage floor. My dealer mentioned having changed a couple of separators under warranty, so he changed and the problem went away. And just a side note, the sleds was never on its side and the oil level was never too high. good luck, those types of things are a real pain in the a@s

All, after a recent oil change at the dealer I noticed oil under the machine near the oil filter access. I initially assumed the oil was overfilled and that the excess was "shot" into the air box then would drain on the floor. I cleaned up the oil mess, and prior to riding I checked the oil level and it was in the "NORMAL" range. Upon riding a few hundred miles the floor again had a oil slick under the machine. The check value and oil separator seem worthy of inspecting, so can someone share a detailed PDF where this check value is located and the complexity to service? Where is the oil separator, and how difficult is this to service.

All, after a recent oil change at the dealer I noticed oil under the machine near the oil filter access. I initially assumed the oil was overfilled and that the excess was "shot" into the air box then would drain on the floor. I cleaned up the oil mess, and prior to riding I checked the oil level and it was in the "NORMAL" range. Upon riding a few hundred miles the floor again had a oil slick under the machine. The check value and oil separator seem worthy of inspecting, so can someone share a detailed PDF where this check value is located and the complexity to service? Where is the oil separator, and how difficult is this to service.
Think about this. If there has been two oil spills on floor and oil level is still in normal level where did the oil come from? Is it engine oil or chaincase oil? If its engine oil just by your statement either its not being checked correctly or it was overfull and now is at normal level.

was belly pan cleaned properly? i know i am bad for dripping some oil in the pan when i change the oil filter. old filter still had seal/oring on it?

Back