• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Viper MTX MPI confusion

chechem84

Country
USA
Ok, so I picked up a 2016 spring special MTX at the dealer with the turbo kit. Im totally confused on the HP!

First thing that I was mad about was having to buy a $360 Ulmer clutch kit just to get the clutching right...damn thing wouldnt stop hitting the rev limter, and Yamahas fix was to drill holes and add a bolt to the weights....really!

I see D&D posts a dyno test of 170 with the stock muffler, then 183 with their oval muffler.

Is this damn sled not a 180??? Is it detuned for Yamaha?

Do I need the MPI non quiet muffler for better flow?

I also see they have a quick spool waste gate available, is that needed as well?

Also looking to get a AFR and boost gauge, id there one that is plug and play for the MPI kit?

I paid a lot of money for this turbo sled for it not to be 100% set from the factory, specially an MTX where every ounce of power counts in deep snow conditions.

So I called the boys at MPI and he said EPA tested perfect conditions was 187. Guess that answers that.

There's lots to consider with the mpi trail kit, I had intake restrictions and exhaust restrictions. I changed both and it really spiced things up.

I have the intake out of the hood. Whats exhaust restrictions did you have, muffler? MPI said the newer muffler in the 16 I have is made to deaden the sound and if it needs to make more boost to get the back pressure in line it does.

The intake out of the hood made a huge difference. The loud muffler sounds awsome, maybe some mid range but hard to say.

In hoping the header and pcv work good this year.

Dynomometers aren't a perfect scientific tool. Especially for sleds, they can vary quite a bit. I wouldn't get hung up until you get it out on the snow.

mpi kits are low boost and set up all around that - another excuse from mpi is some of the gems boost controllers were set too low - i think mine was set to 3 pounds - sooooo slow - my tuned stocker was on it heels - so they want u to send em in to reprogram but they wont upgrade to a higher boost level unless ya give em more money - even when i did they wanted me to send em my vin # and sign a document for higher boost numbers, just really out of line in general. im so done with mpi.

mpi kits are low boost and set up all around that - another excuse from mpi is some of the gems boost controllers were set too low - i think mine was set to 3 pounds - sooooo slow - my tuned stocker was on it heels - so they want u to send em in to reprogram but they wont upgrade to a higher boost level unless ya give em more money - even when i did they wanted me to send em my vin # and sign a document for higher boost numbers, just really out of line in general. im so done with mpi.
I personally have had great luck dealing with mpi, 6 psi is all you can run with stock fuel pump and injectors. there's more to higher boost then just the controller.
It seems they have a business to run and sometimes things cost money.

MPI has been great to me. can be hard to get ahold of sometimes when you have a question but they always get back to me in a short time.

I personally have had great luck dealing with mpi, 6 psi is all you can run with stock fuel pump and injectors. there's more to higher boost then just the controller.
It seems they have a business to run and sometimes things cost money.
- sometimes things cost money huh? - whats it worth to spend a bunch of cash and time and hotels and trailer your super expensive slow sled all season and get your #*$&@ handed to ya by a stock 165 hp heavy #*$&@ apex, your 19000 dollar sled hardly goes over 100,, and get a run around the whole season - and spend a bunch of time and money going in circles and all they want ya to do is spend more and IF theres an issue, they'll take care of it, which hardly happens by the way - so finally - they doo admit there may be a problem with some of there controllers and offer a fix - by this time, its march.
-- Boost definitely does start with the BOOST controller - if the automatic boost controller that you cant change is set to 3 pounds --- ITS THE CONTROLLER - and ya cant get more boost without changing the the thing that controls it all - pretty bad when the boost gage hardly moves. another thing i had to add to prove all this. they dont make a gage that reads that low. but the super slow incomplete kits are cheap. needs gearing, clutching, exhaust, better fuel controller, intercooler, an evo brain change - (ask em what happened with that merger) - and toss that non adjustable automatic boost controller and the gems in the trash. the only thing i ended up using out of the mpi kit was the turbo itself - and spend more money === sometimes.

I'm glad you could vent. Your preaching to the wrong guy. I've got the same sled and I've done the same things that you have ( minus the low boost controller ). I agree it sucked having to spend the Money on clutching, gearing and gauges, we knew that going in.

I hope this year works out better for you.

I have a 2016 XTX with the MPI turbo. Here are a few of my observations:

1) My rods are not made of butter and did not fold up in just under 4000 Km's last winter. I no longer worry about that.
2) I have my intake under the hood still and my sled is waaay faster the colder it gets. Out of the hood would make a huge difference I feel.
3) At -25C I hit 173Km on the GPS. There may have been more but I lost confidence.
4) I have seen 5 on my AEM boost gauge many times. I have the updated controller.

It is no longer the best turbo out there but in my opinion it is really good and I love it. I will wait a few years and get a Sidewinder or whatever is newer. I have friends with tuned Apex's and mine is quicker off the line by a lot.

I agree.

Ulmer has an intake that stays under the hood. It sticks out towards the front of the machine.

I'm just going to leave it outside the hood now. It doesn't bother me.

My innovate gauge has gone up to 6.3 a couple times. It's always over 5.

Back