• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 VK Professional 2 - Review/Question

arthur taylor

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 RS Rage GT
Hello all,

Just bought a 2016 VK Pro 2 in December and just went over the engine break-in mileage today.

This is the 2nd Yamaha I've bought, first being the 2007 RS Rage GT. I love the Rage, but decided it wasn't the ideal machine for hunting/fishing so I invested in the VK. Up until 750km I can say the VK is everything I wanted in a utility machine - comfortable, convenient, powerful, fast. The VK has great stability on trail, and off trail riding through powder and wind blown drifted snow. The Skandic SWT I ride often would tip over multiple times on the ride I did today. I live in Canada's north (NWT) and have ridden the new sled in various snow and weather conditions with no complaint or issue.

Until today - at about 750km on the odometer on my way back from a hunting trip, my VK decided not to let me rev over 5000rpm or roughly 55kmh. This was after about 150km of riding in -24 to -29 degrees celcius: 100km on trail - 50km off (breaking) trail - so on the way home. The VK showed no indication of a problem on the display, so my 50km ride home was slow and sluggish. The issue was the engine limiting my rpm, so nothing mechanical in the drivetrain (belt, clutch, etc). My guess is a sensor of some sort?

I'm not complaining about this, it's just that my nearest Yamaha dealer is a 6 hour one-way drive away and I'd like not to have to do that drive for something trivial. Anyone have any idea how I might troubleshoot this issue myself? If I can start eliminating potential issues and then order parts, it would save me the hassle of physically bringing my VK to a dealer. I have a background in electronics and have mechanics able to help, so any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!

not sure about the new FI engine, but is there a little wrench flashing on the display ? Because @ 750kms is pretty close to 800 km mark which Yamaha recommends oil and filter replace for initial break in! If there was any other issue on board diagnostics would flash up a code of some sort! Good to hear you happy with the handling and performance of the machine. Hope this helps! Cheers!

2017-01-17 14.25.41.jpg
2017-01-17 14.23.03.jpg
Update: changed the oil and filter this morning, and then did a quick inspection. There was no indication on the display of a problem, but it was time for an oil change anyway.

I found the air intake cleaner clogged with snow and ice. I Removed the filter and housing and brought inside to thaw. Hopefully that solves the problem. I'll have to make a cover for the very front vent to prevent snow from building up inside the body. I'll try to post pictures later.

Last edited:
I am contemplating getting one of these in the next couple of years. I have the venture mp. I live in Yellowknife and love the machine for around here. But I love that Viking. I like the old school look and the sweet engine. I found it interesting that you prefer the handling compared to the swt. I come from Labrador originally and the swt is the most popular sled. I am considering the 900 wt as well and the vk2. I would love to hear more about your experience with this machine. My biggest concern is weight.

i would suggest looking for some outerwear material to put across the airbox intake to prevent a relapse the next time you break trail. happens to me at times when i do a lot of powder riding.

I am contemplating getting one of these in the next couple of years. I have the venture mp. I live in Yellowknife and love the machine for around here. But I love that Viking. I like the old school look and the sweet engine. I found it interesting that you prefer the handling compared to the swt. I come from Labrador originally and the swt is the most popular sled. I am considering the 900 wt as well and the vk2. I would love to hear more about your experience with this machine. My biggest concern is weight.

I have just ordered some MO-FLOW hydrophobic mesh to cover the hood vents with. That should solve this issue.

I have experience with a 2008 SWT and a 2016 SWT, I found both great until terrain got uneven/bumpy. They both were prone to tipping. I go out hunting with a buddy who rides a 2008 800 SWT 4 stroke, and he gets tipped over when riding in powder and hitting packed snow drifts. The VK pro seems to keep its balance a little better riding the same conditions.

Weight is a definitely a concern, I am able to shimmy the back end over, but not lift the track off the ground much at all. I can't lift and tilt the machine to get under it either without using a 2x4 to pry under the A-arm. While riding, I don't notice the weight of the machine, it goes where I want it to - acceleration and speed are decent as well. I live in Fort Smith, NT and I ride in a lot of powdery snow, can't see weight being an issue if you're riding on the packed snow around Yellownife...... Depends what you're doing. I narrowed my choice of sled to the VK Pro 2 and 900 Skandic WT, the VK was about 80 to 100 lbs heavier depending on the accessories I would have gotten with the Skandic. Most riders here own Skandic, its the popular machine here as well.

Arthur, I'm in Nunavut and looking at the same sled brand new. Wondering if you find it very tippy and is there much ice build up in the tunnel. I see there is a mod for that. I am looking at the ventureMP as well + the 900 ace expedition sport. The MP I understand ices up in tunnel and air intake clogs up. So I'm trying to narrow down choices. Expedition 900Ace sport are popular . Good cold weather starts but not a big skidoo guy have a 550f and a 440 Bearcat. Any ideas, suggestions out there welcomed!!

Back