• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 Vector rear suspension shock blown out, it's a fox air shock!

wife didn't think it rode any better than her 2012.

It was Yamaha's attempt to shave some weight off of the sled. The SS is a Mono variant with a lot less metal in it.

I installed an Elka stage 4 shock in my wife's 2016 Vector X-TX 146".
Shock was made for her weight and riding style direct from Elka.
She says it's rides really nice now.

I rode along side of her through some junk trails to watch how it rode and it's pretty smooth. When we stop to take a break she doesn't want to stop!

I haven't rode it myself yet, new shock on order, will be in Thursday, I'll check it out this weekend if there's any snow left and it's not raining!

I checked out Elka's website today. I applaud them for making a good coil replacement shock for the late model Yamahas.

I checked out Elka's website today. I applaud them for making a good coil replacement shock for the late model Yamahas.
wife didn't think it rode any better than her 2012.

Was going to buy a 2017 for the wife but asked the reps if they were going to find a fix for the air shock since it was on the 2016 & they said they were working on it. Didn't happen.
Went out & found a new 2015 LTX Vector. Wife is a happy rider now.

Got the wife's vector back, they replaced the shock with a new one. Now we need snow and cold weather.

Mine did the same thing at 180 miles. Dealer put a brand new one on but like everyone waiting for snow now. Check Apex forums, there's a bulletin from Yamaha that they are replacing all 2017 Apex shocks. What about the Vector???

Mine did the same thing at 180 miles. Dealer put a brand new one on but like everyone waiting for snow now. Check Apex forums, there's a bulletin from Yamaha that they are replacing all 2017 Apex shocks. What about the Vector???

What shock does the 2017 Apex have?

What shock does the 2017 Apex have?

Looks like an air shock on the fiche. 8KM-47480-00-00 is the part number.
8KM-47480-00-00 is the p/n for a 2016 Vector.

My guess is that Yamaha is seeing enough failures on the Apex's to issue a bulletin. You Vector guys better start calling Yamaha Customer Service and say something nicely.

Sorry to say but I'd bet $50 that these shocks will blow again. Best guess is 1 in 20? Not good odds in my book.

There's a 130 pound blonde that's going to kick some #*$&@ if her shock blows again. I'm getting tired of this bull #*$&@ from Yamaha! My sidewinder isn't any better, engine cut out and no Yamaha bulletin! Got it back from the dealer on the turbo bolts and clutch bolts and then get a call two days later that they have a bulletin on the heat shield problem that I TOLD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! 2012 apex with zero problems and 6000 miles. If I paid $4000.00 for the sidewinder I'd understand! Been with Yamaha since the 300/340 enticer days BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about being pissy but the weather isn't helping.

There's a 130 pound blonde that's going to kick some #*$&@ if her shock blows again. I'm getting tired of this bull #*$&@ from Yamaha! My sidewinder isn't any better, engine cut out and no Yamaha bulletin! Got it back from the dealer on the turbo bolts and clutch bolts and then get a call two days later that they have a bulletin on the heat shield problem that I TOLD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! 2012 apex with zero problems and 6000 miles. If I paid $4000.00 for the sidewinder I'd understand! Been with Yamaha since the 300/340 enticer days BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about being pissy but the weather isn't helping.

This weather sure has me in a sheet mood too! Might as well bring on spring!

But do they offer a shock to replace the air shock on the SS?

Back