• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 Yamaha Sidewinder X-TX SE problems - need advise please!

Stephy Love

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
Hi,

My Yamaha dealer has had my snowmobile there for almost a month now. This is the third time its been there since buying it on Dec. 30, 2016.

I should have known something wasn't right when the sled I originally wanted, the L-TX DX, was sold right out from under me and they could not get another one they said. Then they said the X-TX SE was the right sled.

Since then, the sled has blown through three belts. After the second one blew, less then two months into owning it with a little over 1,000 miles, I called the dealer and they said bring it in. They replaced the rollers and adjusted the clutches and the next week, the belt blew again.

Upon bringing it back to the dealer, I told them that the adjustment they did, took the top end off the sled. She went from 0 to 80 then... nothing, that was it.

The dealer told me they called their dealer representative and a technician from California was coming out to check the sled because "they can't figure out what's wrong with it - they've done all they can and they don't know why she's ripping through belts like that."

The belts that I have brought in are like nothing I have ever seen - or the service department at the dealer they said. It is sheared down only on one side - the inner side.

The sled also had some scorching inside the right outer panel - they had to replace an exhaust shield, which they said was causing the problems.

The only other issue was a track adjustment bolt snapped inside the adjustor

With all this being said, anyone else having any similar issues? Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 399
  • belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 435
  • belt3.jpg
    belt3.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 432
  • belt4.jpg
    belt4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 391
  • belt5.jpg
    belt5.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 414

It almost looks like belt is contacting something on inside of compartment? Sounds too obvious but sure looks like it. I wonder if they set clutches to proper center to center, sounds like belt can't shift out to full shift if only hitting 80. Offset should be to high side of specs.
There are some fairly knowledgeable guys on here, hopefully some will be along soon .

I've never seen belts wear like that. Something is really wrong and your dealer and Yamaha needs to get this sorted out. I have 1600 miles on my original belt and it looks new with no issues. I just don't understand why there are some with extreme issues like this and the dealers have no clue.

It looks like your belt is ballooning out and hitting something on the bottom of the clutch cover. The sides look intact and it doesn't look like the plies are separating . Something is not right in the clutches or it's not the right belt !

I had a belt look like that once it was after I had already blown a belt and when it came apart it bent the guard for the speedo cable. when I would reach a certain shift between the clutches it was just enough to hit for a short while and shave off some of my belt. FWIW.

how can you tell? it looks very much like a Yamaha belt and I don't see any markings. Just curious.

Something seems fishy with the Avatar pic.
Don't know what kind of belt it is. Could be a Yamaha belt.
Dealer has sled for a month for a belt that came apart?? Really?

Ski Doo belt in pictures....
Looks like someone is fishing.
Now that I think about it ! The top cogs look larger and deeper than any of my Yamaha belts. I have a few Skidoo belts lying around I will check. looks more like a Carlisle XS belt !

This exact thread is already being discussed here
http://ty4stroke.com/threads/sidewinder-problems-and-warranty-items.146888/page-4
Seems consensus is belt is hitting something either because something is out of place like a screw,rivet,cover etc and hitting belt or one of the clutches is not keeping up with other causing big belt whipping and it's hitting when that happens. Now it's up to the OP to either dig in herself or himself to find it or have someone else do it. Reposting will not help. Thanks

she also has 3 posts this exact same post in 3 spots and has not responded to any of them yet.

She posted in FB as well. I think she's legit but doesn't come online often.

If someone is trolling it will come out eventually. Maybe I'm gullible but I think this is a legit issue that is not at all a lemon Winder but a dealer that is not interested in helping her (she could have some blame in that too). I get the impression from the FB posts that other members know her and of her problems. It is interesting that she mentions the snapped belt but shows the outer delam. Maybe the snapped belt bent something that is closer to contact when ballooning. Seen that 1st hand on a Vector but it had that aluminum guard underneath that the Winder does not have. Unfortunately she probably can't get much help until the sled is gotten back from the bad dealer.

Back