• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 best prices on sidewinder

Good for you!!

Ordered my RTX 50th back on March 24th..seems like forever ago lol and it's been barely 3 weeks.

Studs and the 4th wheel kit and that will probably do it for me as far as changes go most likely. Will ride it and see what I think about the skis?? If I dont like em, will go with the pilot 5.7's(have them on my 07 Apex now).

50th Looks great in the pictures...hope it looks as good in person?

Doubt you will like the skis....I have my setup already, so i removed the skis before buying them. ;)

My local dealer does not like the snow check program, been burnt by it to many times. Corporate gets the $500 bucks and the dealer is stuck with the sled if the buyer walks. He's more than happy to do service, warranty work and sell parts to me but won't do a snow check sled. I've built a strong relationship with him over the past 20 years, so I understand his position. With that said I did snow check my new sled's with Nelson's Speed Shop in Michigan last Thursday.

Last edited:
Doubt you will like the skis....I have my setup already, so i removed the skis before buying them. ;)

I liked the pilots on my Apex. But my Apex will be 11 years old when my 18 Sidewinder is here...you would think in 11 years of advancement/technology innovation, they would be able to get a decent pair of skis on their Flagship sled???

Got a Cat dealer literally about 300 yards down the road from my place..maybe go and pick up a pair of Cat skis?? Or take the pilots off my Apex before I sell it, and buy red loops for em??

3 or 4 Yamaha ski designs later, and they still suck?? What gives there??

Yeah, Yammie and skis just dont seem to ever work.....lol

Cat ski is a simple single keep design, and will need a dual runner to avoid darting, been there tried that.

Pilot 5.7 is cheapest(by far) and seems to work BETTER then all the pricey skis out there(6.9 abit more money but still cheaper then most)...Grab a 5.7 kit for around 200 bucks(MSRP 264 with all-see below) from most any BRP dealer.

Part #860200524

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Dan, what is the difference between the 5.7's and 6.9's? Besides price! Just starting to learn about these skis.

Dan, what is the difference between the 5.7's and 6.9's? Besides price! Just starting to learn about these skis.
Not alot really....the obvious is the widths (5.7" vs 6.9") which allows for a much better flotation on the heavy nosed 4s engine sleds...the 12004tec DOO works so well with 6.9s, even for trail riders like me, on LAKE RUNS where we are on a lake which may not be rode on alot, there can be alot of powder....these 6.9s get ontop when you get just abit of speed up vs a 5.7 wont do that very well with all the nose weight, and the 6.9s become fun when you crack the throttle on those powder lakes as the nose will just sit way up ontop.

Other things I notice that mean alot to me.....The inside edge of the 6.9s have a nice ridge/edge....another thing to help with darting, where as the 5.7 does not have this on the inside edge.

Also, while the designs are similar, with a 6.9 the spacing between the two carbides is greater. Since they are wider overall. What this does is gives you a much MORE UNIQUE carbide track on the trails....You must remember the 5.7/DOO is the single most popular ski/sled on snow period! So with a 6.9, you wont be following the majority of tracks/ruts left by the most popular sled/ski combo.

Mounting them to spindle is same, shimming them same, carbide mounting same, handles/loops same.

I will add the 6.9s over time may tend to warp more then a 5.7 will. Being a wider ski I notice the outer carbide gets pushed up moreso, where a 5.7 seems to have a better longevity. These pilots are a light ski, not super heavy constructed/designed so they wont last forever when compared to a aftermarket ski, but for the cost I think they are still a better buy. 6.9s are harder and harder to come by as they are not being produced anymore....5.7s are cheap and readily produced and easy to find.

As with any ski, be SURE to watch carbide life, and REPLACE the carbides before any wear gets into the plastic, as the skis can wear out in just minutes without good carbide. And ALWAYS run outer carbides, even though doo sells the skis/sleds without outers, they will wear out fast. Doo knows how to make people buy their stuff, lots of throw away stuff from BRP for certain.

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, great write up! Exactly the info I was looking for. Greatly appreciated. I've got 2 new yamis coming this fall and need to start getting all the accessories and skis are a must.

Hey hey....Everyone knows the best deals are the "last week" of the power surge program! Ive seen some dealers drop a grand in the last week! (not DG )
Summer pricing will start may 15th at $35.00 off like last year. This will be only on the stealth kits! Lets get this summer over people!

Reactions: AXR
Summer pricing will start may 15th at $35.00 off like last year. This will be only on the stealth kits! Lets get this summer over people!
perfect, is that better then a "black friday" deal? In no rush but will take the savings if Summer pricing is best.

Be sure to post again to remind us all!

thnx

perfect, is that better then a "black friday" deal? In no rush but will take the savings if Summer pricing is best.

Be sure to post again to remind us all!

thnx

What product (s) are we talking about here?? 4th wheel kits??

Cat ski is a simple single keep design, and will need a dual runner to avoid darting, been there tried that.

Pilot 5.7 is cheapest(by far) and seems to work BETTER then all the pricey skis out there(6.9 abit more money but still cheaper then most)...Grab a 5.7 kit for around 200 bucks(MSRP 264 with all-see below) from most any BRP dealer.

Part #860200524

View attachment 128496
I think you should hold off on buying skis until we know what will be on the 18's. At the top of this forum there is a survey requested by the Yamaha about what skis customers like. Nobody like the ones on them now so it makes sense there could be a change this coming season.

Part #860200524

View attachment 128496
I think you should hold off on buying skis until we know what will be on the 18's. At the top of this forum there is a survey requested by the Yamaha about what skis customers like. Nobody like the ones on them now so it makes sense there could be a change this coming season.

I wouldn't hold my breath too long. Yamaha has proven a couple things over the years. They know how to build awesome engines and clutches but can't make a ski anybody wants to use.

Back