• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 sled wish

Attack gt

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX
Would I be the minority here if I said that I would LOVE to see Yamaha come out with a serious hard hitting two stroke? My wish would be that Yamaha would build a motor that is aimed directly at Ski Doo's 850. Lets face it... there is nothing out there that is competing with the Sidewinder/Thunder Cat nor is it fair to put anything in the same class right now. But how well received amongst Yamaha/Arctic Cat faithfull would a two stroke power house that fills the gap between the Viper/7000 and the Sidewinder/Thunder Cat be? I would be one of the first in line for a SRX , V-Max, or/Wildcat 850. Although I doubt we will ever see a Tripple two stroke again,(to bad as there is nothing that sounds sweeter IMHO) A Big bad two stroke twin would be almost as exciting to me. Maybe in a new chassis manufactured by Arctic Cat but Quality Controlled by Yamaha? Thoughts? Ok... I will stop day dreaming... lol.

Highly doubt you will ever see another Yamaha 2s in a snowmobile. If Yamaha did release a 2s they would be taking aim at number 1 in the snowmobile market but I'm not seeing any interest in investing in a shrinking snowmobile market. I'll be happy with a new Apex & Vector 4s platform this year & sadly if nothing I'll be on Yellow in the near future.

After 600km on my Sidewinder (turns up just a little after 500 WoW) being a little heavier (ok heavier) than 2-strokes I appreciate the stability that the weight gives in trail running. This sled is FAST !!! Ya ok it's not 132 145 mph fast but damn those corners come quick, and I find its planted pretty darn good. Maybe the extra weight maybe not, perfect sled YES imo. As for 2018 for me same or improved chassis, not that I find anything wrong with it, but 132mph out of of the box would be SWEET. Which should translate to around 120mph in snow trail.
So ya sorry no 2-stroke for me, again just my little 2cents.

After 600km on my Sidewinder (turns up just a little after 500 WoW) being a little heavier (ok heavier) than 2-strokes I appreciate the stability that the weight gives in trail running. This sled is FAST !!! Ya ok it's not 132 145 mph fast but damn those corners come quick, and I find its planted pretty darn good. Maybe the extra weight maybe not, perfect sled YES imo. As for 2018 for me same or improved chassis, not that I find anything wrong with it, but 132mph out of of the box would be SWEET. Which should translate to around 120mph in snow trail.

By all means, I would hope not to replace the Side Winder/ Thunder Cat. Just fill a gap. I got a Turbo Viper and I know an 850 2 stroke would be a step back in power. I am ok with that for weight, handling, and price. I think that there would be a market for it. Look at the Ski doo 850.

There's definitely a market for it. in my opinion if it's not the biggest market in snowmobiling it will be. We all hear about needing to bring young riders into the sport. well the young riders aren't overly interested in trail riding, they want to go play in the trees on lightweight longtracks. like it or not that's the market for the next generation of riders

155hp Viper......That would take HUGE market share from the 800's. Why do think Doo and Cat havent made one. Too much money to be made in 2 stroke 800's !!!

I think IF Yamaha wants to gain serious market share they are going to have to go 2 stroke along with the 4 strokes. Been looking at the Ski Doo 1200 as it is a much more refined sled than the Viper. Also not impressed with the latest Yamaha issues with ECU flash and rods. Looking at dealer inventory no one local even stocks the 1200. It looks like anyone wanting 4 stroke is buying the 600 or 900 ACE, anyone more performance oriented goes 2 stroke. A 3 cylinder 600cc, 130HP 2 stroke and an 800, 160HP I believe would attract new customers. I think the AC chassis with some refinements would fit the bill. The AC Roger Skime edition 600 is a really nice sled, their 600 in bodywork similar to the SW. Yamaha also needs to put something together for entry level. Just my 2 cents.

Refined Phazer, Both Cat and Yamaha could use a lighter/slightly smaller chassis and a new larger displacement/8500-9000 RPM twin. Could knock off 30-40# over the viper and slot right into 900ACE power class. Put the Yamaha electronic throttle system from the vector on it also. Wishlist = 100hp, 4 stroke twin, 475#, Yama-cross 2.0 chassis. What I think they will do is probably a the 998NA triple at ~110hp in a revised Yama-cross chassis for 2018, a chassis that is actually built around housing the Yamaha 4 stroke mills that can be built in TRF.

I think IF Yamaha wants to gain serious market share they are going to have to go 2 stroke along with the 4 strokes. Been looking at the Ski Doo 1200 as it is a much more refined sled than the Viper. Also not impressed with the latest Yamaha issues with ECU flash and rods. Looking at dealer inventory no one local even stocks the 1200. It looks like anyone wanting 4 stroke is buying the 600 or 900 ACE, anyone more performance oriented goes 2 stroke. A 3 cylinder 600cc, 130HP 2 stroke and an 800, 160HP I believe would attract new customers. I think the AC chassis with some refinements would fit the bill. The AC Roger Skime edition 600 is a really nice sled, their 600 in bodywork similar to the SW. Yamaha also needs to put something together for entry level. Just my 2 cents.

The rods only affect a stage 2 Turbo kit, so not many people.

If Yamaha comes out with a 2 stroke sled again, its going to be a re-branded Arctic Cat. Yamaha is not going to develop an all new 2 stroke sled engine to sell 1000 of them in a year. Yamaha only sold like 5000 sleds worldwide last year.

If Yamaha comes out with a 2 stroke sled again, its going to be a re-branded Arctic Cat. Yamaha is not going to develop an all new 2 stroke sled engine to sell 1000 of them in a year. Yamaha only sold like 5000 sleds worldwide last year.
X2, You'll be able to get your Pro Cross chassis 2 or 4 stroke with either a Cat or Yamaha snow flap! :(

That would be interesting rebadged Cat as a Yamaha. Hmmm

A big reason why they only sold like 5000 sleds is that a lot of buyers still want a 2 stroke. Just saying.....

Only way I would ever have any interest in a two stroke is if they could make them last! Two strokes are always on the ragged edge and re ring and bottom end bearing jobs as a part of normal maintenance is why most of us went to four strokes. Tired of things that go bang and ruin your winter. In reality however if you want to trade in every two years and take a bath on the old sled buy a two stroke. Cat makes a dirty 8 that is basically a two stroke in a Viper chassis. I think Cat will be upgrading that motor to a Cat 600 style motor soon!

Back