• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 updates

It only makes sense that there will be some updates for the 18's. I mean, what motorsports company doesn't make small tweaks here and there to a second year machine, that was such a huge hit/made such a huge impact. There will be updates...just a matter of what exactly they are?

I agree with the post/what the guy said above this one.
Hell ya,yamaha had been making tweeks on there 4-strokes sense there first one,the 2003 RX-1 and mine was and still is my fastest Yamaha sled,until 2017 SW,that low center of gravity the RX had,1" nipple track like the SRX,6"of travel,flat handling,and only 130 hp,and it still would GPS 117-118 mph any time on ice or very very smooth hard snow,but it would rattle your teeth on 6" stutters,but took bigget g outs much better. Like already said,all in hind sight,hell I am now 62 years young,new heart,so good for another 20 lol,and have been riding sense 1966 ski-daddler,so I have had lots to compare to ha ha,todays sleds,have so little problems to worrie about,just do it,buy it,ride it,and be happy,life is way to short people.

Hell ya,yamaha had been making tweeks on there 4-strokes sense there first one,the 2003 RX-1 and mine was and still is my fastest Yamaha sled,until 2017 SW,that low center of gravity the RX had,1" nipple track like the SRX,6"of travel,flat handling,and only 130 hp,and it still would GPS 117-118 mph any time on ice or very very smooth hard snow,but it would rattle your teeth on 6" stutters,but took bigget g outs much better. Like already said,all in hind sight,hell I am now 62 years young,new heart,so good for another 20 lol,and have been riding sense 1966 ski-daddler,so I have had lots to compare to ha ha,todays sleds,have so little problems to worrie about,just do it,buy it,ride it,and be happy,life is way to short people.

Nice post Snowbeast..and great to hear you're doing well!

Agreed. Seen quite a few noise issues. This is what has me leaning toward the Cat 9000. Spending that much and possibly hearing clutch noise...deal breaker here. They are all 3 so close (including the TCat) and I expect that to be right. Other than that what a machine !

Might want to think twice on that.... cat clutches have some big issues... cracking primary sheaves and especially the disposable secondary...

I know many have reported no problems with the team clutches on the Cat but maybe that has to do with the fact that the Cat guys are so used to bad belt life and crappy clutches that they don't complain anymore. These clutch and belt issues are totally new to Yamaha riders and how bad are these problems? The Yamaha clutches must be delivering the power better since every head to head with the T Cat has shown the SW is quicker and faster and not by just a little. I still think the Yamaha clutch has always been noisy but the SW is so darn quiet you hear it more. I'm sure there will be updates with the springs and rollers to address belt and performance issues but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a quiet Yamaha clutch.

Some great insight from several regarding the clutches SW vs AC. Thanks for that info.

By the time I buy they may both have the bugs worked out hopefully. A new SW or ZR is double what Ive ever spent on a sled so Id hope to have great clutches.

Im not sure which way I'll go. It will likely depend on the minor tweaks getting resolved and where the deals are at the time....since both brands 998's are amazing sleds.

I was informed yesterday that there are venting upgrades coming for the '18's to eliminate heat under the hood to resolve various issues.

Nice post Snowbeast..and great to hear you're doing well!
Thank you so much,winterwolf.i am feeling better each day,just need to get out of the house more,sense if not all I want to do is sleep,and my dog is no help,he just crawls in bed with me and sleps as much as I do. lol

Thank you so much,winterwolf.i am feeling better each day,just need to get out of the house more,sense if not all I want to do is sleep,and my dog is no help,he just crawls in bed with me and sleps as much as I do. lol

lol that's too funny!! Get out and walk him..it'll be good for both of you!!

I see you're from Maine. I do my riding in the Northern part of the "County"(St agatha, Sinclair, Madawaska, Fort Kent...etc etc!!). Buying my 18 Sidewinder in Caribou. Love it up there..it's a special place imo!!

lol that's too funny!! Get out and walk him..it'll be good for both of you!!

I see you're from Maine. I do my riding in the Northern part of the "County"(St agatha, Sinclair, Madawaska, Fort Kent...etc etc!!). Buying my 18 Sidewinder in Caribou. Love it up there..it's a special place imo!!

They are still riding on the lake (Long Lake-St Agatha) as of today. Facebook post shows a guy going across the lake on his sled. He was going to ride the home made rotating ice circle, powered by an outboard! Lol.

I contacted Yamaha a couple of weeks ago because of a rear bumper ( paint runs) I have been waiting for since I picked up my sled this past October. My second call to them this year, and it did come in finally!

I gave them my 2 cents worth concerning clutching and skis. They were not aware of any updates, but then again, they just let you speak and would not step on dealers toes with any update info!!!

What a bunch of first world problems lol. My dealer sold 20-22 sidewinders last year An none blew a belt. Roller issues and turbo heat shield issues have been taken care of. And there's clutch noise. Really? The clutches are essentially the same as they were 30 years ago. That technology can't be improved on by leaps and bounds currently. So how about I put it in perspective. It sounds same as me saying my $70,000 trucks windshield wiper leaves a streak after only 6 months, so for $70k they should have wipers that last forever, that's just unacceptable lol.

There will probably be updates and yammy will probably not mention any because then people who aren't even having an issue or just want new calibrations will bitch about it and demand warrenty. We already know they have new rolllers our and belts seem like a small group.

I took my sled in for roller issues and was told that the rollers have not been updated. They would replace them but they would be the same as the originals and have the same issue. Is that true or does my dealer have the wrong information? He told me to wait and see if Yamaha comes out with updated rollers.

Maybe it's same roller. I was told they were replacing them. But chance that it's just replacing with stock part. I did hear it was improved roller tho from my dealer but haven't actually held one in my hand as my sidewinder hasent been assembled yet.

I took my sled in for roller issues and was told that the rollers have not been updated. They would replace them but they would be the same as the originals and have the same issue. Is that true or does my dealer have the wrong information? He told me to wait and see if Yamaha comes out with updated rollers.

Yeah I heard the roller update both ways. First we were waiting for the Yamaha updated version then we were told that Yamaha provided the same soft rollers. So dealer just reimbursed me for my Cat rollers

Be nice if we see something improved or different on the 18s. The way things went this past year I'm not holding my breath. Was a big disappointment as far as parts/service and waiting for updates. Kinda forced customers to buy Cat parts. Not cool.

Back