• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 updates

Joe,you need to spend more time out riding .I put over 4200 on my 850 around 2200 on my sw ,and maybe 6-700 on the 800 .that beats talking s--t about 2stks on ty .
You are right Ken for sure. I need to stop working so hard, retire and spend more time on my sleds. I'm still surprised that you kept your SW since you bashed it every chance you could. Does it still have the original engine in it? How about your 850? I'm guessing Doo can give every 850 owner a new crate engine and it would still be cheaper than what a SW engine cost. My talking stuff about 2 strokes on TY was in response to a post about how awesome the 850 was for a first year sled and how great Doo is about all the updates. I didn't start this discussion but I certainly joined in with some facts not fiction.

You are right Ken for sure. I need to stop working so hard, retire and spend more time on my sleds. I'm still surprised that you kept your SW since you bashed it every chance you could. Does it still have the original engine in it? How about your 850? I'm guessing Doo can give every 850 owner a new crate engine and it would still be cheaper than what a SW engine cost. My talking stuff about 2 strokes on TY was in response to a post about how awesome the 850 was for a first year sled and how great Doo is about all the updates. I didn't start this discussion but I certainly joined in with some facts not fiction.
I was just stating my findings with my sw .I'm keeping it ,it's at the dealer now getting updates and the leaky chain case fixed .My 850 rips ,one of the 3 i got had a rod cut the motor in half .They gave me a whole new sled and wanted the bad one back .The sw and 850 are to different use sleds for me ,but the 850 is the most fun sled i've owned to date and i've had 180 sleds of my own to date .I still have 10 now and another 850 xrs for next year and a TD tune up being put in the sw .The doo skis really helped the sw as did me spending days getting the clutching and rear skid to work ,now it transfers and revs quick .I need to stay busy or i buy stuff ,LOL .Sea doo season now my 16 gtx ltd 300 riva ,and a new 17 gtx ltd 300 ..sold my riva fzs yamaha .Enjoy your summer .

I was just stating my findings with my sw .I'm keeping it ,it's at the dealer now getting updates and the leaky chain case fixed .My 850 rips ,one of the 3 i got had a rod cut the motor in half .They gave me a whole new sled and wanted the bad one back .The sw and 850 are to different use sleds for me ,but the 850 is the most fun sled i've owned to date and i've had 180 sleds of my own to date .I still have 10 now and another 850 xrs for next year and a TD tune up being put in the sw .The doo skis really helped the sw as did me spending days getting the clutching and rear skid to work ,now it transfers and revs quick .I need to stay busy or i buy stuff ,LOL .Sea doo season now my 16 gtx ltd 300 riva ,and a new 17 gtx ltd 300 ..sold my riva fzs yamaha .Enjoy your summer .
That's good they gave you a new sled as they should have. I'm on my third Cadillac since 2013 because of issues and I only paid for the first one. My neighbors think I'm rich because I keep getting new ones but Cadillac and GM keep giving them to me and that's what good manufacturers do when things aren't right. I'm not surprised that Doo came through for you and that was the right thing for them to do. There are many who claim the 850 is the most fun sled they ever owned. Some of them had so much fun that now they have them for sale and are buying a different brand sled. I guess it's true that you can have too much fun.

That sled shown,is a 137 ltx-le not sure why it has 2018 colors and design,they are not made yet,and wont be ready till oct,or nov. of 2017.
2018 are on the trail here ,on the french chat one have his rodage done this year on his 2018 ltx 50th

Last edited:
Getting back on track here. Look at some of the pics of the 18's and you'll see the louvers opened up over the top of the driven clutch, the 17 prototypes had these open as well, but the production 17's had them closed off, easy enough to open up however if one feels they will do any good. I was looking at venting some more in front and out the back of the clutch side area, not that the clutches run hot at all, but cooler is always better. Holes are free and FrogSkinz are cheap, both go a long way.

Also you will see vents above the chaincase area on the 18's behind the turbo too.

I'm sure they will be coming with updated rollers in the driven like the ones that were given to the guys with 17's that flat spotted their rollers.

As for other updates, who knows, the chassis has been dialed over the years and the Yamaha 998 seems pretty perfect, trouble free and bullet proof so far. I doubt there will be many if any updates or changes other than the ones already brought out for the 17's. Certainly nothing major anyway.

Be nice if Cat added drain and fill plugs on the chaincase but that won't happen, their just like Doo that way now.

Getting back on track here. Look at some of the pics of the 18's and you'll see the louvers opened up over the top of the driven clutch, the 17 prototypes had these open as well, but the production 17's had them closed off, easy enough to open up however if one feels they will do any good. I was looking at venting some more in front and out the back of the clutch side area, not that the clutches run hot at all, but cooler is always better. Holes are free and FrogSkinz are cheap, both go a long way.

Also you will see vents above the chaincase area on the 18's behind the turbo too.

I'm sure they will be coming with updated rollers in the driven like the ones that were given to the guys with 17's that flat spotted their rollers.

As for other updates, who knows, the chassis has been dialed over the years and the Yamaha 998 seems pretty perfect, trouble free and bullet proof so far. I doubt there will be many if any updates or changes other than the ones already brought out for the 17's. Certainly nothing major anyway.

Be nice if Cat added drain and fill plugs on the chaincase but that won't happen, their just like Doo that way now.
Mike,look up the 860200684 brp vents i've been using on the g4s .They will work nice on the sw also .

2018 are on the trail here ,on the french chat one have his rodage done this year on his 2018 ltx 50th
Now this is the strangest thing I have seen,the 17 parts list fish just became available to us,on all of the sleds that Yamaha made for 17,and the 18 snowcheck just got finished,so how the heck can they have full on production 18 sleds already,just don't make sense,yet I have seen this on other sites too.

Mike,look up the 860200684 brp vents i've been using on the g4s .They will work nice on the sw also .
Ken is this something we just have to cut hole to fit?

lol that's too funny!! Get out and walk him..it'll be good for both of you!!

I see you're from Maine. I do my riding in the Northern part of the "County"(St agatha, Sinclair, Madawaska, Fort Kent...etc etc!!). Buying my 18 Sidewinder in Caribou. Love it up there..it's a special place imo!!
Hi bro,we have a 4 bedroom house in Patten,its on the boarder of the county and Penobscot county,my farther was from a sm town in southern arrostook called benedicta,about 15 trail miles south of me.

Hi bro,we have a 4 bedroom house in Patten,its on the boarder of the county and Penobscot county,my farther was from a sm town in southern arrostook called benedicta,about 15 trail miles south of me.

I've seen the signs for Benedicta many times as I'm driving up on 95...right as you cross the county line into Aroostook county on 95.

Wow you're in a great spot for being able to ride right out your front door!! I'll be heading up to get my 18 Sidewinder on the day after Xmas(John..from GARY'S Yamaha is gonna have it ready for me on December 26th), and do a week of riding..if there's snow up in the northern part of the county..let's hope there is by then??

Mike, i tend to agree with you. I have a feeling we will see NO updates for 18 other then the known issues like heat shield and rollers ect. I would like to think Yam is looking into the clutch issues that arose here this past winter, and the blown belts and pics of primary springs gouging the clutch. I know my yammies of past have NEVER blown belts, or had clutch spring issues.....that was the one area I never worried about on my apex. And me being weary after that 12 cat fiasco junk, hearing even one BELT BLOWER makes me worry.

The other thing to watch for, is they could update things and not change part numbers...we have seen this done in the past on a popular model. Mine will remain stock for some of these reasons, at least initially....I want to get a sense of how it runs stock and how stock clutching is, and get some idea of speed too.

After the 500 mile oil change, the gearing will get upped and maybe at that time I will settle on which tune I want. Will see how the snow is next yr, since these winters seem to be getting shorter and shorter it may be season two before I tune it.

Dan

Yamaha is looking into the clutch issues I just got my sled back from the dealer Donahue Supersports and they fixed several small issues for me and mentioned to yamaha that my primary rollers locked up due to the bushing shifting inside the roller and yamaha wanted the spider, rollers and spring replaced and they are working on a new primary spring if my dealer gets word they are released they are sending me one. They said yamaha wouldn't tell them much but there is obviously an issue greater than the rollers.

Yamaha is looking into the clutch issues I just got my sled back from the dealer Donahue Supersports and they fixed several small issues for me and mentioned to yamaha that my primary rollers locked up due to the bushing shifting inside the roller and yamaha wanted the spider, rollers and spring replaced and they are working on a new primary spring if my dealer gets word they are released they are sending me one. They said yamaha wouldn't tell them much but there is obviously an issue greater than the rollers.

I think we'd all have to be Very Ignorant to think that a Company such as Yamaha would not address these clutch issues/Belt issues. There are Going to be improvements to the 18's in the areas that have had issues on the 17's....that is a foregone Conclusion. If they just leave things as they are, and do not update/address these problems, then they are not the company we all used to know and love. No company is perfect, but Yamaha has a very good reputation for Reliability and quality....I don't think they let that go down the tubes due to first year teething issues on a very popular Sled.

Back