• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Viper LTX - potential build questions

YamaHank

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SR Viper RTX
So I've reviewed many threads on some of these topics, but wasn't able to get all of my questions answered. In short, I am contemplating building up a base 2018 Viper LTX or a 2017 leftover vs. just buying a Sidewinder. (Turbo, shocks, wrap, etc) I had a new 14 LTX-SE for one season and despite all the 1st-year bugs etc, I do regret selling it. Hopefully you guys can help me out real quick:

1. Are the 18 Vipers all coming with the newer version 1049 with upgraded rods etc?
2. Can you still get an MPI trail turbo from Yamaha (sold out on MPI website)
3. If so, can the dealer install it and still carry the warranty or is Yamaha only offering that for 14-16 since the sidewinder came out in 17? I'm not interested in doing this at all if it will void the warranty. I know there are some on eBay.

Thanks in advance.

After turbo's on 2 vipers and blowing both motors (head gasket on 2nd) I feel that you are crazy to go that way when factory built turbo with warranty can be had for cheaper and cheaper to push to 270 hp in the future

Appreciate the feedback Yamadog. Not ruling it out...Just need to get some definite answers to my questions before I make a decision.

Just telling you that there is a lot more involved than just slapping the turbo on and riding and if you go with the MPI trail turbo and their quiet muffler you will not get even close to the hp of the factory winder. I have seen dyno results as low as 157 hp at 5 lbs of boost. When My 14 was built with the stage I MPI and quiet muffler that on the first couple of rides was very disappointing. Remember the stage I cost $4595 + about $1000 in labor and then the clutching on top of that, not to mention the machining of the clutches to achieve full shift out. To push the stage I to its advertised 270 hp you will need head shim or timing reduction by EVO flash, upgraded fuel pump, 4th injector and 2nd gems controller and still have to run blended race fuel. To push the winder that high is about $750 from what I have been reading.

It was not till after the blown motor and the massive re-build and pushing it to 13 #'s of boost that it performed the way I thought it would when it was 1st built. the 15 was built with the parts from the 14 and set at 7 lbs of boost with an EVO flash and still popped the head gasket at about 500 miles. After the new head gasket and the addition of the ARP studs I did get to ride it at 10.5 lbs on 110 race gas and it is crazy fast, dyno'ed at close to 265 hp.

I asked about the Turbo kit when I purchased my 14' as a new left over 2 months ago and they still had the "Factory Authorized" kits in the parts system for 14' and 15' Only. My dealer told me as long as they installed it the factory warranty would still be honored. Would have been ~3000$ installed. If I turbo mine down the road I'm going to use the base factory kit, ditch the gems, and run a PCV pti + Igniton to control it. Anything above 5psi I would swap to low compression pistons/rods, skip the headshim as a headshim opens up the quench area between the piston and head. This is vital to properly mixing and swirling the Air/Fuel mixtures. Maintaining a thin quench area allows more aggressive timing and lower grade fuels to be used at higher boost level and helps maintain that "snappy" feel on the bottom end. Head shims do work, but I consider them more of a band aid, and when is the last time you seen head shims used on an automotive turbo setup?

Simple answer, buy a Winder if you want boost.

I think that settles it. I find it strange that they upgraded the motors in 2016, offered the MPI kit in 2016, but now only offer the kit for 14 & 15 models...doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks for all the input.

I think that settles it. I find it strange that they upgraded the motors in 2016, offered the MPI kit in 2016, but now only offer the kit for 14 & 15 models...doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks for all the input.
Well they did not upgrade the motor they made it worse and after all of the late 16 motor rod issues they decided to skip it and with the evolution of the Winder it makes no sense to offer it and have to deal with blown motor issues.

Yhe change was made not to improve the motor but to stream line the parts bin for the snowmobile and 4 wheeler motors.

Everyone has made their point that the sidewinder is the way to go...but I need to understand this viper situation if I don't want to shell out the 16k.

If the last post is true. Are you getting a better stock motor with a 2018 viper or a 2015 viper?..And did they fix the fuel mapping and warm start issues for 2015? Essentially, what year viper has the best motor and fuel mapping?

Based on what I'm reading it would be a 2015 or early 2016? This contradicts the threads saying you want a late model 2016 if you went with the MPI trail turbo.

The 14&15 motors are good for a turbo. They come with a shitty ecu. The 17&18 motors are fine with no turbo. I know yamaha will not warranty a motor with a turbo. The ecu is a Mitsubishi.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

17 and 18 viper motors should be good to turbo, just won't get Yamaha warranty to back it up, the 16's had a small batch of bad untreated rods, and the ECU in the viper is still the Arctic cat Continental unit, sidewinder has the Mitsubishi.

17 and 18 viper motors should be good to turbo, just won't get Yamaha warranty to back it up, the 16's had a small batch of bad untreated rods, and the ECU in the viper is still the Arctic cat Continental unit, sidewinder has the Mitsubishi.
Sorry about that I assumed since they removed the o2 sensor on the 17 that they also used the Mitsubishi ecu. The 18 better start better then the previous years or I'm gonna be pissed. I snow checked a ltx.

Sent from my SM-T817R4 using Tapatalk

It all depends on what you want to spend!!! If you are looking at a brand new sled a sidewinder would be cheaper in the long run comparing to turboing a new viper!
If you went with a 14 or 15 viper and turboed it you'd end up cheaper imo..
I paid 13000$(tax in) for my viper new in jan 2015 then added a mpi turbo(used) this year for 2200$ including gauges and clutching.
if you want a sleeper go viper

Back