• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019 APEX ?????

vodoo child

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX/LE 50th
I drove up to Old Forge NY. yesterday for SnoFest/ Sneek Peak. Specifically to check out the Sidewinder LTX/LE 50th. After talking with the rep. a few dealers and the tech from Big Moose I came away felling a lot better about the Sidewinder, it's known issues and Yamaha's fixes. Pretty much had my mind made up about pulling the trigger on one for next year! That was until I had one last conversation with the owner of Big Moose. I stated how much I enjoy all aspects of the 4cyl. and with the most likely demise of the Apex after 18. It's a shame the 4cyl. won't be around any longer! He just smiled and said ""With the cult following of that engine, don't be too sure of that"" He went on to explain Yamaha needs a sled in the 150-165 hp. range and the 4cyl. in the pro-cross chassis would fill that segment! I jokingly said, Now why did you have to go and tell me ""THAT""!!! So was he just blowing smoke or does he know something we don't? I'd hate to get a Sidewinder for 18 then they put the 4cyl. in the pro-cross for 19!! Well, guess I'm riding ole reliable for another year! So will the 4cyl. live on in the pro-cross chassis? I'm sure cat would pass on that combination cause of there 800 2 stroke. Thought's, comments, opinion's ?????

Its gonna be another year before the 19's are released and another 6-8 months after that before you would actually have one in your garage. Do you really want to wait that long to see if it's true?

The Apex motor has certainly been a good motor; powerful, reliable, receptive to power adders. But, it is heavy, and the actual engine architecture is going on 20 yrs old (it was derived from the original R1 street bike).
I don't see the current engine in the procross chassis. If the 4 cyl is to survive, I sure would like to see an upgraded version in its own chassis.
IMO the single biggest drawback to the Apex has always been weight. If Yammi could give it another 10-15 hp in stock trim and strip 25 lbs off the overall package (which is certainly doable) they would have a nice machine. But, with the winder performing and selling well, I'm not sure how many buyers would jump ship. When the Apex came out it was the highest hp Yammi sled. And hp sells. Unless it is faster than the winder, it has the 4 cyl engine as its only sales point. Not sure that would be enough.

If Yamaha wants to sell something in the 150-160 hp range I sure would love to see the return of a 2 stroke. Plus it would enable them to re-enter snocross competition. Like what Cat is doing. There is buyers and room for both.

A NA 998 would fill that void just fine. I'm with Steiner, no 2019 threads till next winter. Besides the poor dealers are just as clueless as we are. LOL!

Its a good thought. That is one of the best snowmobile engines ever made so why wouldn't they keep it around just in a new body?

Its gonna be another year before the 19's are released and another 6-8 months after that before you would actually have one in your garage. Do you really want to wait that long to see if it's true?

The Apex motor has certainly been a good motor; powerful, reliable, receptive to power adders. But, it is heavy, and the actual engine architecture is going on 20 yrs old (it was derived from the original R1 street bike).
I don't see the current engine in the procross chassis. If the 4 cyl is to survive, I sure would like to see an upgraded version in its own chassis.
IMO the single biggest drawback to the Apex has always been weight. If Yammi could give it another 10-15 hp in stock trim and strip 25 lbs off the overall package (which is certainly doable) they would have a nice machine. But, with the winder performing and selling well, I'm not sure how many buyers would jump ship. When the Apex came out it was the highest hp Yammi sled. And hp sells. Unless it is faster than the winder, it has the 4 cyl engine as its only sales point. Not sure that would be enough.

If Yamaha wants to sell something in the 150-160 hp range I sure would love to see the return of a 2 stroke. Plus it would enable them to re-enter snocross competition. Like what Cat is doing. There is buyers and room for both.
All good valid points bud, The weight issue never really bothered me since I'm a trail rider. I've ridden heavy sleds all my life. My 05 f7 firecat was light but seemed more like a go kart on big long trail's in the U.P., Canada and Maine. Where as to me a heavier sled is more like a Cadillac on those trails. The last few years I've had conversation's at the Big East Show with the Yamaha reps about the progression of the 4 cyl. cross plane engine from bike to sled and was told it has to high of an rpm. Even with gear reduction the cross plane would not be put in a sled! With the 998cc being used in multiple segments I now see why the cross plane was a non starter for the sled's. For my style of trail riding, 200 to 250 miles a day running 45 to 65mph, do I need a sidewinder with 200+hp and all the tech that comes on that engine? Probably not, but I do know I want more then the 135hp of the Viper! I think the 998NA triple is around 110hp so Yamaha would have to pump that up considerably to get it into the 150-165hp range. Just spitballing here but, higher comp. pistons, different cams, longer run exhaust manifold or header, new fuel mapping and maybe different injectors. IMO, even at 20 yrs. old the current 4cyl. fits the bill. Is it heavy, yes but it's known, reliable and seems to run forever! Some motor mounts, an airbox, a viper like header and new fuel map. Kind of a tossup on what the cost would be of either option . Hence the post, my dilemma and why I'm stressing over this purchase! As far as Yamaha getting back in the 2 stoke market that's a tough call, I'm sure the mountain boy's and the weight conscious would love to see it happen. It makes no difference to me since I'm a 4 stroke only guy. Oh' well, I've got till the 15th of next month to mull this over! Decisions, decisions!! ;)!

A NA 998 would fill that void just fine. I'm with Steiner, no 2019 threads till next winter. Besides the poor dealers are just as clueless as we are. LOL!
I thought I asked a legitimate, constructive, non ""NEGATIVE"" question to the TY members about a future purchase of a Yamaha product and what timeframe to make that purchase! Guess I was wrong!

I thought I asked a legitimate, constructive, non ""NEGATIVE"" question to the TY members about a future purchase of a Yamaha product and what timeframe to make that purchase! Guess I was wrong!

Dude really? I wasn't dogging ya I was just agreeing with Steiner! No 19 threads yet. Just more of a joke yes. Wasn't even directed at your post.

I thought you got very legit answers and I would .02 I don't want 205hp out if the box but don't want 135 either. Honestly it most about seat position. I love the Apex and "like" the vectors. And loved my 01 Polaris 800xc - nothing like that around anymore.
BUT I am concerned I have read there won't be a 19 Apex. Anyone on this thread hear/read that??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rule # 1, never trust a dealer that is trying to sell you something that might come out 2 years down the road.

Rule # 2, never trust a salesman that is trying to sell you something that might come out 2 years down the road.

Honestly, neither one of them can honestly tell you what is coming out for MY 2018.
What they promise you in the spring @ spring break, might or might not be what you receive in the fall.

Do you really think they actually know anything that far out ?
The oddsmakers are actually saying that there will be no more Apex after 2018.

Nothing negative about your post. It just all these threads about future sleds and what people think what direction Yamaha is going in is very tough on the Mod crew. We spend countless hours in these threads cleaning them up and its getting real old.
The primary design of the website is to help other Yamaha owners with the sleds they have not what they MAY have in two years from now.
Sleds are a pastime/passion not a lifestyle. Some people tend to forget this and lose all sense of self control talking and speculating about sleds.

Are you saying general discussion Apex is only for fixing problems?? Wondering

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back