• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

$31 exhaust mod! VIDEO!

thelake

Extreme
I have modified my exhaust in an attempt to reduce ice boogers
Have a look at the simple job I have done.
Video below.
Jay

I'm sorry to tell you that this has been done before and did nothing to reduce the boogers. Different iterations of this were done, including by myself, where I exited straight out the back with dual tips (looks cool!). Last year I wrapped the muffler and pipe to the back but our crappy season didn't give me much of a chance to see if it made a difference. Next might be to wrap from the headers to the muffler.

BombaPolaYama went through all this and the ONLY thing that got rid of it was completely enclosing the exhaust with a sheet of aluminum.

For reference:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/exhaust-extension-on-vl-updated-wrap-shield-pics.83234/
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/venture-lite-exhaust.72211/#post-630655
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/my-exhaust-extension.123549/
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/tunnel-project-under-way-copper-o-donuts-new-spark-plugs.131277/
(Before I wrapped my exhaust) http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/my-mp-took-a-dump-on-the-trail.134904/

Looking forward to the 'after' pictures of reduced(or not) boogers. Thanks for the compilation of relevant threads Mooseman. As Jay said in the video, he'd been thinking about the problem of boogers.

I put some energy into thinking about boogers my first season. Then I built my shop and stopped thinking about them ... no thinking, no problem. So just as a point of reference for anyone considering an MP I must say that they are no big deal for me. I de-booger the sled easily and effectively every morning with a rubber mallet and then I forget about them all day. I ride daily on packed trails and a lake with little loose snow and I generally cover less than 50km in a day. When conditions conspire and Blue is riding low in the back(reminiscent of a kid with full diapers) he gets a night in the shop.

This is not a booger denial post, it is just to say that the magnitude of the issue is dependent on how you ride and in what conditions. I know that for some of the guys it is a real issue. My sled has been iced up as bad as Jay's is in the video and I can clear it easily the next morning. While I am out riding the snow/ice buildup is too soft to be pounded out easily.

As an aside, we are pretty warm here too. I rode once in October but the snow is going fast now. No worries though because my boat is still in. It stays in until there is shore ice or until the tank is empty and the gas cap is frozen on.

I can't help myself from laughing about all this talk about boogers, like were were taking care of a bunch of toddlers. Wish the sleds would outgrow the boogers.

When I posted, I didn't mean to discourage @thelake , I just didn't want him to get his hopes up too high. From researching, I knew just exiting the exhaust out the back would not help a lot with icing. And having wrapped it, I know that too doesn't help much either. Another thing I learned is that if you wrap it with ordinary exhaust wrap, it will disintegrate if left unprotected so I wrapped the wrap with either aluminum sheet or metal duct tape, like BombaPolaYama did.

Booger on! :p

I just wanted to comment on ice build up on our 4 stroke sleds in general. My first experience with ice build up started the first year I owned a 4S sled, 2005. What I noticed was that the rear exhaust causes ice build up that I never had on my 2S sleds. Now this is not a Venture Lite or an MP, this is on my Vector. The colder the weather the more ice would build up. The next year added an Apex and the same issue as Vector. The third year changed to an after market exhaust on the Apex, this is a smaller muffler with less back pressure and noticed about half the ice build up as the Vector on the same trips. I also added 07 Phazer FX that same time, that was not ridden enough to evaluate. (17 km) I did read a lot about ice build up in the Phazer forum from other members that did get their ride time in. I took the Phazer back to the dealer before the next season and had all the updates done, dealer said 7. I then closed the tunnel holes (front & back) before the season started. I put 1900 km on that season with no issues. Rode a few trips with another local club member who had left his tunnel open and compared ice build up at different stops between the two sleds. My sled with closed tunnel never had any tunnel icing or cooling issues while my friends with the open tunnel had a lot of build up and had to replace his track at the end of the season from having the sides shredded from the ice. With these experiences I think that to eliminate the build up on the Ventures & MPs separating the exhaust from the track area is key. The under tunnel exhaust just seems to add to the build up and going to a low back pressure muffler or straight through design would also be beneficial. These are just a few observations I have made over the last 12 years. I don't own a Venture Lite or MP but if I were to add one to the fleet my wife would kill me.

Good observations Handy. Regards adding an MP to the fleet, I think it might be worth the risk.

Oh! I want one but the war dept. thinks I should only have one not six.

Back