• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4-Stroke Vmax-4 Rebuild

Master of Faster

Lifetime Member
So this will be a little out of the ordinary for this site, but.....it is a 4-stroke. This is my Vmax-4 drag sled with a turbo RX-1 engine that I built about 5 years ago. Originally it was a trail turbo setup at 13 lbs of boost running a 136" wahl skid. Since then, it has gotten a horsepower upgrade which overstepped the limits of the chassis. So what I'm working on now is stretching to a 144 and fixing some of the other shortcomings of the old chassis.

'Before' picture of the sled for reference

Got it torn down to the bulkhead. There was some damage from a blown track many years ago that I wanted to patch up.

Cut out damaged area:

Welded in new:

Bent a new tunnel. Thicker and deeper to stiffen up chassis:

Attaching tunnel:

Suspension mounted:

Laying out running boards:

Finishing back of tunnel:

Tunnel welded and running boards cut:

Current status:

I'll be working on finishing the running board edges and rear foot holds next, and will post updates as it progresses.

That's pretty awesome work there. I will be watching to see how it looks when done.

Very impressed! ;)!

Worked on the foot holds today, mounted seat, and bumper. The foot holds on the last tunnel were clean and sleek looking, but I did slip off of them a couple times. So this time, I decided to go with something pretty aggressive that you can really lock into.

Started with a set of yfz 450 foot pegs:

Cut them down, & capped the ends:

Mounted to the tunnel. I'll be tying these in with the running board edges for additional support once the material comes in.

Starting to make a mess now..... got the running board edges mostly finished and have moved on to wiring. Set the motor in temporarily just for routing purposes. The wiring is all new because I'm going away from the stock ignition to an MSD setup. The only pieces of the stock system I'm using is whats needed to charge the battery.

Here's the latest, been busy the last few weeks trail riding and getting caught up on some other projects, but making good progress now. I'm thinking we're only a couple weeks away from having it ready to fire up and make some test passes (ice permitting).

Got the running board edges all finished up, and dropping off for powdercoat tomorrow

Set the hood on it to finish wiring the gauges

Here's a shot of some of the new wiring harness. We used braided loom for the whole harness, and weatherpack connectors on just about every connection.

Here is the switch panel. Ran the ignition, fuel pump, and gauges all on separate switches. The empty hole is for the tether switch, and the USB port is for programming the ignition.

Been slacking on the pictures lately, but here is where it's at. Got it assembled up to the turbo. Getting close now. Just hoping the weather cooperates to accommodate getting this thing out a couple times.

Back