• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4th wheel kit

#*$&@ i will look at this i didnt realize this is a problem. I was guna just add an outside wheel kit. Maybe i will just machine my own axle and idlers. Are these on all the cats?

#*$&@ i will look at this i didnt realize this is a problem. I was guna just add an outside wheel kit. Maybe i will just machine my own axle and idlers. Are these on all the cats?
JT products 2 wheel kit is only $140, is it worth all that work.

Its not a problem, so to speak. Like anything, if not maintained it can and will fail.
If it fails your screwed because your track aint going to roll.
Earlier models had non removable bearings, newer models have replacable bearings. Stay ontop of them and you will most likely be fine, or change it all, your choice

I will never understand the reasoning behind not changing it....you spend 10k on a sled but cant justify 140 bux to ensure you have no worries of being stranded on the side of the trail or ruin a sled trip?

Its pretty hard to maintain a sealed undersized Chinese bearing that is molded into the cheap linked together wheels.....I like to ride not sit on the side of the trail, therfore i have no issues spending 140 bux to not even remotely worry

If you don't want outside wheels, and feel that you want more than two wheels for security you can do this...

OFT Racing Big Nutz three wheel axel.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have the j&t just tri hub replacement...no outside wheels and LOVE it
Hey Savage, how long have you run this setup? I'm new to the 7000 and don't mind the look of no outer wheels.

I will never understand the reasoning behind not changing it....you spend 10k on a sled but cant justify 140 bux to ensure you have no worries of being stranded on the side of the trail or ruin a sled trip?

Its pretty hard to maintain a sealed undersized Chinese bearing that is molded into the cheap linked together wheels.....I like to ride not sit on the side of the trail, therfore i have no issues spending 140 bux to not even remotely worry

Do you like the way your sled rides with no outside wheels? I still have the stock tri hub and was going to go with J&T's full 4 wheel set up, but after riding my sled 600 miles with no outer idler wheels I kind of like the feel of it. So I'm on the fence. 2 wheels? 4 wheels?

Hey Savage, how long have you run this setup? I'm new to the 7000 and don't mind the look of no outer wheels.
got about 5000kms on my j&t kit...no issues bearings still like new.

Yes i like the look of the no outer wheels and i like to carve feel it helps with that a bit as well

Do you like the way your sled rides with no outside wheels? I still have the stock tri hub and was going to go with J&T's full 4 wheel set up, but after riding my sled 600 miles with no outer idler wheels I kind of like the feel of it. So I'm on the fence. 2 wheels? 4 wheels?
I ride off trail more than on trail, so I prefer no wheels outside the rails for carving and sidehilling. I have not noticed any negatives on trail. Also, I am one that prefer the look of no wheels outside.

9200 miles on my tri hub no issues but going to replace in the off season weigh 250 pounds

ill try to help you out.
its not about spending 140 bucks or any other money.
i put on average 1500 -2000 miles on my sled each year. i go through my skid every off season. i remove the entire skid. i pull every wheel and replace every bearing and wear item. i have been doing this religiously every year, on every sled since 2002, when i bought my first new sled.
when i got the viper, after the first season i pulled the tri hub. machined it for replaceable bearings and also installed the jt outer wheels.
i have NEVER ever had a bearing fail on me during the season and don't believe i ever will because i maintain my stuff.
by the way, i also get my bearings free so all this costs me is my time over the summer.
also, the new hubs have replaceable bearings. if you stay on top of it. it is not an issue

ill try to help you out.
its not about spending 140 bucks or any other money.
i put on average 1500 -2000 miles on my sled each year. i go through my skid every off season. i remove the entire skid. i pull every wheel and replace every bearing and wear item. i have been doing this religiously every year, on every sled since 2002, when i bought my first new sled.
when i got the viper, after the first season i pulled the tri hub. machined it for replaceable bearings and also installed the jt outer wheels.
i have NEVER ever had a bearing fail on me during the season and don't believe i ever will because i maintain my stuff.
by the way, i also get my bearings free so all this costs me is my time over the summer.
also, the new hubs have replaceable bearings. if you stay on top of it. it is not an issue
So for those who dont have replaceable bearing tri hubs your advice is void.....Its great you get free bearings, me and im sure most of us dont, nor do all of us have the equipment to machine out the tri hub nor want to waste the time.

I'm a do it myself kind of guy too, but some things just don't make sense, plus time is money!!!

Back