• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A few facts about ICE.

DaveRX1

Expert
Here are a few facts about ice. I have lived on a lake for my entire life (38 Years). I have also worked on rivers in Maine for the past 17 years (Hydro electric plants). I have made a hobby of observing the ice, how it forms and "how much is enough"

Lake ice (still water) will form at a rate of 1" every 24 hours on average, as long as the temp average is 15 deg F or less.

3-4" of clear "black ice" is fine for ice skating, white ice or "snow ice" is not as strong as black ice and should be 20% thicker than black ice to be considdered safe.

5-6" of black ice is required for safe snowmobile travel and 8" should be present before parking several sleds together.

River ice is inconsistant in its strength and thickness and must be 1.5 times thicker than lake ice for safe travel.

Know the body of water that you are traveling on! Esp in early season make sure you know where the "spring holes" and where stream/rivers cause thin areas in the ice.

Have fun and ride safe!

Nice safe post, I have had a 6000lb. truck out plowing a race track on 8" of black ice. It was completely shattered when the track was done, but no water seeped thru :Rockon:

Back