• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A possible cam chain tensioner failure

Just over 3,000 miles on my 05 Vector. It was noisy so I changed it and now the noise is gone.

guess i need to give a listen to the motor. i have almost 4,000 mi on my 06. and there is plentyof noise under the hood. i just thought it was clutches.

talked with dealr today they cant warranty it. and they told me that there is no warning, the tensioner over tighten the chain until it braks closing valves with the pistons(interference style engine). i suspect there will be also bearing failure because of the chain being too tight. this is a very expensive repair if the tensioner fails. they quoted me approx 5 hours labor, 140 for tensioner, oil, filter, misc shop supplies. grand total about $500.00. cheaper than an engine i guess, i'm slightly bothered by this as we buy these on the sales quote that you will not have to do anything to the motor until the 25,000 mi valve adjustment and then usually there is no adjustment necessary once they get in there. i think it should be a across the board recall on all affected models not just the 07's.

I thought that the outcome of the defect, if it happens, was a too loose of a chain. Which is in line with "rattle" noise, damaged drive sprocket and sloppy idling. Too tight would probably be perfect valve timing but whinning sound, more like too tight of a chancase chain.

Dealer was not too wrong... i have 25K, with no probs and no valve adjustment just yet. This thread does not prevent me to go to nowhere at -30. ..so far she's happy when i start the engine.

I have a 2006 RS Rage. It is dead. I made a detailed post, please read,

The Yamaha customer relations person I spoke with said the service bulletin someone posted here is NOT true!

They claim it does not cover my 2006 RS Rage.

beware!

chemdude said:
I have a 2006 RS Rage. It is dead. I made a detailed post, please read,

The Yamaha customer relations person I spoke with said the service bulletin someone posted here is NOT true!

They claim it does not cover my 2006 RS Rage.

beware!

The bulletin posted was not a service bulletin. It was a Yamaha Tech Exchange sent to their dealers to make them aware of a possible problem with the tensioner. If you read through earlier posts you would have realized that. I've talked to several dealers about this problem and many of them don't remember getting the exchange which probably means they didn't take the time to read it.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Rage. The Tech Exchange lists it as one of the models with the possiblity of a cam chain tensioner failure.

I attached the Exchange as a download:

Attachments

• Cam Chain Tensioner Failure.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 301
I have 2 vectors--06 8000+ miles, 07 4000+ miles. I am going to change the tensioners--Thanks to you guys-- . Looks to me the seat--tank need to be removed and the right hand engine mount bolt. Am i correct.
Thanks

I have 11,000 miles on my 06 Vector. I'm going to ride her till she blows. I don't really hear any tensioner noise and since it has gone this far, I think (hope) I got one of the good ones. I'll keep listening, but I'm not going to change it out just because. It's going to be wifes sled soon anyway I hope.

We have an '07 rage and have had no problems but now I am starting to think it may be worth replacing the tensioner before anything major happens.
Is the tensioner just a bolt in part? From what i am reading it doesn't sound like the Block need to be opened to get to this part.

I don't understand why some dealers changed out the tensioner while others won't. Last April,09 my dealer made me aware of the Tensioner problem and Yamaha did it out of Warranty at no cost to me. He also did about 25 other sleds before me. I have an 05 RS Vector ER with 5,000 miles. The likelyhood of a tensioner failing is very small but when it is you, it is 100% according to my dealer. A few years ago, Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl had this very same problem where the tensioner failed and the timing chain would cut into the casting and into the water jacket causing anti freeze to flood the engine. I don't think Toyota rushed forward to fix the problem back then. It just seems that there should be some consistancy here and that Yamaha would replace them all. I am very greateful that Yamaha and my dealer did this for me and I wasn't out $700.00.
Who is your dealer? I live in Central MA and may want to bring my '05 Rage to them to have mine done. Hopefully on Yamaha's dime.

Who is your dealer? I live in Central MA and may want to bring my '05 Rage to them to have mine done. Hopefully on Yamaha's dime.

FYI -- you replied to a thread that's over 6 years old. Highly doubtful that Yamaha will pick up the tab.

FYI -- you replied to a thread that's over 6 years old. Highly doubtful that Yamaha will pick up the tab.
Why you such a Debbie downer all the time?[emoji6]

Ya.... not gonna happen anymore chief. If you're worried, which you should, fix it yourself or find a local guy who's cheaper on labor than your Yamaha stealer.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back